HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #21
Becky

Hi Kim

I just had to say hello. Oddly, I got an email from Vicki today and hadn't heard from her in quite awhile.

If I were you, I would make an appointment to see Eric Winer at Dana Farber (since it is not extraordinarily a long drive for you) and discuss with him what his opinion is about going off of Herceptin (or lengthening the time between infusions - a weaning off process perhaps). Dr. Winer is an expert in Her2 bc as well and may be able to give some good advice to you on this subject.

Big hug to you!

Love, Becky

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #22
rcj11

My wife, Kathleen, was NED for 6 years maintained on Herceptin only. 6 months after she ceased the Herceptin infusions her cancer returned with multiple mets. She was removed from Herceptin because of fear of heart damage. In hindsight we should not have made that decision. We can't prove that the herceptin was still effective when she stopped taking it, but why take the chance especially when new research indicates that long term use of Herceptin does not increase risk of heart damage.

For information on Kathleen's treatment since the cancer returned see thread under "Ixabepilone & Tykerb. While the result of her treatment with ixabepilone & tykerb was favorable at 1st, her cancer returned while taking only Tykerb as a maintenance drug. She is now back on Herceptin & Abraxane but only for the past 2 weeks ( weekly infusions) so too early to know the effects. Our prayer is that the Herceptin is still effective for her.
rcj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #23
StephN

Question

Hi again -
rcj11's post reminded me that I don't think I mentioned that just prior to taking my 3-month Herceptin Holiday I had a Pet/Ct, complete labs and the HER2 serum assay. I was so clean on the scan and rock steady normal on everything else that I decided to take the break.

I am now wondering if RCJ11's Kathleen had a total screening before getting off Herceptin. The fact that her cancer returned so quickly makes me ask.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #24
Marily

Hi,
I just wrote a note in the using Bayer her2 Alysa thread. when I started it was way at the beginning for its use my onc was always open to what I researched ... and I had no tumor markers at stage IV.
I just saw Dr Slamon and stopped using Herceptin about 8 weeks ago been on it for 7 1/2 years and started allgery reaction to it 1 year ago... I was also told I could stop Aromasin but I have not done this...
way too many changes too soon,..
(I also lost my onc who has been with me for 8 years so...now I wonder while Denny was so sure about stopping...and he looked So sure so truthful and smiling and made me feel so good about it....
Well I am now one of the group who did!!
we pray for the best and live to the fullest...
Hugs Marily
Marily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #25
rcj11

StephN
Kathleen did have screenings before discontinuing Herceptin, complete except no CTC test. I wasn't aware of that test at the time & her oncologist didn't use the test until I insisted on it last month.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #26
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Ever Vigilant

I too wanted to add -- in June 2008 I had my every 6 mnth CT scans (chest/abd/pelv). STABLE.

I also had my annual mammography and sonogram. And my complete blood work, with tumor markers. Had blood work in September. All NORMAL.

At the end of July I stopped Herceptin. It has a long shelf life my onc says. Stays in the system for quite a while.

Am due for next blood work in November (usually ev 3 mnths). Due for next 6 mnth CT scans in December.

Due for full blood work in November.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #27
mamacze

Rcj11 - I am heartsick that your wife recurred so quickly after going off; and you are right to advise caution. Thank you so much for weighing in. What is her CTC test result? Would you advise CTC screening, now after what you have experienced?
Marily and Andi, you are both so inspirational. Thank you for sharing your stories. marily, I wonder if Dr. Slamon has criteria for how long we need to be NED on Herceptin before he recommends we go off - do you know?
Thank you all again for your kind comments.
Love Kim from CT

ps Becky - a big hug back at you...I miss your company - and if i could just clone your fine thinking mind...!! i hear from Vicki occasionally as well; she is good at staying in touch!

Last edited by mamacze; 10-10-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: need a PS !
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #28
Marily

stopping Herceptin

Sorry, Dr. Slamon did not give me criteria for how long we need to be NED on Herceptin before he recommends we go off - He told me "Since pt has been on Herceptin since 01 with rtn- ok to stop. (may have developed antibodies to Herceptin.)"
He told me that since seeing him a year ago when he could not give me a definate answer..they have more data on it and he recommends stopping.I guess I was so ? relieved in what he said I did not ask him where to find that criteria. I will try to see if it is possible to see that.
hugs

ps does anyone understand sigpic??? M
Old 10-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #29
kk1

Hi Kim;

It's is so great to hear from you and that you are doing well. I just got back from a great trip to Tuscany and read you pm. This is a great thread you started and I'd like to add a few thoughts.

Steph's comment that you need a complete re-staging prior to ceasing Herceptin is right on target. A few years ago my Onc started the discussion that we should start thinking about maybe stopping H since I had been NED for several years. We started by being flexible on when I came for treatment. Basically come in every three weeks unless I had a conflict with travel or work. Often I was only coming in every 5-6 weeks, we kept scaning every 6 months and doing the CTC's every 6-8 weeks. All seemed to be going well after another year so we decided to stop the H completely--but before doing so he wanted to do a complete restaging will all the various scans, CT/PET top to bottom, brain MRI, bone scan, heart ect. Several of my other doc's thought all this testing was over kill but he said for both of our peace of mind he wanted to make sure we looked under all the rocks. Indeed even though both my CTC's and serum were low they found a small regrowth of what we believe was the original lesion in my liver so I never went off. I think it must have been growing very slowly and finally got large enough to just barely show up on the PET/CT scans. I got back to NED again with a liver resection and continued H and and AI only. The decision to not do any "nasty" chemo for this second reoccurence was based on the fact that the CTC's we low so we hoped that it was still localized. This NED lasted for another couple of years when the darn thing grew again in my liver with low CTC and serum. We added Tykerb/Xeloda to the H and I quickly regained NED. I doubt I will ever stop H, while I do get reoccurences I think the H is slowing it down and 6 months scan lets us know when/if we need to take out a bat and slap it down, while the CTC's tells us how hard we need to swing and how big of a bat. Kind of like a whack mole game.

With the current state of knowledge I don't think anyone can say with any certainly if you should or shouldn't go off. But for me my gut feeling from reading this board and my own experience is I would need 8-10 years of continous NED before I would consider stoping.

take care enjoy the fall leaves
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #30
rcj11

From RCJ11,

The CTC test was taken 1 week after she began weekly Herceptin & Abraxane infusions. The test showed NO ctc's. She will be given another test 4 weeks after beginning treatment & I will report results.

Can anyone explain this CTC test result so quickly after beginning new treatment when PET scan 1 week earlier showed significant progression? Is the test unreliable or unable to pick-up certain kinds of circulating cells? Please reply with any experiences having similar results or possible explanations.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #31
Jackie07

Found this off the <Georgetownuniversity.org> website:

September 11, 2008

Test Can Help Patient Determine Treatment Changes Earlier

A simple blood test could tell women with advanced breast cancer whether or not their treatments are working earlier than current methods. With the goal of tailoring cancer treatment for each individual, Minetta Liu, MD, researcher at Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center and breast oncologist at Georgetown University Hospital, is studying this test with the hope that it will help doctors more reliably assess treatment efficacy for patients with metastatic breast cancer.

“It can take several weeks and sometimes months to determine if a particular cancer treatment is working because it can take that long to observe any significant radiographic changes in tumor size or appearance,” said Dr. Liu. “With this new blood test, we have a tool that might allow us to determine much sooner if a therapy is ineffective so that we can change therapy earlier and potentially make more significant improvements in survival.”

One of Dr. Liu’s patients, fifty-year-old Anne Crupi of Maryland, was diagnosed with stage-four breast cancer in October 2005. Anne received chemotherapy and radiation and then underwent various scans to determine if her treatments were working. In addition, as a part of Dr. Liu’s study, Anne has a tube of blood drawn every month to see if there are cancer cells circulating in her blood stream. “I just think that if I can learn earlier that my chemo isn’t working, if it stops working, then I can switch treatments without having to wait too long. I thought if it would help me or someone else, I would be happy to do it. ”

Using the FDA-approved CellSearch™ technology, Dr. Liu and colleagues at Georgetown University Hospital measured the number of circulating tumor cells (CTC) in blood collected from women with metastatic breast cancer. The number of CTCs was correlated with disease response or progression as determined by standard radiology studies.

Based on previous research, a CTC count of five was used as the threshold. Dr. Liu and her colleagues observed a big difference between patients with CTC levels of 5 and above compared to those below 5. Seventy-one percent of patients who had a CTC count greater than or equal to five had disease progression, compared to only 32 percent of patients with a CTC count of less than five.

“A CTC count of five or greater at the time of restaging was associated with a 5.2 fold increase in a patient’s chance of having disease progression compared to CTC counts of less than five,” explained Dr. Liu.

“So far the good news is that my number has always been zero or one,” said Anne Crupi. “And it’s so easy. All they do is take a small tube of blood.”

Additional data suggest that the CTC assay is a more reliable means of assessing treatment response than other traditional serum based tumor markers currently in use. Currently, Dr. Liu serves at the national principal investigator of a clinical study that will evaluate the CTC results within the framework of a randomized clinical trial – eliminating possible variability caused by treatments administered.

“We have many treatment options for advanced breast cancer. The key is to find the most effective therapy for each patient. It shouldn’t take months to figure that out,” Dr. Liu concluded.

Media Contact: Marianne Worley
202-444-4659
mw32@georgetown.edu
Patient Contact: 202-342-2400

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-16-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #32
Val Pfeiffer

hi Kim--
It was great to see your post, and I'm glad you're well. As you know I was stage 3B, not stage 4, but I stayed on Herceptin alone for about 16-18 months after my initial treatments, and then chose to have quarterly Herceptin thereafter. I continued that until June, which was about another 2 years. I decided to quit that because I was afraid I might stop responding to Herceptin, and if I progress to Stage 4 I will need it again in the future. Different situation, but I wanted to share, and it was an excuse to say hello!

It stinks that I haven't had time to keep up with reading many posts on this site, but I can barely keep up at work and with school, so I don't have much time!

Take care!!
Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #33
rcj11

I promised to report test results.
Monday Kathi's PET scan showed her to be NED. This follows 2 CTC tests that reported no circulating tumor cells. This is, of course, great news. Herceptin seems to still be working for her. Also, confirms accuracy of CTC test that we can use in the future to watch re-activation of disease. The plan is for at least 2, maybe 4, additional cycles of Abraxane with Herceptin. Then maintenance on Herceptin. At first, I will insist on monthly CTC tests. Later, the CTC test will be less frequent, probably quarterly or whenever symptoms arise. We will not again abandom Herceptin unless it ceases to be effective & the cancer returns.

I hope this is helpfull

rcj11
Old 11-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #34
Vic

Hi Kim, it's so nice to hear from you

What a treat to hear from you, Kim, and I've been joining in more lately, too, as Becky mentioned. Funny how we all surface about the same time around and I'm glad for that!

I can't offer any suggestions, but it sounds like you gleaned what you needed from all these great responses.

Miss you and glad you are doing fab,

XOXOXO,

Vicki

Paget's of the nipple, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and DCIS of the rt breast
Bloom-Richardson score 8/9, P53+ 60-70%, Ki-67+ 30-40%
Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate lat-flap reconstruction and saline implants, 1/04
Chemo: FAC, five sessions every three weeks Feb.-May 04, then switched to HTC weekly for 12 weeks, June-Aug 04
Zometa every 6 months for osteopenia, started April 09
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #35
Joan M

Kim,

You're having great results with Herceptin, and I can understand how it's a hard decision to go off of it. Being stage IV since spring 2007 with one met to the lung that was cleared up via a wedge resection and then subsequently with radiofrequency ablation in 2008 when it recurred, and with recent brain surgery for a single met, I'll be on the drug for a while as long as my heart holds out.

It's the only drug I've been taking since my cancer advanced because with the local treatments for the lung and brain I then became NED. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to add Xeloda and/or Tykerb, but will have my brain radiation first in a few weeks.

I'm curious about the CTC test, and plan to ask my oncologist about getting the test.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #36
Marily

Just an Update on stopping Herceptin

I met my new Oncologist last week, and although he did not know of anyone doing the CTC he said I could have it done ,... so our lab looked it up and ordered the kit (a purple and pink topped vial.)
I am now 4 months off Herceptin
We Just did the CT/Pet scan the CTC and the ALYSA. Last week.
I received my results today.....
CT/PET clean, CTC 0%, AND ALYSA down from 9.5 to 7. So I am still Dancing with NED! We will continue with both blood tests every 6 weeks and every 3 months CT/PET. He also felt I should not go off Aromasin.. My Dr is from Canada and said there they use these drugs more to control cancer and here we use more chemo... So he feels it is best I stay on the Aromasin. So far all is well and I like my new Onc. He listens, and he is willing to try new things. (since I go in prepared with all sorts of information) we had a very good talk about where to go from here and we seem to be on the same wave length.. THANK YOU GOD! Hugs and I will keep you posted
Old 11-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #37
rcj11

God makes the ultimate decisions, but we make most of the daily decision. Keep on top of your treatment. Drs are not all knowing & need your guidance.

Kathi & I are really happy for you. Keep in touch.
rcj11