HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
sassy

Have finished my 12 weekly taxol and herceptin, now starting herceptin only with rads next month. How long and what kind of lingering side effects can I expect from taxol, and what side effects may I expect from herceptin? Know they should be few, but joint and muscle pain/discomfort seems to have followed me thru all of my treatments. Some may be attributed to stress. Just interested in those who have gone before me and their experiences.

Thanks for any info you would share.

Sassy
Old 09-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Becky

I did the taxol separately from Herceptin (and I am still on Herceptin) so I am taking it like in the HERA trial.

I had a bad time with taxol. I had terrible leg pain (and sometimes when I am sitting in a chair too long (at work) I have to think hard about balance upon standing. My thumbs are still a little numb but improving. I am more allergic to things because I was very allergic to the emulsifier in taxol (hives, swollen lips - my onc even gave me an epi-pen). I got 2X the amt of benadryl as a premed and had to take 2 benadryl tablets as soon as I got home and every 4 hrs for the first 24 hours. I have no pain left and the neuropathy is improving.

Herceptin is the easiest drug ever except I am very tired the next day. I only took premeds the first time. I get a runny nose from it for a day or two but nothing else. Your aches and pains are most likely from the taxol and that improves rapidly (although you might have some lingering effects that will take awhile to completely go away - fyi - I finished taxol in Feb 2005).

Hope this helps

Best regards

Becky
Old 09-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
carlotta

Sassy,

Taxol was not fun in regards to bone pain. Couple that with the neulasta and bone pain is a problem . I am nine months post Taxol, but still get shin splintz if I go over 3.8mph on the treadmill. I am presently on herceptin only and have just completed my 6th treatment.

The bone pain I have been left with is my hip and lower back which have been a problem for many years pre BC diagnosis. Now I am always worrying about bone mets.

I do have some weird herceptin thing happening like a sensitive mouth and a cracked corner of my lips, hand and feet spasms. No one can confirm herceptin being the cause.
There is now way I will give up on herceptin, no matter what the reactions!
carlotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:54 AM   #4
Wendywins

Exclamation Taxol after effects

Apparently, it is the emulsifier that has adversely affected people so now there is a newer emulsifier to "carry" the taxol for infusions. Hopefully, that will soon spare women these problems.
However, when I had taxol infusions in 2002, I had severe pains in my joints which lasted throughout the first period after the first injection beginning within the first five days after injection. It was like having severe arthritis and broken feet etc. This was a real shock since I had expected taxol to be a piece of cake.
This was much worse than the burning/pins and needles in my feet and hands which also came. My oncologist was alarmed and reduced my dosage by 1/3 for the next three injections and it was better. He said that most people do not have that kind of reaction though may have five days or so of joint pain and will have the burning extremeties)which goes away quickly. Since that time, I have found that quite a few people had some pain with taxol but the effects varied in intensity from nearly nothing to intense and longlasting.

In my case, the crippling affects...the joint pain, and being unable to walk much lasted for a very long time ....mainly the lower body: hips, legs, knees, ankles and feet.However, I am happy to say that at LAST, these symptoms receded and now (2005), I can only identify them in my feet and contributing to discomfort occasionally in one ankle.
I still do not wear "regular shoes" but perhaps eventually will. I wear "wide" shoes, primarily sandals and earthshoes so as to reduce pressure on the sides of my feet and toes (which exacerbates nerve problems and swelling of the feet). Now I can walk for hours at a time whereas in the first months, I could hardly walk at all.

I think it important to monitor its affects on yourself and report them to your oncologist. Mine was wise enough to reduce my dosage when my reactions were severe. The effects are cumulative but in terms of the pain, can be lessened with smaller doses.
I learned a lot of things that helped with the taxol effects both shortterm and longterm and would be glad to share them. I used Nikken magnets..including wraps and the mattresspad and other items. I used a linament rubbed into feet and joints. I went to the wide shoes ..flat or birkenstock/earth shoes..bought from Wide shoe stores. Warm dry climates help (I went to Baja California. Hawaii in winter is great if you can go..or desert climates). Swimming/soaking in warm water or warm sea water daily if you can! Glucosamin or other joint supplements...etc.

UPDATE: Dec. 2006 Well, I am still around! My feet this year are better. I still wear wide shoes but I can be on my feet longer and they do not turn red and puffy on the sides after I have been on my feet for a while. I can walk around for 3 hours shopping in the mall, for example and am not crippled up. Warm weather is still better for me as is swimming in warmer water...as in Mexico in the ocean or in heated pools.
UPDATE: Aug. 2007: I am still around. Basically, I still have residual nerve damage from the taxol though it is only in my feet. However, I have learned how to "work around" any discomfort from being on my feet too long and still can maintain an exercise schedule and normal activities so I have lost 24 lbs. (yay!) . Life is good.

Last edited by Wendywins; 12-30-2006 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: need to add update
Wendywins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Wendywins

Jan.2008. Wow. Still around and NED. Progress..though my taxol aftereffects on my feet are still there, I actually bought my first tennis shoes (wide of course so as to minimize pressure) and can use them to exercise on a recumbent bike or treadmill and walk around in them , "looking normal". Big thrill. Have also found that the use of foot lotion (heavy moisturizing)at nite, and wearing spa sockbooties means foot comfort at night and better feet the next day...less pain/tingling.

Last edited by Wendywins; 12-18-2011 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Update. December 2011> Still around and NED. Still have taxol damaged feet but...am alive.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Mary Jo

I've had no lingering effects of either taxol or herceptin. I had lots of leg pain during taxol and joint pain while on herceptin. But, all fine now.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
chrisy

I had mild neuropathy - basically some tingling in my fingers and toes - while on Taxol. It took quite a while (I'd say a year or so) before it went away.

You should feel pretty darn good on Herceptin alone. I remember thinking I felt pretty good while on T/C/H and then when I stopped the T/C..."oh, NOW I feel good!".

Your doctor will continue to monitor your heart function but most people do not have problems.

Congratulations on putting another milestone behind you!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
DonnaD

I finished Taxol in March and it was very hard for me. But I have no lingering side effects. I did have neuropathy in my fingers and toes. It disappeared right after I was finished with Taxol.

Herceptin was a breeze compared to chemo. I did experience pain in my hips and upper thighs near the end of Herceptin, a very drippy nose the entire year and very thin nails. My hair, eyebrows and eyelashes are still slow to grow. I finished Herceptin in Dec.

Good luck. Congrats on being finished with Taxol. Go girl!
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!

Last edited by DonnaD; 01-14-2008 at 04:15 PM..
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
sassy

WOW is right Wendy. I started this thread 2 1/2 years ago, and I'm still around and NED!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
Wendywins

Re: After taxol

HI y'all . Its Wendy and its now been 9 1/2 years since diagnosis,and 8 yrs,9 months since all treatment finished(radiation ..after taxol infusions, mastectomy, Adriamycin-Cytoxin,.following the first two operations((lumpectomies)). NED since!! Its Oct. 2011.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
Pray

Wendy,

I couldn't be happier for you! I want to be just like you! God is good all of the time!

Gods blessings to you and your family!

Peace,

Your Friend,

Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
Lisa1967

CONGRATULATIONS WENDY!!!! I am soo Happy for you. May you continue to live a long, healthy and happy life. Bless You and all our HER2 Sisters!!!

Hugs to All...Lisa
Lisa1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
ElaineM

Wink Re: After taxol

Good for Sassy and Wendy. I am happy for you both.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
StephN

Wendy -
Thanks for looking in and letting us know that you are just about to join the TEN YEAR CLUB.

That will be a major milestone and increases the odds that you will stay NED forever.

Take care and be happy.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
schoolteacher

Glad to hear from you, Wendy.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
Unregistered

Smile Re: After taxol

Thanks all! On Oct 15, I gave the keynote speech for a special luncheon event on the Oregon Coast as part of the "Yes, Ma'ams!" campaign which was to raise the approx. $90,000 to buy a digital mammography for the local south coast hospital (they only had one aging film mammography machine for which there are no more parts made to repair and it was breaking down). We are now less than $3500 from complete financing. The money will do more that purchase the machine but will also mean coupons to be handed out for free mammograms for those unable to pay for the test.

I am very happy to be alive and able to see my only daughter finish college, and get married and get a job and a home. I am happy to have been able to be the catalyst for a new charity ..and served as a founding member of the board of directors, Green Village schools (www.greenvillageschools.org) which founded and maintained a school in Helmand province , Afghanistan. A movie was made about this. I was interviewed for it and so appear in it, and my interview in my voice was used for part of the narration.... The film, Stealing the Light, is part of the Peace thru Education series and is being shown nationally....

I am happy for the additional years of usefulness to others.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
Wendywins

Oops. That last post was from me, Wendywins..not the mysterious unregistered guest!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
tricia keegan

Congratulations Wendy and you're an inspiration!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #19
chemteach

Wendy....that is so wonderful! I'd love to do something like that when this is behind me in a year or two or more. Maybe I'll take my high school students somewhere and inspire them as you have inspired others. What a great story!
9/19/2011 Started TCH every 3 weeks, TC for six cycles, Herceptin for 1 year

May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun....
chemteach is offline   Reply With Quote