HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
eric

“Cure” in Mice to be Tested in Humans

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/542007/?sc=rsmn
Scientists at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center are about to embark on a human trial to test whether a new cancer treatment will be as effective at eradicating cancer in humans as it has proven to be in mice.
The treatment will involve transfusing specific white blood cells, called granulocytes, from select donors, into patients with advanced forms of cancer. A similar treatment using white blood cells from cancer-resistant mice has previously been highly successful, curing 100 percent of lab mice afflicted with advanced malignancies.
Zheng Cui (Tswee), Ph.D., lead researcher and associate professor of pathology, will be announcing the study June 28 at the Understanding Aging conference in Los Angeles.
The study, given the go-ahead by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, will involve treating human cancer patients with white blood cells from healthy young people whose immune systems produce cells with high levels of cancer-fighting activity.
The basis of the study is the scientists’ discovery, published five years ago, of a cancer-resistant mouse and their subsequent finding that white blood cells from that mouse and its offspring cured advanced cancers in ordinary laboratory mice. They have since identified similar cancer-killing activity in the white blood cells of some healthy humans.
“In mice, we’ve been able to eradicate even highly aggressive forms of malignancy with extremely large tumors,” Cui said. “Hopefully, we will see the same results in humans. Our laboratory studies indicate that this cancer-fighting ability is even stronger in healthy humans.”
The team has tested human cancer-fighting cells from healthy donors against human cervical, prostate and breast cancer cells in the laboratory – with surprisingly good results. The scientists say the anti-tumor response primarily involves granulocytes of the innate immune system, a system known for fighting off infections.
Granulocytes are the most abundant type of white blood cells and can account for as much as 60 percent of total circulating white blood cells in healthy humans. Donors can give granulocytes specifically without losing other components of blood through a process called apheresis that separates granulocytes and returns other blood components back to donors.
In a small study of human volunteers, the scientists found that cancer-killing activity in the granulocytes was highest in people under age 50. They also found that this activity can be lowered by factors such as winter or emotional stress. They said the key to the success for the new therapy is to transfuse sufficient granulocytes from healthy donors while their cancer-killing activities are at their peak level.
For the upcoming study, the researchers are currently recruiting 500 local potential donors who are 50 years old or younger and in good health to have their blood tested. Of those, 100 volunteers with high cancer-killing activity will be asked to donate white blood cells for the study. Cell recipients will include 22 cancer patients who have solid tumors that either didn’t respond originally, or no longer respond, to conventional therapies. The study will cost $100,000 per patient receiving therapy, and for many patients (those living in 22 states, including North Carolina) the costs may be covered by their insurance company. There is no cost to donate blood. For general information about insurance coverage of clinical trials, go to the American Cancer Society’s web site at http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/co...cal_Trials.asp.)
For more information about qualifications for donors and participants, go to http://www.wfubmc.edu/LIFT (Web site will be available the evening of 6/27.) Cancer-killing ability in these cells is highest during the summer, so researchers are hoping to find volunteers who can afford the therapy quickly.
“If the study is effective, it would be another arrow in the quiver of treatments aimed at cancer,” said Mark Willingham, M.D., a co-researcher and professor of pathology. “It is based on 10 years of work since the cancer-resistant mouse was first discovered.”
Volunteers who are selected as donors – based on the observed potential cancer-fighting activity of their white cells – will complete the apheresis, a two- to three-hour process similar to platelet donation, to collect their granulocytes. The cancer patients will then receive the granulocytes through a transfusion – a safe process that has been used for more than 30 years. Normally, the treatment is used for patients who have antibiotic-resistant infectious diseases. The treatment will be given for three to four consecutive days on an outpatient basis. Up to three donors may be necessary to collect enough blood product for one study participant.
“The difference between our study and the traditional white cell therapy is that we’re selecting the healthy donors based on the cancer-killing ability of their white blood cells,” said Cui. The scientists are calling the therapy Leukocyte InFusion Therapy (LIFT).
The goal of the phase II study is to determine whether patients can tolerate a sufficient amount of transfused granulocytes for the treatment. Participants will be monitored on a regular basis, and after three months scientists will evaluate whether the treatment results in clear clinical benefits for the patients. If this phase of the study is successful, scientists will expand the study to determine if the treatment is best suited to certain types of cancer.
Yikong Keung, M.D., a medical oncologist, is the chief clinical investigator of the study. Gregory Pomper, M.D., assistant professor of pathology and the director of the Wake Forest Baptist blood bank, will oversee the blood banking portion of the study.

EDITORS: Additional resources – including still photos, SOT, B-roll, audio, Dr. Cui’s presentation abstract, and links to earlier news releases – are available at http://www.wfubmc.edu/news/CancerTrial.
Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center (http://www.wfubmc.edu) is an academic health system comprised of North Carolina Baptist Hospital, Brenner Children’s Hospital, Wake Forest University Physicians, and Wake Forest University Health Sciences, which operates the university’s School of Medicine and Piedmont Triad Research Park. The system comprises 1,154 acute care, rehabilitation and long-term care beds and has been ranked as one of “America’s Best Hospitals” by U.S. News & World Report since 1993. Wake Forest Baptist is ranked 32nd in the nation by America’s Top Doctors for the number of its doctors considered best by their peers. The institution ranks in the top third in funding by the National Institutes of Health and fourth in the Southeast in revenues from its licensed intellectual property.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
loveher

exciting news, hopefully it will be a success on human bodies, sometimes i look at those annoying little mice in the pet stores and feel really gratuitious that they exist. lol thanks for sharing eric
loveher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
dhealey

This is awesome! I believe this is the first trial where they had a l00% success rate with the mice. The trial is taking place where I live and I am so excited. Yes! Those pesky little mice are good for something!
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
goops

This is exciting - I hope they have equal success in people.

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
lilyecuadorian

this is the trial called " LIFT " the one that I did apply for ..but so far no response yet !! last time I call them they told me that they finally got somebody interesting on the trial $$$ ...so maybe that is the reason for the delay ...I'm not sure about if insurance can or will not cover ...because is not drug involvement only blood and no even the whole blood only the leukocytes ...!!!!
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
eric

Lily - my prayers are with you to get into this trial if that's what you want. Eric
Old 07-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
goops

I hope you get in Lilly and it works as good for you (and everyone else) as it did for the mice! Good Luck, if I qualified I would try to get into this study myself.

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
schoolteacher

Lily,

I hope you receive good news about being accepted into this trial. The trial sounds very encouraging.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
lilyecuadorian

Dear freinds, they (Lift Trial researchers) said that we have to wait couples months before they can put all the things (burocratic papers etc) in orden to start this ..but they still recurring blood donor and potent patients ...so wait , they did send me a email saying all this ...I have faith on this trial ..I do .
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
Rich66

Yes..this is very cool. I wish I could donate...if my cells are worthy.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Rich66

Apparently recruiting donors:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/11/pri...leukocyte.html

Mom's treatment history (link)
Old 12-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
fullofbeans

On insurance coverage : I thought that clinical trials were free for the patients..is this one not?

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 12-11-2008 at 06:52 PM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Rich66

Hmmm...LIFT website is down and the main doctor hasn't returned my e-mail...Aww..c'mon...thought they were recruiting donors.
????

Old 12-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Rich66

There is a good link that explains the ideas and ramifications:
http://www1.wfubmc.edu/tumorbio/srmouse/part1.htm

Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
Rich66

Finally a response:

"currently on hold for institutional planning on how to move forward; recruitment temporarily suspended

hope to be ready to go in the spring if all goes well"

Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
eric

Thanks for the update Rich.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
Rich66

Aaarrrg!
Since spring has sprung, I asked for an update....

"on hold indefinitely; challenges deciding how to fund clinical trial"

With all the money flying around in bailouts and research of far less potential benefit....
Old 04-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #18
eric

Incredibly frustrating! Anyone know what % of lab tests show this kind of success that would explain the funding problem?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #19
trasia

Re: “Cure” in Mice to be Tested in Humans

bump. anyone who received an update? is there a way for us to unite and help to find (financial) donors for these types of trials?
I learned to hold myself with dignity, respect and humility. My mother taught me to love and care for humanity, and a compassion that I have never seen matched. She is brilliant, and more generous than any person I have ever met. I know my mother loves me more than life itself. Her latest lesson is Courage as WE seek treatment for her condition and she enter the great unknown, and faces her inner demons…And I promised her that I will be her strength when she needs it, and her patience when she cannot bear it anymore..

~trasia (primary caregiver of her 60 year old mother- IDC Stage 2B ER+ 90% PR- Her2+++ 3/25 lymph node involvement (Diagnosed Jan 2010- BMX- Feb 2010)
trasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
Rich66

Re: “Cure” in Mice to be Tested in Humans

A more updated thread here:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ocyte+infusion

Last time I communicated with them, they were in a catch 22 of needing more funding to treat patients ($100k/each) and needing more patients to get funding. I'll check in to see what's up.