HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 01-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
jml

Tykerb SE's -OUCH!!

Hi Friends~

Just looking for some suggestions on how to manage some of these Tykerb SE's that are painful nuisances, but not reason enough to dc/or decrease the meds.

Rash - across the bridge of my nose is a little unattractive, but no big deal...it's the INSIDE of my nose that making me miserable. it's like there are crusty, bloody, shingles in there (sorry if TMI). I use a nettie pot every morning, but then the rest of the day, if I blow too hard, I sprout a bloody nose. Anything I can put INSIDE my nose to help the rash?

Fingertips - splits in the skin on my fingertips, kind of like papercuts. i usually just put bandaids on each finger, but it seems as soon as one heals, another one pops up. I just bought a 3lb bag of oranges, but when tried to peel one the other day, it was impossible/annoying/painful! So I've settled mandarin oranges in the can.

Toes - in-grown toenails, on big toes. but both sides of each toe. again, as soon as one/one-side heals, another one sprouts up on the other side or other toe. It seems like these heal a little faster if I don't cover them with a bandaid & let them dry out, but since it's not barefoot/flipflop weather-even in Atlanta - it's a little tough. i even got my toe stuck in my new Xmas Uggs when the toe oozed and got stuck to the sheerling inside the boot (again, sorry if TMI!)

Any wisdom you can offer is greatly appreciated!
I really don't want to decrease or dc the med - especially since I progressed on the Tykerb/Xeloda combo I was on for 5mos last summer.
I switched off Herceptin based tx bc these sternal nodes weren't resolving, but turns out that was a bad idea.
My disease progressed to 2 new lesions in the L lobe of my liver (liver's been NED since resection in 05!), new nodes in my belly that are compressing my colon & ureters, and a soft tissue met just above my belly button.
I switched back to Herceptin and added Tykerb, and it seems like that's had some effect - bowels/belly not so stuck & congested & the soft tissue met feels smaller.
So, as you can understand, I don't want to risk being off treatment.

Thanks for your help in advance~

Jml
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Gerri

Re: Tykerb SE's -OUCH!!

jml,

I have no experience with Tykerb, but have had a few of the SEs you are experiencing when I was on chemo and Herceptin.

I had extremely painful ingrown toenails on both big toes. It got so bad I could only wear open toe shoes and couldn't even tolerate having a sheet across my feet. I finally made an appointment with a podiatrist. I had "surgery" on both toes and have been fine ever since. My nails were growing into the sides (curved on both sides of the entire nail) as well as up at the corners. The surgery consisted of cutting out both sides of the nails all the way down, he then put something where the nail was cut out that will prevent the nail from ever growing back on the sides - my nails grow and look normal. He only did one toe at a time so I could heal and still be able to walk. The most painful part - and it was quite painful - was the shot to numb the toe. I have a high tolerance to pain and that one brought tears to my eyes. It was definitely worth it though because I haven't had any problems since. Not sure if this is an option for you since you are in active treatment, but it seems that having an infection is not a good thing either.

I still get spilt fingers and have tried many things so I am looking forward to any suggestions you may get from others.

Best of luck resolving these issues. You are such a brave warrior and I truly admire your fighting spirit.

With best wishes,
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
BarbM

JML,
You sound like you had the same situation as I....I was on Tykerb/Xeloda for 6 mos and progressed. Went off Herceptin, too. I am adding back the Herceptin tomorrow and continuing the Tykerb. I am encouraged that it's doing some good for you!!!
~Barb
AC 7/07 -10/07, Liver mets dx 9/07 (liver bx)
Taxotere/Herceptin 10/07 -12/07
Herceptin only 1/08 - 7/08
Mastectomy 3/08, RADS 4/08 - 5/08
Brain MRI 5/08 clear
Gemzar/Herceptin 7/08-9/08
Lymphedema 8/08
RADS/Hyperthermia 10/08-11/08
Abraxane/Herceptin 12/08-3/09
Doxil/Herceptin 3/09 to 5/09
Xeloda/Tykerb 6/09-10/09
Navelbine/Xeloda/Tykerb 10/09-12/09
Tykerb/Herceptin 1/11/10
Tykerb/Herceptin/Ixempra 2/1/10
BarbM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
vlcarr

I did Tykerb/Herceptin as part of a clinical trial. The only SE you mentioned that I had was the nose bleeds. My onc said to put A&D ointment inside my nose. It really does work--not that pleasant but well worth it.

Hope you have great success!
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
yankeebikachic

Jml,
See a podiatrist for the ingrown nails, not fun, but the end result will be worth it. Your nails are prob. hard and your skin soft from the meds so they are piercing your skin. Also, do not cut your nails too short, and always cut straight across. And ALWAYS keep your skin covered or at the very least, use lots of lotion on your skin.
You'll have to deal with the rash on the face although I'm sure if it gets bad enough, you may want to ask for a script for that. I dealt with mine by using sunscreen during the day and used an acne medication/wipe at night. But everyone is different. And use a saline nasal spray and humidifier for the nosebleeds. Partly chemo, party winter air messing with your nose.
Hope this helps.
Beth
11/06 bilateral mastectomy
12/06 begin Rads
1/07 Finished Rad-started H, weekly for one year.
1/08. Finished H, scan showed activity in nodes, Doc says 'not to worry about it' and sends me on my way.
7/08 Scan shows numerous involvement in armpit, also large active nodes in supr. clav.
Doctor refused to give me HER2 meds.
8/08 fired doctor, found another. Started Tykerb/Xeloda. After one round, nodes are shrunk and normal sized!
12/08 NED continue Ty/X
3/09, 6/09, 9/09, 11/09, all scans show NED
Dropping X, continue Tykerb
As of 6/10, 3/11 still negative, continuing Tykerb...
yankeebikachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
yankeebikachic

forgot about the fingers. Not much you can do there, some folks have used a henna mix ( I think) with luck...nothing worked for me except to take a few days break from the xeloda, I just had to ask for help from time to time and I also used neosporin with pain relief in it, every day...it at least numbed the pain a little.
11/06 bilateral mastectomy
12/06 begin Rads
1/07 Finished Rad-started H, weekly for one year.
1/08. Finished H, scan showed activity in nodes, Doc says 'not to worry about it' and sends me on my way.
7/08 Scan shows numerous involvement in armpit, also large active nodes in supr. clav.
Doctor refused to give me HER2 meds.
8/08 fired doctor, found another. Started Tykerb/Xeloda. After one round, nodes are shrunk and normal sized!
12/08 NED continue Ty/X
3/09, 6/09, 9/09, 11/09, all scans show NED
Dropping X, continue Tykerb
As of 6/10, 3/11 still negative, continuing Tykerb...
yankeebikachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Georgia girl

I have been on Tykerb only since May, 08. I am also having the very painful fingers and toes. I took a week long break at Christmas to let everything heal, which it did. Now that I'm back on the Tykerb, the sores are coming back. The nose problems are also a pain - I'm using Better Nose (a gel) that seems to help temporarily. The only thing I've found that really helps is a break from the meds - scary.
Georgia girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
SoCalGal

Nose - yikes - yes, I have a few GREAT solutions. For actual cuts and sores, I use a tiny bit of polysporin ointment, sniffed in or use a q-tip. For general dryness maintenance, I use AYR gel, again on a q-tip. I also use AYR spray, as needed, to sooth. Maybe the netty pot is irritating? I am unfamiliar with the side effects of daily use. I know what it is, and that many use one, I just don't have personal experience with it.

Fingers - buy a GIANT box of disposable gloves, and wear them as much as possible. This prevents the frequent hand-washing and just protects the skin. I also have dry and painful cracks in my thumbs quite often. Keep tons of moisturizer on helps, but wearing gloves for just about everything makes a heck of an improvement.

Toes - hahaha. I've had probs with ingrowns on both - gotta be treatment related since I've gone my whole life without issue. After you see a podiatrist and are treated for any infections or nails that are ingrown, I use epsom salt soaks if the toe is sore and cranky. Tea tree oil (from trader joe's) has also helped quite a bit. As we speak my left big toe is bothering me. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Sometimes the woman who does my pedicures can fix things. Again - I am not talking about infections with ooozing - just red and the beginning of an ingrown situation.

I've been on Tykerb for almost 3 years straight. It's a delicate yet daily struggle! Right now, I'm on a break, still trying to recover from a tummy virus.

Hope these tips help!
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Unregistered

There is no solution overall, but here is what I have done:

I play tennis so if I use band-aids before i put a lot of pressure on my fingers, it seems to keep the skin intact. I need to use the band-aids every time because I will surely get a split if I skip using them. Use a lot of hand cream multiple times per day. It helps. Sleep with cotton gloves on. My oncologist says to use Vick's VapoRub on my hands and then cover with cotton gloves. I have found that Bag Balm is just as helpful and does not have that really strong smell.

Re: toes. I don't know how to prevent the damage to the toenails, but I got a MRSA infection after I had my toenail dig into the side of my toe. So my advice is to keep your toes really sterile, particularly if you get changed inside a gym locker room.

Rash: I never have gotten the rash you are talking about, but I got yucky acne. Retin-A works wonderfully. The acne goes away in just days. Is the rash acne?

Joanna
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
jml

Thanks everyone for your feedback & great advice.
I'll be using any/all/combos of the above to manage all these
little nuisances.
But I know we all agree, it's all worth it, as long as it's working.

I'm hoping this combo will knock things back, or atleast hold things steady & stable until the new TDM1 trials open up.

Keep the Faith everyone!

Jml

ps-Joanna - the tykerb "rash" actually looks like acne - bumps, white heads, etc - but it's actually a rash. incidentally, there's a positive correlation between having the rash & drug efficacy, so there's the silver lining to celebrate this unattractive SE!

Last edited by jml; 01-15-2010 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: typos
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
Nancy L

Rash - The rash on my face comes and goes and I have just lived with it. I live in the desert so I use 70 SPF sunscreen everyday and I think it helps. I did have a very serious problem with sores in my nose along with nose bleeds everyday. It went on for several months. I tried steaming but it didn't promote healing. I asked my vocal cord doctor at UCLA and he said to apply neosporin on a Q-tip and apply it inside my nose. I did it for several weeks and everything is healed--no more nosebleeds and actually my nose has stopped running--it is wonderful. After I had my problem solved, I read the instructions for using neosporin and it said NOT to use it inside your nose. But it worked for me.

Fingertips - splits in the skin on my fingertips. This is a big problem for me and also my nails are peeling. I haven't found any real solution for this problem.

Toes - in-grown toenails. I went to a podiatrist and he solved my problem.

I have been on Tykerb/Herceptin for almost one year. I take 750mg of Tykerb at bedtime.

FYI--A major Tykerb side effect for me has been diarrhea. I had it undercontrol with diet. I was recently prescribed a high dosage of Prevacid and the combo of Tykerb and Prevacid made me very ill and created uncontrollable diarrhea. Same thing with Nexium. When I stopped the Prevacid, I felt decent again. Because it is so new, they do no have a lot of data about drug interactions with Tykerb.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Nancy L

Forgot to mention that to prevent nose sores and dripping, I now spray twice a day with Ocean complete sinus (available on Costco--use the white tip). I then spray Fluticasone Pro 50 (this is a prescription drug) in each nostril.

I have developed allergies I never had before going through treatment for BC. The above process has really helped.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
shirleybowen@live.com

Angry Re: Tykerb SE's -OUCH!!

What is the general co-pay for this drug?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
Julie2

For finger cuts I use liquid bandage. It helps.

Julie