HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Lani

now they are moving in on how/why of weight gain during chemotherapy 4 breast cancere

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010 Jun 10. [Epub ahead of print]
Circulating sphingosine-1-phosphate inversely correlates with chemotherapy-induced weight gain during early breast cancer.
Pchejetski D, Nunes J, Sauer L, Sidhu J, Sharma A, Keun HC, Waxman J, Stebbing J.

Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College, London, UK, d.pshezhetskiy@imperial.ac.uk.
Abstract
Weight gain in women receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer is associated with a higher risk of recurrence. Using metabonomic profiling, we recently reported that plasma lactate and alanine were prognostic for weight gain in individuals with breast cancer receiving chemotherapy. The role of lipid second messengers has not been studied. We assessed serum levels of sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P), a known secreted lipid second messenger with a role in cell growth, in sequential samples from post-menopausal women receiving standard chemotherapy for early breast cancer and correlated these with body mass measurements and metabonomic profiling. While serum S1P levels prior to treatment did not correlate with body weight changes or circulating alanine and lactate, S1P levels measured during therapy were inversely correlated with weight gain (P = 0.04), but not weight loss (P = 0.74) or no change in weight (P = 0.5), suggesting a role of dynamic circulating S1P in adipocyte growth. These data provide evidence for an association between serum S1P and weight gain during chemotherapy cycles in women with breast cancer. Lipid second messengers have a role in chemotherapy-induced weight gain in breast cancer.

PMID: 20535545
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
sarah

Re: now they are moving in on how/why of weight gain during chemotherapy 4 breast can

Lani you are always a source of great info, although some of I have trouble understanding!
Thanks for this. Personally I gained 15 lbs during chemo and have not lost it. I assumed it was because my metabolism shut down totally, I was constantly tired. Had Taxol and Herceptin every week for 6 months for a recurrence. Before the chemo I was 125 lbs for 5'6" now I'm 140 and I've changed up several sizes. I've never had to diet before it my life and when I try, it doesn't seem to do any good. Most of my life I was between 108 lbs and 118 lbs, only putting on the extra 7 slowly after 45 years of age. Now I'm 64. I'll see my oncologist shortly and show this to him.
health and happiness
sarah
Old 06-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
Hopeful

Re: now they are moving in on how/why of weight gain during chemotherapy 4 breast can

This study is interesting, but omits one very important factor: the role of the steriods given as support drugs during chemotherapy on metabolism and weight gain. To say that this is "chemotherapy-induced weight gain" leaves a rather large elephant in the room, IMO.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
freyja

I agree. I think the steroids have even more to do with it. I've heard from other people with other cancers that the same thing happened to them, and the weight seems to be just as stubborn to come off for everyone, too. Can they study to find a way to lose the weight?!

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
fullofbeans

and what about the psychological effect of chemo, I know that the first time I was dx and then on treatment I developped a bad relationship with food and started to eat out of comfort and worries..and it was an habit that took 1.5 year after treatment to check off.

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 06-11-2010 at 11:49 AM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
1rarebird

This is very interesting, but I think there other explanations for chemo-related weight gain. I added 25 lbs during my Taxotere/Carboplatin months. I had great fatigue and edema in my legs. The T/C worked on my bone marrow, accounting for the fatigue. And my doctor told me the edema was an unfortunate consequence of the Taxotere. I am happy to report that I have now lost almost all of that 25 lbs once the chemo was over and edema tapered off. So I think that lipid concentration increases don't tell the full story here. I could be wrong--many times I am.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Jackie07

I gained weight during my chemo also. But I gain weight every time I recover from a serious illness/an operation. I finally realized that I'd been underweight most of my life. So now I eat whenever I feel like and eat whatever I feel like. I know I will go work out (walking) if I 'feel' there's extra fat somewhere in my body. Since I've never been overweight in my life, my concern is more on the underweight side. And I really need to be careful. Everytime I was under 120 lb, I eventually found out there's a serious illness involved. No kidding! It happened everytime.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
swimangel72

Chemo makes a person so sick and tired, no wonder we gain weight - we're lucky to get up and shower and get dressed forgetabout any kind of serious exercise! Even now, two years after my tx's, my level of exercise intensity has dropped off - but it all started when I hit menopause - the lack of estrogen in my body started the upward weight climb which I was able to keep a little bit in check by increasing my exercise - but now, I feel I need to starve myself and workout like a maniac just to lose two pounds, sigh..........
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
hutchibk

Exactly, Kathy. It's a beast created by feeling low (energy and emotion), being sedentary, menopause, eating more to curb nausea, steroids, and then probably exacerbated by the "lipid second messengers" ~ or maybe the other way around... but I have a hard time believing the S1P would be the only culprit. Researchers need to open all their eyes sometimes.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
AlaskaAngel

Steroids are known to be a weight gain factor for many. What hasn't been recognized is the intensity or degree of the problem the use of them promotes, that then can feed into recurrence by weight gain that is harder to manage.

The vast majority of breast cancer patients are older and menopausal, and when steroid use is piled on top of that, it isn't just a matter of conscientious exercise and dieting for this group. It includes more muscle loss, and greater muscle fatigue.

I really think they are wasting time and lives by not actively seeking to identify some kind of minimal support for this physiologic permanent change in our metabolism, such as carefully investigating whether or not some very low dose of a diabetic support drug ALONG WITH proper conscientious diet and exercise would help us.

But I think that first they need to admit that the problem is genuine. From what I can see on a personal basis, the problem is that one has to stay on a zero tolerance diet/exercise plan, which leaves NO room for any deviation at all -- no "time off" for any reason, whether for handling emergencies, dealing with economic factors, feeling ill, etc. And eventually we lose ground because real life won't let us.

Medical providers see a lot of people who truly don't make the effort in the first place. But the truth is that this problem is happening to a lot of the people in the group who do make a consicentious effort. We got here with the steroids and treatment and we need help with the result.

I have to add here that in my opinion, in effect they are patting themselves on the back for "saving lives" but they aren't realizing AND taking responsibility for the role the steroids can play in setting a number of us up to recur.

A.A.

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 06-12-2010 at 12:19 PM..
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
vlcarr

I've also gained weight but not sure how much yet. I've never owned a scale and will not weigh again until I get my last herceptin on the 24th of this month. When I was on the tykerb/herceptin trial I lost weight. During chemo I pretty much maintained my weight. However, once chemo was over and while on radiation is when I noticed my weight going back up.

The other odd thing I've noticed is how much I crave sweets. I've never in my whole life leaned toward sweets, not the carbs/chips, etc where a different story. So, not only did I go through all the treatment, I also went into chemopause and it seems like every time I turn around I crave something sweet!!!

I've had several surgeries in my life, including one that confined me to a wheelchair for 3 months and always I've lost weight.

As someone who struggled with being too heavy during their teenage years and as a young adult, I find this very frustrating. I kept thinking when I get back to my normal activity it will get better.....sigh.

The sweet cravings seem to be getting somewhat better but I can definitely tell the weight is creeping upward.

On a positive note, my hair is growing back pretty fast Maybe it's the sweet stuff I've been eating-lol.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
hutchibk

VL ~ Me Too!! I never had a sweet tooth before cancer and chemo, most of my life I basically had an aversion to most of anything that was too sweet (and most anything that was sweet was too sweet for me), and I didn't lean towards simple carbs at all. After chemo, I also started to crave sweets, treats, desserts, etc. Luckily, I am pretty good at talking myself out of it, but it was one of the first things I noticed.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
jml

Rapid weight gain, chronic fatigue & crazy cravings for any/all sweets, crazy blood sugar swings/crashes are among the reason I finally saw an endocrinologist - assuming I was hypothryoid after a year of Taxol/Herceptin.
Instead, they did a Glucose Challenge & I was diagnosed with INSULIN RESISTANCE - Not diabetic. Not pre-diabetic - Insulin resistance as a result of exposure to chronic doses of pre-med steroids. The doc said that now that we're seeing more long term survivors, having been exposed to larger, longer doses of therapies, this is one secondary issues that they're discovering.
The endocrinologist put me on Glucophage/metformin at that time, explaining that most rn's/docs, etc. won't understand that I'm not diabetic & I will likely have to go through an explanation each time I have a procedure or meet new docs.
He was right - this past week of Novalis and the Chemo embo I had to explain to everyone why I take the Glucophage, and no, you don't need to check my blood sugar.Actually, I ususally give them the explanation, but let them take my blood sugar anyway because they look so confused.
It's been an pretty interesting ride.
I've never been re-evaluated by an endocrinologist, instead I choose to stay on the glucophage because of the studies showing the benefits with MBC. My oncs don't argue with me about it. In fact, they support my continuing on it.
Ironically, it is because I have been on Glugophage that I was disqualified from screening for a TDM1 trial last April. Can't win for losing, it seems.
Just one thing to remember, whenever having CT's, I have to d/c using it for 36hrs before, then can't resume until 48hours after.
Anyone else out there already on Metoformin?

Last edited by jml; 06-13-2010 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: typos
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
AlaskaAngel

Hi jml

Earlier this year, with a referral from my PCP as well as documented visits with the Seattle cancer center registered dietitian, I approached various endocrinologists for an appointment about this problem. I was repeatedly told that they refused to see me unless I had been diagnosed with diabetes or a thyroid problem. All of these endocrinologists specifically listed that they specialized in metabolism issues. Finally I found one endocrinologist who was willing to actually see me, who did, and who then had labs drawn to be able to see what was going on. I suggested using a low dose of metformin, and the endocrinologist is evaluating my progress and considering my request. I am scheduled to see the endocrinologist again to discuss it.

Also, although admittedly the following study was funded through a grant provided by a manufacturer of metformin, the results are interesting to consider:

http://www.oncolink.org/news/index.c...detail&ID=1117
Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 AM   #15
Rich66

JML,
Why do you d/c metformin prior to CT? I thought it was only a potential confounder with respect to PET.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #16
AlaskaAngel

Question Re: now they are moving in on how/why of weight gain during chemotherapy 4 breast can

Jessica, I read your other thread and this one and from this one it sounds like you were having major weight gain, but from the other thread it sounds like that changed for you to major weight loss, with your mom there to help feed you. Did the weight loss happen just since you started the metformin, or do you think the weight loss is related to starting the other therapy as well? I am wondering too how your endocrinologist is managing these kinds of questions for you, or what he/she thinks about the weight gain/loss and the metformin?

Trying to sort out insulin resistance too,

AlaskaAngel
Old 06-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
jml

Rich-I've never asked for specific details, but I'm always reminded by the scan schedulers to d/c the metformin the day (~36hrs) before scans and then not re-start until 48hours after. Apparently the metformin is really hard on the liver and kidneys, as is the contrast, so in combo it's probably just a little too much.
AA-I was evaluated by an endocrinologist 7 years ago, after the 1st year of my treatment.it was after the 1st year that I was having the problems with fatigue, blood sugar swings and weight gain (18 pounds in 6 weeks). A glucose challenge confirmed I was insulin resistant, I started the metformin and all the symptoms resolved. since then, my weight normalized, my blood sugar levels stabilized and everything has been fine. I have not been re-evaluated by an endocrinologist since, but as I mentioned my onc knows I'm on metformin and has approved my continued use.
In the past 4 months, since starting Ixempra, my weight has dropped significantly because my appetite & energy are so compromised. Ixempra's really tough stuff - I'm on my 5th cycle, and thank God it's working because my quality of life on this drug is really limited. I'm not able to work anymore and am so thankful my Mom's here to help me.
Ask your endo to do a glucose challenge test- it's pretty simple - you have to fast, then at different time points over a few hours you drink a high glucose drink and they take blood samples to see how long it takes your body to absorb it.
Wishing you best of luck sorting all this out.
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
DiDi70

I have just finished chemotherapy and have now developed an outrageous sweet tooth. It's a problem that I have never had prior to chemo. I found that I gained water weight after each chemo treatment; on average 7 lbs, which came off each time within 2 weeks. I was put into premature menopause at the age of 39 due to chemo and I definitely feel that my body is sluggish since that occurred. I am going to try a detox and then a vegetarian diet for a while to see how things go and I will eliminate all white food such as pasta and sugar.

Regarding Metformin: My Cancer Clinic at the London Regional Cancer Centre is now embarking on a study of Metformin use in people undergoing chemotherapy and also looking at the sugar "feeding" cancer theory. I will post when I know more after my visit in two weeks.

Have a good day,

DiDi
DiDi70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:22 AM   #19
SuePen

I had TCH and have lost 22lbs. I'm now 18 weeks post chemo. I thought maybe it was because I stopped taking HRT when diagnosed.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #20
Chelee

Like "SuePen"...I actually lost weight when I started TCH. I lost 35 lbs...I couldn't eat. Food was horrible...I thought I'd gain it all back when I finished the Taxotere & Carb but I didn't? (One of those things that make you go hummmm?)

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote