HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
lasarles

Pain months following treatments

Hi all, I'm having a lot of annoying pain, not severe, more aggravating and uncomfortable in my dx breast. It is sometimes around the incision/lumpectomy site and also along the side of my breast to my armpit. Just wondering if It's just nerve damage or post radiation stuff. Anyone experiencing this months after treatment?
3/13/12 44th Birthday, Mammogram, Ultrasound.
3/15/12 Needle Biopsy on Lump and Suspicious Node.
3/20/12 Dreadful "C" Word.
ER90% PR90% Her2+
1 cm, IDC, Stage 1, Grade 2
4/19/12 Portecath, Lumpectomy & Sentinel Node Removal. 0/4 Node Involvement...Yea!!
Margins Clear......Yea!!
5/17/12 Chemo Begins. TCH x 4.
Herceptin Weekly x 4, every 3 wks thereafter for 1 yr. Muga Scans every 3 mos.
8/13/12 Rads x 30
9/24/12 Start Tamoxifen
10/22/12 CT/Whole Body Bone Scan. No Cancer Detected......Yea!
1/31/13 Annual Mammogram and Ultrasound....NED....:)
5/23/13 Final Herceptin Appt
6/25/13 Port Removal
5/2017 Stop Tamoxifen (Thickening of Uterine Walls)
5/2017 Start Arimadex
6/2018 Start Lupron Shot
9/2019 Stop Arimidex and Lupron Shot
6/2020 Last Oncology Appt
4/2024 NED (No Evidence of Disease)
lasarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Pain months following treatments

Whatever reason that's behind it, you need to report it to your doctor/oncoloy nurse. They might brush it away, or they might know the reason behind/treatment for it.

I had read that some women have painful mammograms. So I brushed aside my extremely paintul mammograms after being told everything was good. When things went really wrong (losing job after job and extremely fatigued), I contacted the original surgeon and she ordered a new mammogram and realized the so-called 'scar tissues' being read by other doctors previously (for 4 years!) were actually recurrence.

Certainly hope your pain is nothing related to recurrence. But the only way to find out is for you to pursue it.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Kellennea

I am 2.5 years out from surgery and experience the same pain. My breasts have always been tender, no matter where I was in my cycle. My breast center uses the digital breast tomosynthesis machine now and that makes me feel waaaay more comfortable about results. When first Dx'd my tumor wasnt visable on a regular mammogram machine so I had to have an US to find it. Every six months I complain about the pain near my scar area and armpit and every 6 months I am told that it's scar tissue. Check with your breast surgeon for sure though!
11/3/10 -2.5cm tumor removed via lumpectomy, clear margins. sentinal node biopsy - nodes clear!
12/2/10 - port placement
12/2/10 to 3/17/11 - 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin every 3rd week.
04/20/11 - 6/6/11 - 33 rounds of radiation
4/6/11 to 11/2/11 - 11 additional rounds of herceptin every 3rd week
7/15/11 - port removal
7/5/11 started my 5 year journey on Tamoxifen
9/4/11 -1 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
9/5/12 -2 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
8/29/12 - Started spotting after being in chemopause 1.5 years. Ultra sound detected 6cm ovary mass & very thick lining. YIKES! Taken off Tamoxifen
9/6/12 - Full abdominal hysterectomy. Pathology report came back clean... thank you baby Jesus!!
9/28/12 - Started Anastrozole
Kellennea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

I still have pain in my left arm. They removed 21 lymph nodes. Don't think they do that anymore. Sentinel nodes. Anyway, especially when lying down, I get really bad pain throughout my arm. Sometimes I boost it up on a bolster pillow. I rearrange my 3 pillows for my head (hard, medium and super soft). I use a neck U (like the one in the airports) only I use it in bed. With the rounded part beneath my neck. I try various positions and finally get comfortable.

Some pain in armpit still. Tram flap breast (foob for fake boob) has no sensation. I still have pain where my 12 yr old port was. That was my 2nd port. It is scar tissue.

I always report every symptom to my onc. I bring a list, not to forget anything. Not to complain, but to do my job and be responsible and report it.

After Taxotere I would occasionally experience deep muscle pain in my legs and arms YEARS OUT... I know this sounds crazy, I'd begin, and I'd report to my onc. NO, it's not crazy. Many patients tell me of the same experience. It was comforting to know I wasn't the only one. It took yrs for it to stop. That plus my Carnitine, Coenzyme, Alpha Lipoic Acid combo. (See WHY I TAKE SUPPLEMENTS thread for more on that...)

I developed severely dry super dry eyes from Taxotere. Lived clenching a tissue perpetually, even throughout dinner, which makes it really difficult to cut your meat. Friends would question if it was psychological/emotional. No. I have an excellent attitude. Use huge amount of eye drops and manage to not tear all day. Or have that pain like there's ground glass in my eye.

I HAD VERY DENSE BREASTS. SOMETIMES REQUIRING A SECOND READ @ MAMMO. I HAD A CLEAR MAMMO THE AUG BEFORE I WAS DX. I HAVE LOBULAR BC. A RADIOLOGIST'S WORST NIGHTMARE I'M TOLD. IT HIDES. YOU CAN'T SEE IT AND WHEN YOU DO -- IT IS HUGE.

SO I GET THE MAMMO AND A SONO ANNUALLY. HAVE A CHEST/ABDOMEN/PELVIC CT NOW ANNUALLY -- (BEFORE EV 6 MNTHS, BEFORE EV 4 MNTHS, BEFORE EV 3 MNTHS, BEFORE EV 8 WKS.) I LIKE THE DOUBLE CHECK AND I SPACE THE CT MNTHS AWAY FROM THE MAMMO.

I DID SEE MY BREAST SURGEON EV 6 MNTHS, AT HIS SUGGESTION. BUT I'VE STOPPED THAT. Believe it or not, my wonderful breast surgeon passed on. I outlived the breast surgeon! And 1 cancer center! Pretty amazing I must say.

Report everything. Get a sono w/your mammo. That's what I think.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
lasarles

Thank you all for your responses. I have had a CT scan, whole body bone scan, 2 mammograms and an ultra sound since finishing radiation. I am told all show NED. I also wonder if the tamoxifen plays a roll in this. Screwing with my hormones and no period since last May.
3/13/12 44th Birthday, Mammogram, Ultrasound.
3/15/12 Needle Biopsy on Lump and Suspicious Node.
3/20/12 Dreadful "C" Word.
ER90% PR90% Her2+
1 cm, IDC, Stage 1, Grade 2
4/19/12 Portecath, Lumpectomy & Sentinel Node Removal. 0/4 Node Involvement...Yea!!
Margins Clear......Yea!!
5/17/12 Chemo Begins. TCH x 4.
Herceptin Weekly x 4, every 3 wks thereafter for 1 yr. Muga Scans every 3 mos.
8/13/12 Rads x 30
9/24/12 Start Tamoxifen
10/22/12 CT/Whole Body Bone Scan. No Cancer Detected......Yea!
1/31/13 Annual Mammogram and Ultrasound....NED....:)
5/23/13 Final Herceptin Appt
6/25/13 Port Removal
5/2017 Stop Tamoxifen (Thickening of Uterine Walls)
5/2017 Start Arimadex
6/2018 Start Lupron Shot
9/2019 Stop Arimidex and Lupron Shot
6/2020 Last Oncology Appt
4/2024 NED (No Evidence of Disease)
lasarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

So Isarles this is very good news. I hope your pain soon abates. If it does, keep mentioning it to your doc. It's your job to report in w/a list of questions and concerns. It is not a bother, or shouldn't be. He can't read your mind. If he poo poos everything, go for a 2nd and 3rd opinion if you're left feeling your're not connecting with the doc. That happens. Listen to your Inner Voice. Let it guide you.

The pain is less when you know you've passed your tests I think. Embrace the good news. Keep a watchful eye on any messages your body sends to you. And keep reporting in...

With love,
ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
IrvineFriend

My surgeon told me some pain may be the nerves regenerating and sensation returning.

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote