HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
Laurieanne

TIA or Neurapathy?

Happy New Year Everyone!

Spent Christmas weekend in the hospital. I had tingling
and weakness in my hand and leg. Doctors said it was a tia, but no evidence of anything on the mri or ct scan. Now i'm plavix for precaution. It's making me sick and I'm also worried about a stroke.
Could chemo be causing my tingling and weakness? I'm finished with TCH my last treatment was November 26th. I'm still on herceptin and started doing it every three weeks instead of every week. It seems that's when all my trouble started.
Has anyone had any similar problems. Or any suggestions would be great.
Thanks, Laurie
Laurieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
ElaineM

Wink TIA or Neurapathy?

Some kinds of chemo can cause tingling, numbness and or weakness in the hands, feet or legs. Your oncologist should be able to advise you about this. If she or he can't you can go to the websites for the kinds of chemo you are taking and find lists of possible side effects. You may even be able to call some of the drug companies that make your chemo and talk to a pharmacist about your symptoms and get information that way. An MRI should be able to tell you if you have had a stroke, but no test is fool proof I guess. There may be other ways to diagnose a stroke. Ask your medical professionals to advise you about which tests might help you do that.
Good luck and good health to you in 2009.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Unregistered

TCH and Neuropathy

Hi my last full chemo was October 28th and I have tingling in my fingers and feet...and to top it all of I am losing my nails. The doc. perscribed neurontin or something like that..it really isn't helping me too much.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
Chelee

Laurieanne, That's good news that nothing was found on the MRI or CT. Everyone can have different reactions to these drugs. I had quite a bit of neuropathy in my hands and feet from TCH. I did experience weakness during my treatments but that left once I finished.

I do have one thought since you said this seem to start when you went to the 3 wk dose of herceptin. Are you getting your herceptin infusion in 30 minutes or do you make them slow it down to 60 to 90 minutes? (It can make a difference.) I had problems with herceptin when they did it in 30 minutes but was fine once it was slowed down.
Also you could go back to wkly even though I realize that is not as convenient for you. I did most of my yr on wkly herceptin...only the last 3 months did I do the 3 wk schedule. That's all I can think of at present that might help. I sure hope they get this figured out for you. Hang in there.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Lida

Neurapathy or TIA

Laurieanne,

When I was on Taxatere/Herceptin for several months, I did get tingling in my fingers and feet. ( I have heard Carboplatin can also cause this.) My neurapathy resolved when I stopped this chemo. Now, years later, I just started Taxatere, Carboplatin, and Herceptin, no neurapathy yet.
As others have, I would suggest speaking with all your doctors (oncologist and doc knowledgeable about strokes) and perhaps, consulting with a company pharmacist, and checking reputable web sites. Good luck, Lida
Lida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Lori R

Laurieanne,
Although my regime was Taxatere + Herceptin, I too had tingling in my fingers. At times it was painful and made buttoning a blouse difficult. I also ended up with an infected finger. (I had a meltdown in the emergency room....this was NOT supposed to happen...I was DONE with Chemo)

But....the main info that I would like to pass along to you was that I had these challenges about a month after my last chemo. I finished in February and I had all these issues in late March. So our timing is similar.

I think that I was SOOOO ready to move on that I mentally moved on too quickly. It really does take a while for the drugs to work their way through your system.

But....it wasn't too long after that that the tingling gradually became less and I no longer have that sensation. I haven't had any further infected fingers.

I hope this provides some hope that it is just one last bump in the road that you can overcome.

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Laurieanne

Thank you,
I do want to move on quickly. I guess I
should slow down and let my body heal in it's
own time.
I will be doing herceptin weekly from now on. I spoke
with my oncologist and he doesn't have a problem with
it. Maybe it will help!
Laurie
Laurieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Chelee

Laurieanne, I think that's a good choice to make. This way it's process of elimination. If you go back to the wkly herceptin and these problems go away you will know the 3 week dose of herceptin was likely the cause. Plus it would be nice if you didn't have to take the Plavix and worry about a stroke.

Just to eliminate all problems with herceptin I would highly suggest you ask your chemo nurse if you could have your infusion of herceptin in 60 or 90 minutes...your choice. They like to give it in 30 but there are plenty of women that had problems with the 30 minute infusion. (Not all...but enough.)
Let us know how it goes at your next infusion. I truly hope this solves your problem. Good luck to you.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Cathya

Laurieanne;

Since my bout with bc including chemo (ac/taxol) and herceptin I have had a stroke and more recently a TIA. In my experience the TIA was very different from any sensation I felt in my hands/arms during or after chemo. I was not aware that I was having my stroke. I had been very dizzy but this was during my second bout of herceptin and my injection fraction was very low. It was only during a brain mri that it was identified. In November I had a TIA. My left arm went completely numb and felt swollen. I was in the middle of a store walking with my daughter and mother so I continued walking and rotated my arm for about 10 minutes until the sensation left. Following this I went to the hospital where I had blood work and an ekg. My blood pressure was very high and the neurologist put me on three different medications...heart, blood thinner and lipitor. It is routine here to have follow up tests which I am now concluding. My heart seems fine and this seems to be a lacunar stroke originating in my brain. Up until this time I had not been particularly reducing my salt intake etc. but I certainly am now. I also watch my blood pressure closely and with the medication it generally remain below 120/80. I am not sure exactly why I am having these problems and feel quite good now but my own gp believes that it is from the treatments for my bc as I didn't have high blood pressure or cholesterol previously. I hope this helps. The tests they are having me do are a doppler, echo cardiogram, halter moniter and head ct.

all the best,
Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote