HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Skip

2od treatment-no pain

My wife had her 2od treatment (T&H) Thursday 18th and so far just a little headache. The shooting pains, (all over her body), she experienced last time have not returned.

The herceptin dose was a "maintenance" dose we were told, last time she had a "loading" dose. The Taxotere was the same dose as the first time.

2 treatments down 4 more to go. I'm really hopeful she responds well to this treatment. Waiting to see if her markers are going down.

News on my sister, part of her colon removed 1 node of 36 positive she said she will get chemo after 6 weeks recovery time.
News on my mother, responding well to treatment at 85 years old.
Surgery 12-09
CT scan: liver mets
MRI of Head: clean
Bone scan: clean
1st treatment: 1-28-10
Taxotere & Herceptin every 21 days
6 rounds of Taxotere
Herceptin every 21 days (on going)
Liver mets...GONE!
CT scans,bone scans & MRI's NED
NED to date
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Jean

Re: 2od treatment-no pain

Hi Skip,
Thank you for posting and keeping us updated. I am so happy to hear the 2nd treatment was easier. I would also come home after treatment and take a warm soothing soaking bath. Also placing a heating pad on her legs is comforting and helps with the cramps that sometimes comes with the treatment and elevating her legs with a pillow can offer relief.

Best wishes being sent to both of you...hey did I mention a soothing back and neck massage from hubby is wonderful also!

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 02-20-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
juanita

thanks for the update. i'm glad things were a little better for her this time!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Re: 2od treatment-no pain

Thanks for sharing the good news about your wife. I hope your sister and mother continue to do well too.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
chrisy

Skip, glad to hear the second round was easier.

Too bad it's going to be TOUGHER for the cancer
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Skip

2od treatment-no pain-update

What a week! The pain my wife experienced after her first treatment (T&H) thankfully did not happen this time.

With that said, she's had a lousy week and is still not feeling
her normal self. Its like having a flu without a fever, she's tired, no energy, cold and has annoying headaches, slightly nauseous and getting a little depressed feeling like this everyday. Nights, well they are the worse, your mind has nothing better to do than think about the cancer and how miserable your life has become. Not to mention all the little annoying side effects from chemo & narcotics thrown in the mix, just one more thing to worry about.

Watching my LOML go through this is... hard to say the least. I do what I can for her wishing I could take her pain and misery away.It feels like someone has reached in to my chest and is ripping my hart out.

Please tell me this will get better after chemo, she can't do this for ever.

One more thing, cancer sucks.
Surgery 12-09
CT scan: liver mets
MRI of Head: clean
Bone scan: clean
1st treatment: 1-28-10
Taxotere & Herceptin every 21 days
6 rounds of Taxotere
Herceptin every 21 days (on going)
Liver mets...GONE!
CT scans,bone scans & MRI's NED
NED to date
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
schoolteacher

Skip,

Thinking of you and your wife. I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel. I understanding how she feels about the night being the worse part of this journey.

One of the members on this board encouraged me to walk a little during chemo, and the walking seemed to help me the second and third week.

You and your wife I are in my prayers.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
chrisy

Hi Skip,
Well you hit the nail on the head with that last comment!

But it will get better. There should be periods during each cycle where she feels pretty good - you might try calendaring it, then you could both at least know "oh, I feel lousy today but by sunday I know I'll be feeling better". I have some s/e on TDM1 but they are like clockwork - we know Friday is "fever day"... and Saturday I will be normal.

I'm not sure I remember your wife's treatment plan exactly, but in my situation I initially had 6 cycles of TCH and then continued in a maintenance mode on herceptin alone. Physically the herceptin alone is less bothersome.

I do also know the sleepless nights. I assume your wife gets decadron premeds for the taxotere - and it is known to have people up all night cleaning the house...or worrying. Possibly she can get a dose reduction on that.

For me, on my treatment day I always took an Ativan in the evening - it is an antinausea med but also helps with sleeplessness.

Over the long haul, I do still have SOME sleepless nights - and there are times (like around scans) that I lay awake wondering how things came to this and worrying about the future. But mostly I live a pretty normal life.

For example last night I couldn't get to sleep because I was stressed out over stupid things people had done (or not done) at work. But tonight I'll probably sleep just fine because TGIF!

Hang in there
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
alicem

Skip,

What a sweetheart you are to be here on your wife's behalf. I am so sorry that either of you had to join our little club, but you really couldn't be in a better place given the circumstances.

I wanted to add my two cents worth because I am just about one year down the road from where you wife is right now. I had my first chemo (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin) on 1/20/2009. I too had the flu like feelings, sleepless nights, headaches and an "unsettled stomach". Today - I struggle to remember what that felt like. The human mind is kind in that regard. In fact, the memories started fading even months after I was done with my treatment.

I second what Amelia said about walking. I also had a friend tell me that she went for about an hour walk in the mall the day of her treatment. I noticed when I did some form of mild exercise immediately after my treatment it seemed to help the side effects. I also highly recommend drinking LOTS of water. Your wife's kidney's are working overtime trying to flush the nasty stuff out of her body. Making sure she is hydrated will help out. I had one treatment where I felt just horrible, and it was the treatement that I forgot to drink my water.

I hope the next couple of months pass by quickly for your wife. Please feel free to come to us anytime with any questions you might have. That is what we are here for.

Wishing you both all the best.

Alice
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
alicem

One other thing, it is absolutely vital that your wife get a good night's sleep each night. I was getting only about 4-5 hours of sleep a night at the beginning. I tried the generic version of Ambien and it did not help me. I then tried Ambien CR (advertised as one drug to help you get to sleep, then a time released second drug to help you stay asleep). I was worried when I got the prescription because it mentioned that it could be habit forming. I started with 30 pills last year, and I know I have used less than 10. One thing I DO remember is how much better I felt after my first night with 8 hours of continuous sleep. I took one more the second night and then tried not taking one the third night. I still got 8 hours of sleep. That continued for about a week. When I had another sleepless night, I took a pill the next night. Within a month and about 5 or 6 pills, I did not lose another night of sleep for almost 6 months. I do believe my sleep helped make the chemo more tolerable.
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Becky

I also want to add that if your wife likes yogurt, she should eat it - maybe even Activa (although I have never eaten Activa so I don't know what it tastes like). Your entire gut is made of "rapidly dividing cells" just like cancer is rapidly dividing cells. Therefore, much of the beneficial bacteria in the gut are also affected by chemo and yogurt can help get the balance back.

If she doesn't like yogurt, you can buy probiotic pills. Get a good one from GNC or a health food store. This might help ease the nausea more quickly and they can be taken during chemo because it is not an antioxidant or anything like that.

Its lousy to feel lousy but it will pass. ASK for help too - soups for friends to make that are easy to eat. That might help too. You can still do fun things you like such as renting movies or even playing games you used to like (Yahtzee or Scrabble). Doing things takes your mind off feeling lousy and depressed.

Lastly, it is a depressing time for both of you. Her going through the treatment and you watching it. It's natural to feel this way so give yourselves a break.

Hugs to both of you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote