HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
karenfritzohare

Unhappy Aromasin

Can anyone tell me about their experience with Aromasin?
I have been taking this drug since August, and I don't feel I can continue. My entire body is in pain. My feet and hands hurt always.
I see my onc. on Tuesday. I need to make a decision.
Can anyone help?
Thank you.
karenfritzohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
karen raines hunt

aromasin

HI,
I have been on Aromasin for about 1.5 yrs. My oncologist prescribed Celobrex for my joint pain, which helps, but I think exercise helps the most. Good luck.
Karen
2 positive axillary lymph nodes
ER+/PR+, Her 2 +++
Bilateral mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction, A/C, Taxol, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Aromasin
5 yrs since diagnosis and NED
karen raines hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Marily

Hello Karen, I have been on Aromasin for three years. Yes I have aches in hands and feet and spine. I take extra strength tylenol have been on NYSAIDS which worked well but I am loosing bone density, and had to have surgery on my c spine So I had to stop the NYSAIDS. (Ketoprofin) I chose Aromasin because it seemed to cause less side effects?... but my girlfriend who was also on it, switched to another after having problems and is doing better now. So ask your Dr for one of the other meds....I chose to stay On Aromasin since it was not something I could not handle with the NYSAIDS non steroidal anti inflamatories.. but off for the past three months have been really hard.. the pain has intensified with just Tylenol and I am awaiting the day I can go back on the NYSAIDS. I feel like and old woman hobbling around lol... Dr Slamon told me to go off the Aromasin also, when I saw him... but I just quit Herceptin, and have a new onc, so that was just too much...
good luck and hugs
Marily

Last edited by Marily; 11-09-2008 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: need to clarify..
Marily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
karenfritzohare

Do either of you think the intensity of these pains will diminish with time?
I am just getting the hot flashes to subside a bit with neurontin. The effexor that helped me with the 18 months of tamoxifan, did nothing for the aromasin.
I have my first bone density scan on Tuesday as well.
I have been taking 1600 to 2400 mg of ibuprofin daily for this pain.
I find exercise helps to a point, but when I stop, or even sit for a while, it is all I can do to get moving. I have never had to deal with pain like this before. This is so different from the "good" pain one might feel from exercise and stretching.

Thanks for your help! I can't wait to get to this checkup.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Cannon

Hi, I'd recommend trying a different aromatase inhibitor -- although some people told me they're all the same, my reaction to femara was vastly better than to arimidex. Can't hurt (ha-no joke) to try...
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
Jean

Oh Cannon love your humor and your beautiful dog!
I had switched from Arimidex which was causing joint pain in toes and fingers...now on Femara and the improvemnt was great...still have some joint pain but it is mild when compared to Arimidex...I would consider making a switch as your body may not respond as harsh to another.

Best of luck,
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
karen raines hunt

aromasin

HI,

I was also on Tamoxifen for about 1.5 yrs, but the aches and pains were not as bad as with Aromasin. I wish I could say the pains would get better, but just recently mine seem to have gotten worse. I had hot flashes with Tamoxifen and some with Aromasin, but that is not too much of a problem now. I did have a significant decrease in my bone density after 1 yr of Aromasin. Fortunately, my bones were very good to start with, but my oncologist still prescribed a bisphosphonate. I am now taking Boniva once/month.

Karen
2 positive axillary lymph nodes
ER+/PR+, Her 2 +++
Bilateral mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction, A/C, Taxol, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Aromasin
5 yrs since diagnosis and NED
karen raines hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
karenann

I have been on Aromasin for3 years now and I have pain in my finger joints, back and foot (off and on). I exercise a lot and that seems to really help. When the pain gets intolerable, I take an Advil.

Hope you feel better soon.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Petesmom

Hi,

I've been on Aromasin for almost 3 years now. I experienced awful joint pain for about a year. I took Celexa (30 mgs per day for about a year) which really helped and continued to walk and do what I normally do. I have no symptoms at all. If you can, try to stick with it and do try to exercise to keep those joints and muscles active. You could possibly switch to one of the others which helps some women. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Petesmom

"Treat each day as a new life"

Diagnosis
1998 IDC, 8mm tumor; node neg Her2-; ER/PR + lumpectomy right breast; rads; Fareston for 5 yrs;
2005 recurrence right breast; DCIS with IDC 7mm (total involvement), Her2+++. ER/PR+; simple mast; prophylactic ooph; Arimidex only
NED
Petesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
karenfritzohare

OK, so onc. stopped Aromasin last Tuesday. One week and I feel alive again.
I have NEVER felt pains like I did from that drug. I was barely able to move. It started in my feet ( which still ache , but are 500% better) to my fingers, to my hips and arms. I was waking up during the night, flashing and hurting.
I am still taking the Neurontin for the flashing.
I see Dr. on the 25th.
I would be grateful for any suggestions as Aromasin was supposed to be the AI with the fewest side effects.
Thanks! K
Old 11-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
harrie

I would suggest switching to Femara or Arimadex.
Give it a try and see what happens.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
Barbara2

I would also suggest trying either Femara or Arimidex. They, too, many cause bone or muscle pain, but ANSAIDS may help with those issues.

I've taken Arimidex since 2003...I'm stiff...but over time it seems to be getting a little less so; either that or I've just adjusted to it mentally. I do try to walk 30 minutes a day, which is also probably a benefit.

I have aches that come and go in my ribs. The ribs seem especially sensitive, but I figure I can tollerate these things if it will keep the cancer from recurring. When it is especially bothersome I take an anti-inflamatory and go to bed with the heating pad (for the back ribs) or "bed buddy"...the beans that are warmed up in the microwave. The bed buddy is good for wrapping around the front ribs.

I also have taken Actonel, and now Zometa for bone loss from the Arimidex. These drugs have also caused discomfort, but not enough to make me stop taking them.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote