HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #21
AlaskaAngel

timing of use of anti-inflammatories

I found an article discussing a different vaccine, but talking in general about the general same ideas. It doesn't answer the question I have about inflammation from vaccination possibly might not be such a good idea for those who have had bc, but it does address the question about whether being immunized could be a wasted effort if you take anti-inflammatories at the wrong time to discourage the resulting inflammation. I thought the comment attributed to Dr. Phipps was worth sharing. (You can also bring up the article by using "COX2" and "vaccination", if you don't want to sign into medscape, and then choosing COX2 Inhibition Reduces Immunogenicity of HPV Vaccine"):

http://canadiancpd.medscape.com/viewarticle/549869

According to Dr. Phipps, "further research is needed to determine how the timing and dosage of NSAIDs affects the antibody response to vaccination." Until then, he believes it is probably prudent to refrain from NSAID use for at least a week or two before and after receiving a vaccine.

J Immunol 2006

<!-- </TD> </tr> </TABLE>--><!-- /Content --><!-- /reviewer line --><!-- /reviewer line --><!-- Related Links --><!-- Related Links -->
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #22
Lolly

Here's the article AA cites:

Painkillers May Threaten the Power of Vaccines
http://vaccines.wordpress.com/2006/1...r-of-vaccines/
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:32 AM   #23
michka

Sherry, thank you for your post. I did not know that my immune system would not recover well from chemo and radiation. I thought it would recover within a year. No doctor ever told me that although I asked and insisted to know about the secondary effects of the treatments. I will ask for the vaccinations. Thank you Lani for all your contributions. I learn every day.
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #24
karen raines hunt

compromised immune system

I finished the hard chemo (A/C and Taxol) in Oct 2005, finished radiation treatments in Jan 2006 and finished my year of Herceptin in July 2006. I had 1.5 yrs of Tamoxifen and now am on Aromasin. My recent blood tests showed my WBC below normal. Our blood cell producing tissues.........the bone marrow "take a hard blow" from the drugs and radiation. It is worrisome, but I think "par for the course."

Karen
2 positive axillary lymph nodes
ER+/PR+, Her 2 +++
Bilateral mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction, A/C, Taxol, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Aromasin
5 yrs since diagnosis and NED
karen raines hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 AM   #25
myraazzopardi

Immune System

Hello Sherry. Is it bad luck to say so far so good with my immune system.
I had my chemo up to October 2006 and RT. finished in December of 2006. I was as all of us as thin as a stick no hair but no colds no coughs up to now whilst during these last two winters family and friends around me have groaned and mouned at their afflications of flu etc. Can it be that I went on a special eating routine. All organic (broke the bank) Five fruit and veg a day raw or juiced. during the chemo miso soup lots of tahini pumkin seeds etc. No meat no dairy products whatsover. I am not on Herceptin and my onc tells me I have the heart of a bull and my blood seems to be perfect. My nails kept growing strongly. My hair has grown back (like a hamster though) Is there something in this diet thing. Health to all my strong and brave sisters. Now tears thinking of you all. Its emotions that I have suffered with. Still positive.
myraazzopardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:29 AM   #26
myraazzopardi

Made a mistake on my last post about immune system

I said not on herceptin. Mistake. I am on herceptin.
myraazzopardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #27
Lani

Barbara H

as I understand it , cyberknife type radiation is so concentrated, that scatter is much less to the thymus and bones with marrow with blood-forming potential

It is the external beam radiation given for breast cancer which was studied in the papers I quoted.

Noone has been studying this in breast cancer patients much of late.

I suggested to someone doing a trial of accelerated partial breast irradiation, that they study the immune system of those who do not get radiation therapy, those who get APBI and those who get conventional radiation therapy, but I think the problem is getting the funds.(no drug company support,)few studies look at whether less of a tretment is equivalent to more because of legal reasons and probably difficulty finding willing patients.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #28
CLTann

I have posted several times that for most people the flu shots are useless because only two or three strains of flu are in the shots. There are hundreds of different strains of flu that are not protected. It is a very remote chance that the popular flu for the year is indeed in the vaccine. The immediate reaction to the flu shot will immediately be felt by the patient. Doctors follow their guidelines and always advise patients to take the flu shots. Ask these doctors whether they themselves got flu shots and you will be surprised to learn that only a few actually took the flu shots.

Again, the immediate side effects of chemo and radiation are definite problems for the patients. These treatments, though warranted in many cases, are to be seriously weighed against the negative aspects. Many times, the strongest treatments do not mean the best treatments.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #29
Joanne S

Thanks Lani
I understand and greatly appreciate posts in your own words!
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote