HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Kaye

I know my other post was quite long and that was just a sample of what I have been subjected to. Welcome to managed care. I have heard similar stories from a few others--one of them didn't have insurance.
Another gal who was Her2+ posted on a different group. She got a year of Herceptin but was told tha if she got a recurrence she would not be allowed to have it again--this was from a major research treatment center.
My 2nd opinion onc muttered at an appt. about 4 mos. ago re. my concerns about a possible local recurrence--that 'it' was too expensive to treat. All that is required re. treatment is palliative care once a recurrence is found. They no longer have to treat to control or attempt cure.
I don't know what MD Anderson's philosophy is but am guessing they would recommend control. I just don't think that all states or medical treatment programs can afford that expense. There are too many women with breast cancer. There are not enough treatment facilities, and the expense is astronomical.
Medical treatment changed for some--particularly with aids--after activists became involved and demanded better treatments. Fast track approval was done for several drugs which they were allowed to get at nominal cost. That is not happening with breast cancer treatments.
Medical facilities were unprepared to deal with activists at that level and have since instigated alot of protective policies to prevent that from happening again. Thus, MD Anderson can't give 2nd opinions that can't be followed out, and the system is set up so that no longer has to be done. Getting the best treatment these days depends on what the health care facility has to offer and ones' insurance.
I wouldn't be surprised if MD Anderson also couldn't offer all of the new treatment that are now being used as well--possibly cyberknife, hyperthermia, and well who knows what else...