HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Question ~MY Eye Issues~not cancer-related

I thought I would post here to get the most responses from you all. I have been trying to keep up with you and your journies, but my responses have been limited. Here goes:

I just found out that I was born with cataracts no one ever found...Uggh. Living with them since birth, how do you know what good vision is?? I have always loved my eyes, they are my favorite trait besides my smile. Does not end here, I have glaucoma also. The new doctor said that if it was not for my excellant optic nerves I would have probally lost sight by now; mentioned that they were the best he ever seen. As for the cataracts, most generic cataracts are corrected with surgery by 25-30 years old, I am 42, 43 in June....okay, now you know ALL my secrets...haha! Luckily these nerves have helped me to survive, I have adapted.

You know I try to push negative thoughts away and succeed in pushing away the what-if's. This is hard for me to do right now with this new twist to the story I call my life. All I can think of is how am I going to take care of my sick husband and Mother? My disabled father, watching my granddaughter grow....But the worst thing is: How would I be able to go on without the support from my family here. Thoughts are racing and I know some of my dear friends are rather ill, I do not mean to sound selfish. I am such a sensory person and just the thought of losing my sight makes me feel like I will really lose it on this journey.

I am sorry for ranting but it is the first time in ions that I cannot turn off the brain. I started with getting glasses for reading and will transition to full time glasses, then surgery. Thanks, I have tried to help myself without bothering you all but thoughts of losing you due to going blind is weighing heavy on my mind. Now I have to go, can't see through all of these tears and did not want this post to be too long (too late blabber-mouth). Lots of Love>>Believe51

PS: It is however, different to be worrying about me for a change. And NO, my migraines are not from the eyes, not the same headache (had migraines since age 8).
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
nitewind

Oh Sweetie, don't you ever apologize for ranting or think that you are bothering any of us. You always have such kind words and we all rely on your wonderful posts. That is such a shock that you've had the cataracs since birth. I know that catarac surgery goes well, my sister had it done, just what a shock for you. We will be anxiously waiting to hear what your next step is. And don't forget....you come here as much as you want to, you know we all love you!!
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Mary Jo

Dear Marie,

I'm so happy you finally chose to share your own struggle with your own health with us. It sounds as if you've kept this "struggle" to yourself so as "not to bother us." Oh Marie...................you would NEVER be a bother. We care about you and love you. Now we can reach out and give you the support and encouragement you need.

Please continue to share your feelings and struggle with us so we can reach out to you and love you through it. I will pray that all will turn out well for you.

Sending my love and a BIG hug to you,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
tricia keegan

Marie your posts and replies here and elsewhere are so inspiring to so many, don't ever hesitate to keep a worry to yourself as I know we all would want to offer what love,advice or support we can to you.
I really don't know a lot about this condition except my aunt did have surgery for it at a late age and was fine...she still see's better than I do at eighty three!!
We're all sending huge hugs and positive vibes right to you and will be praying for a good outcome for you sister
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
R.B.

Gosh Ibeleive I do not know how you cope. Rant away.

I was talking to an 80 year old today who recently had a very successful treatment for cataracts.

The eyes are very dependent on the long chain Omega three DHA for adequate function, circulation etc. There is an Omega three book by an optic surgeon. I lent it to some one hand will give you the title when I get it back.

Here is a recent trial on Glaucoma and DHA.

Fish oil is a good source of DHA.

You might like to have a look at this thread too if you have not seen it.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=greek+diet

Please discuss dietary change with your doctor as fish oil can cause blood thinning etc.

RB

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

"Compared with their healthy siblings, the glaucoma patients had reduced eicosapentaenoic (EPA, P<0.01), and docosahexaenoic (DHA, P<0.05) fatty acids and total omega3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPUFA) (P<0.05) in red cell choline phosphoglycerides (CPG); decreased EPA (P<0.05) in ethanolamine phosphoglycerides (EPG); lower EPA (P<0.05) and total omega3 LCPUFA (P<0.05) in serine phosphoglycerides (SPG). Similarly, they had reduced EPA, DHA and total omega3 LCPUFA in plasma CPG (P<0.005) and triglycerides (P<0.05). These findings may be significant, since EPA and DHA could modulate impaired systemic microcirculation and ocular blood flow and optic neuropathy, which are the main physiological changes associated with glaucoma."

Primary open-angle glaucoma patients have reduced levels of blood docosahexaenoic and eicosapentaenoic acids.
Ren H, Magulike N, Ghebremeskel K, Crawford M.

Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition, London Metropolitan University, North Campus, 166-220 Holloway Road, London N7 8DB, UK, and Department of Ophthalmology, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria. Hor016@londonmet.ac.uk
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink

Hi Marie,

This is scary business I know. Beyond the cataracts, which are manageable, the secondary glaucoma is serious. But from googling I have found that there are a slew of medications (including neurological, beta blockers, etc.) plus special drops and aside from standard surgery, laser procedures. (Mayo Clinic website.) Please do not despair.

BTW, I have had the implants for drainage (when my incessant tearing from Taxotere was unbearable) and I do NOT recommend them. They fall out too easily. I had them inserted twice.

It is natural for us to go to the worst case scenarios and further terrify ourselves. And surely our eyesight is most precious. The mere glancing thought of losing this sense is full of nightmarish visions! However, please try, Marie, to continue to get input, from various top docs. There is never one simple answer. Focus on collecting information -- rather than all that would face you were the very worst to occur. You will be arming yourself, empowering yourself and actively participating in assuring that your most dreaded toughts will become your reality. Getting and gathering the best advice on the planet is your forte. You've done it for Ed. Now, Marie, it is time to concentrate on YOU and your well-being. You deserve that!

Sending you love, prayers, never-ending support and wishes for only positive outcomes for you. Just as you do every day on this board, and in your life, for others. It is time for karma to come into play, and for you to feel all that loving energy return to you, in accordance with Universal Law. Do not panic. Move forward prudently and wisely.

BIG HUGS,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking Oh My Girls

I do feel better today thinking about things and reading the links that I do not have time to gather right now, thanks to my peeps here. The thing saving me right now is the great optical nerves, thus me having sight today, but the glaucoma must be addressed now. The cataracts are not much of a concern since the procedure should be fine as long as I have a good doctor performing it.

Thoughts were racing through this mind yesterday, total caos. Just thinking about caring for my Loves and me getting the support that has saved our lives. Think about it.....how would many of you deal with getting support from our favorite site if you could not see?? As Flori would say "Oy". Now push those thoughts away 'cause they are ugly. Too scary.

I will survive. I look at you all and I know I will make it through, this will be a piece of cake, trick is BEFORE I lose sight this needs to be fixed. The pressure behinds the eyes is unbearable but I am taking something for anxiety.

Thanks girls, I feel much better. You are amazing. I will try to keep up but I do have moments of lost sight>>Marie G
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote