HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
Marily

Question to those who recently went off Herceptin

Hi, I am just about at 6 months off Herceptin. So far all the CTC COUNTS, AND ALYSA, OR SIEMENS have been in normal limits but slowly raising. What puzzles me is that after all this time, I still have side effects I blamed on Herceptin; like mouth sores, cramping all over, sever itching deep down and mostly at night, chemo brain persists and others.
1 how are you doing ?
2. are you continuing to have side effects?
3 are you continuing to have ct/pet scans and blood tests?
4 Is your brain fog clearing up?
5 how are you doing mentally?
6 are you cnsidering go ing back on or have already done so?
thank you for your help..Marily
Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Brenda_D

Hi Marily. I'm about 9 months out and most of the things I attributed to Herceptin have disappeared.
I don't know what Stage you are, so don't know if you are on 1 year tx or more. I have to wonder what your chemo was, if any?
Chemo brain for me, was associated with A/C chemo and not the Herceptin so much, and my mental state is much improved. I am no longer having scans. Tumor markers for me have always been in the normal range, so I don't count on them. For me being stage 3, further Herceptin is not an option at this time.
edit- ok, I went back and looked at your first post and dx, and see your post is better answered by one of stage IV ladies.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
vickie h

Hi Marily,
I am about 1 year off Herceptin. I didn't have any of those symptoms (except the brain fog from chemo). I did have mouth sores, but upped my vitamin B6 uptake to 100-200mg a day and they went away in a week. Sometimes mouth sores are tied to our digestive system (since they are a part of that digestive tract) and the diligent use of probiotics can clear them up, as well, as sufficient vitamin C.
I am about to go back on Herceptin next week, along with Navelbine and Cytoxin. Though I am not looking forward to the chemo, I am happy to have the Herceptin back. Try adding some B6 and probiotics and hopefully that will clear the problem up.
Love, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Lani

Marily

IF you look at the thread about giving your two cents re herceptin thread under the herceptin/tykerb board, lots of others have chimed in on what symptoms seemed to have resolved after stopping herceptin, etc
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Marily

Vicky, and Brenda
Thank you for the information I do take the b and c vitamins, but will try increasing the b.

Hugs Marily
"Worry looks around, sorry looks back, Faith looks up.."

Nov. 1999 small lump r breast.
Jan 2000 Stage IV her2+++e+++p+++ liver lungs bones
chemo A/C followed by Taxol/herceptin
2001 surgery r breast, 13 lymph nodes
severe infection day 3 t 104, lost r breast and open wound abdomine , Neutropenia hospitalized x 4,

on wound vac 4 months.
due to failure to heal (missed window for radiation... Which was ok by me)
Herceptin until 2008, with tamoxofin 3 years,
2003 oophorectomy to go off tamox and go on Aromasin
continue with Aromasin
2004 CHF muga left ventricular failure ..@21
cardiac meds and diuretics O2 at night
2005 capped two teeth due to canals found in teeth
2007 neck surgery replace 3 bones disintegrating failed to grow third bone (damage to nerve, l side face eye lid droop, paralyzed pupil and l vocal chord. (Some response to pupil back and learned to redirect vocal tones.)
2008 redid neck surgery added 4th bone replacement and brace. New bones have compressed and need surgery to tunnel and relieve arm and face pain. Lower back bones now have no cushioning causing leg pain, spasm and weakness...
Oct 2008 Dancing with NED off Herceptin (two strong allergic responses to Herceptin increased choice to go off)
no tumor markers... so do Alysa going up from 6 to 9.9 CTC from 0 to 1 in six months off
will have ct/pet next week.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
StephN

Dear Marily -
Gosh, I was thinking about you and wondering how you were feeling with these months off the Herceptin.
Since I did not ever have some of those symptoms you mention from Herceptin, I may not be a good person to answer. I found Herceptin to be quite gentle on my system.

However, after 3 months off (a break, since I am stage IV), the cramps of hands, legs and feet are sharply reduced. Nice to get a night's sleep without those pains!

Energy level seems to be a little better. Can exercise longer and handle more weight and resistence, but I DO work at that. Not much of a walker, except for errands and shopping!

Getting lab work with CA27-29 and CEA every 6 weeks. Will have my annual HER2 serum test with next week's labs.

MUGA - getting that next week as well, before my visit with onc.

I may extend my Herceptin Holiday depending on my results and what kind of close surveillance we decide on.

For cognitive function I am doing more crossword puzzles and other brain specific challenges. Making myself go through a lot of old business and personal files that badly need purging. It is work to decide what to keep and why.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
While I found the "long term" challenges from chemo and Herceptin challenging and there certainly have been long term effects, I have now inherited a whole new set!

Perhaps what is needed is an appointment to specifically address those problems and see what can be done to alleviate each. Perhaps not all of them can be fixed, but hopefully a more agressive approach toward them would help you.

I hope you find solutions to many of them. Many people take fro granted the side effects that change people (not just in cancer) and think we should all just be glad to be alive etc.

Maybe there are additional resources and publications that could help you help yourself address them more - such as organice foods, changes of diet etc. that would help you. It is something I've been thinking about doing.....hopefully I will remember you if I find anything of great help.

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Paty

Dear Marily,

Tomorrow one year ago I had my last infusion of Herceptin. So far so good. To answer your questions I can tell you that:
1.- I feel fine so far, sometimes a little tired.
2.- I have not been ordered to have a muga test or being seen by my cardiologist to check on my heart. I still feel some bone pain and some very small cramps in my legs, but keep on eating my bananas every day.
3.-I have my control test every three months. Bone scan only once a year- I had it in Febrary and was all normal. No blood tests.
4 and 5.- My brain seems to be fine but sometimes I find it hard remembering things, even at work my boss has noticed it. It is not severe, but it sort of scares me.
6.- I do not think my doctor is considering now more herceptin in the meantime.

Hope this helps.

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Westcoastgirl

Probiotics

Hi Vicky, for what it is worth I just finished talking to the pharmacist at my cancer clinic today about the different supplements I was taking during chemo and she wants me off of probiotics because there is a slight risk with a depressed immune system to developing a reaction to the live bacteria in probiotics. She said there has even been a documented death?? I am very disappointed as I agree with you. Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote