HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Snufi

Cool Chemo

Hi to all, Have finally decided to do chemo after 3 consultations. I know you probably all know the drill-TCH (6) rounds then Herceptin for 1 year. To all of you who have experienced this type of treatment could you respond as to whether it was really horrible or manageable. Want to know ahead of time what I am getting into. Was diagnosed ER+PR-Her+++ 2.3 cm, neg nodes.
Snufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
BonnieR

Hi Snufi, welcome to the club. (That nobody wants to belong to!) I had the same chemo. It was not "horrible". But certainly challenging sometimes. The worst part was the anticipation. In terms of side effects, I never had nausea but did lose my appetite. (It is a good idea to have quick and easy to prepare foods in the house. High protein things. Cheese, soups, Ensure beverages.) Tired. Bone pain that started a few days after the infusion and lasted a few days. Some neuropathy. For that my onc recommended that I drink Glutamine, an amino acid powder that you get in heath food stores. Ask about it.
I lost most all my hair, but gradually.
The treatments make for a long day. Bring something to pass the time. Reading, journal, iPod. It is always COLD in the treatment room too. Dress warm and very comfortable. My center provided sandwich lunches. Otherwise bring a snack and water.
I am sure you have lots more questions. I just wanted to get you started. We have all gotten through chemo and you will to.Sometimes I can hardly believe it all happened. But it is behind me. Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
freyja

Tch

Congratulations on making a tough decision and embarking on your healing journey. I had almost exactly the same prognosis as you, and the same chemo. It was dramatically effective for me, and tolerable. I would make sure you have some laxative with stool softener around, cuz if you're like me you'd have some constipation for a couple days after treatment. I took a lot of baths with my favorite bath salts, or oils or bubbles. It was the most comfortable place to be.
My hair started falling out 2weeks into treatment (I've heard that's the norm). My vote is to just shave it off when that happens, less messy.
I also advise that you visit this site often, and let us know how you feel. It's been amazingly valuable for me!
Celeste

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote