HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
hutchibk

looking for Gamma, Cyber or Proton propeller-heads

Which one is REALLY the best one for whack-a-mole of a couple of very small brain lesions (apx 5mm).

What are the differences in each type of ray?

Thanks!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Joe
Webmaster

A fast Google search turned up the following:

http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/...am/GAMMA-K.HTM

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gam...urgery/HQ00736

Please email me..Chris and I are concerned.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
lilyecuadorian

the latests novalis ..compare with gamma knife ....

http://www.technologyofhope.com/doctors/Comparisons.htm

http://neurosurgery.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=408

http://radonc.urmc.rochester.edu/nov...vinCenter.html

http://www.novalis-surgery.com/scrip...ticleTypeID=77
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda

Last edited by lilyecuadorian; 07-15-2008 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: adding more inf
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
Lani

additional

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberknife
this link includes video of cyberknife: http://cancer.stanfordhospital.com/f...rknife/default
http://www.accuray.com/content.aspx?id=356
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
hutchibk

Hi all - I know this was a cryptic post, just doing my research in advance of an appt with my rads onc yesterday.

We saw some activity on my recent MRI, but it turns out that it is not new activity at all. Or at least not new spots. This is awesome news. We have seen a tiny bit of increased enhancement of my original brain spots, and one increase by 1mm, but then when he and I sat with the actual scans on the computer and went back through and compared 5 different MRIs over the year starting last April to last week, we noticed that they phase in and out of a little more enhanced, a little less enhanced, a touch more enhanced, a bit less enhanced, etc, etc... (like they wake up and go back to sleep a little every few months but remain stable) and armed with that comparison information, we are not at all worried like we were when we thought they might be new spots. It seems that the Tykerb/Xeloda is still doing it's job keeping them stable. Just to be prudent, though, we are going to do a CT of the torso and MRI of my rt illiac wing bone spot on Friday just to be sure that nothing new is showing up in the body, and we will MRI my melon every 6 weeks for a few cycles just to be sure that our theory holds true. If anything changes or increases at all, then we will do 5 fractions of SRT on each spot and zap them away...

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Last edited by hutchibk; 07-17-2008 at 02:33 PM..
Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Joe
Webmaster

Brenda,

GREAT NEWS ! ! .

regards
Joe and Christine

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
hutchibk

Thanks Joe. I was very relieved. The doc said he got goose-bumps after we compared all of the scans and determined that nothing we were seeing was new or really different at all. Kind of a false alarm. For now anyway.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Jackie07

Still a good news and please do celebrate!

My life-long Neurocytomas are inside of my lateral ventrical - kind of like an airbag inside of our brain to protect the organ. Because of the location, chemo has basically no effect. But it's been stable since the Gamma knife treatment. My understanding is that the radiation zapped the bloodvessel and the tumor quit growing. I actually believe the tumors are dead, but since mine has a tendancy to calcify, the nodules showing in the MRI are probably just dead stones.

Many of our 'board members' have had their brain mets well-controlled. I am sure even if there's anything there, your doctor will find a good way to either get rid of it or have it under good control.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Jean

Dear Sweet Brenda!
I have real tears of JOY!
Know that I love you and your news has made me so
happy.

I continue to keep you in my daily prayers.
But OMG - you are just "SOMETHING ELSE"

Love the new picture also.
Big Big Hugs coming your way!
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
eric

Im sure everything would have been ok regardless but still...yippeee! Great news, enjoy. Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
hutchibk

Thanks all. I am just so thankful that my docs are so thorough! They leave nothing to chance... and we monitor, monitor, monitor.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 07-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Joy

So good to hear that...

YOU HAVE AN EMPTY MELON! Revel in this great news and thank you for sharing it.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
Soccermom2006

Oh Brenda, I am happy to to hear your good news! Great Docs you've got,

Big hugs,Marcia
Soccermom2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
Ceesun

Brenda, Been away for a month-glad all is well. Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
Becky

Hi Brenda

I haven't been responding all that much due to family circumstances but - I don't think you have a melon up there but a very savvy brain my dear.

Much love and hugs to you

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
sassy

Brenda,

So glad all is well!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #17
Mary Jo

Doing the happy dance in Wisconsin.....

MJ
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
Mary Jeanne Phillips

Hi Hitch, this is Mary Jeanne. When I had to make the decision in 2005, I decided on a craniotomy to see if it was a met or primary. That was a tumor in the rear of the frontal lobe.
At that time I interviewed the people at our U. of Fl. school of medicine here in Jacksonville, Fl. who has one of the only PROTON machines in the U.S. and they informed me that they do it primarily on primary tumors and felt that Gamma was the best for brain tumors. I talked to the Cyber Knife folks and they tell me that it depends on the location of the tumor. If it can't be reached by Gamma, then Cyber would be the choice.
I had Gamma in 2007 for 2 small tumors, one was found the day they did the double contrast for the work up for the procedrue, the second Gamma knife the same, went in for one tumor and they found another small one . That was just in July of 2008. I have done extremely well and the MRI this week was looking good with no increeased prgression and no new tumors and the 5 tumors (4 with Gamma) had all decreased in size. they were very pleased. Said not ot worry about the brain anymore but do something about the mets in the other organs. That is when I said I might try TYKERB. I asked if anyone had poor blood work with the RBCS and WBCS taking Tykerb but got no answer. How were your blood tests during it??
I believe finding the tumors in the very early stage with the very small size of them has been a blessing. I have never had any symptoms of brain tumors. Just fortumate that they ordered MRI's thinking there may be mets there.
I hope this helps with your decision. I am doing Immune Boosting hypnotherapy with a psychoneuroimmunologist from the U. of FL. every week to overcome the "confused cells" in the body. It is very positive and seems to be the new wave of a very old part of research that has been around a long time. People are just now believing what scientist and psychologist and biochemist have been saying for a long time "mind over matter".
I love it and it keeps me "cool, calm, collected, relaxed and easy going" and for this high energy mostly stressed all my life it is certainly a relief.
HOPe this helps . YOU are a wonderful HELP. Mary Jeanne
Mary Jeanne Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
hutchibk

Hey MJP- I did answer that question for you on the Tykerb/Herceptin thread...

I have worked it all out with my Rads Onc... Thanks for your info. Mine little tumors have all been in areas that are not friendly to surgery, and luckily they are not in any areas that are threatening anything either. And, as of now, they are either necrotic or inactive, so we don't need to rush into any radiation treatments. Tykerb seems to still be doing it's job.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #20
Patb

Good news Brenda. It sounds like you have great
Doctors to keep checking things out. Take care.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote