HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
CoolBreeze

Re: Thoughts on drinking alcohol

Studies are showing a correlation. I drank heavy in my 20s. I was a bartender and both my parents are alcoholics, my mother died from alcoholic cirhossis of the liver and my dad is still drunk from morning to night. They hated non-drinkers and it never occurred to me, the way I was raised, that you could live your life without booze. I spent maybe ten years getting wasted every night.

When I got knocked up at age 28 and became a mother, that changed instantly. I didn't want to raise my child the way I'd been raised. I pretty much quit. I drank but very rarely, only socially, and very little. When I married my husband, we would have a couple beers at night and then I'd decide drinking every day was too much and we'd just have them on the weekend. I stopped even that when I got pregnant again, but as the child grew, we'd start our weekend habit again.

Then I got cancer and stopped. I have mets to my liver now. I'll never know if I did this to myself with all that partying in my 20s, although I don't believe I did. I do fall more into the crapshoot idea, after all my mother drank ten times more than I did and lived 78 years cancer-free, and my dad is going strong and falling down drunk at 83.

But, I believe that alcohol is unnecessary to life's enjoyment, it is a poison that the body has to metabolize out, with the chemos I take and the drugs I take I don't want to give my liver one more thing to do.

I might have a drink on my birthday, if I have the energy to go out somewhere. But once or twice a year is enough for me.

I don't care what anybody else does, but if you believe you can't stop that you have a problem that needs to be examined.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
Kellennea

I go back and forth with it. I was never a heavy drinker, more of a social drinker, or a "Ive had a rough day at the office, I need a couple glasses of wine" drinker.

I asked my oncologist and she, like many, believes in the "all things in moderation" vibe... we're actually both members of the same local winery. I asked her if I should give up my membership and she said no... love her

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying a glass or two of wine with dinner or a night out with the girls. On a really stressful night, I might even indulge in an extra dirty martini with blue cheese olives
11/3/10 -2.5cm tumor removed via lumpectomy, clear margins. sentinal node biopsy - nodes clear!
12/2/10 - port placement
12/2/10 to 3/17/11 - 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin every 3rd week.
04/20/11 - 6/6/11 - 33 rounds of radiation
4/6/11 to 11/2/11 - 11 additional rounds of herceptin every 3rd week
7/15/11 - port removal
7/5/11 started my 5 year journey on Tamoxifen
9/4/11 -1 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
9/5/12 -2 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
8/29/12 - Started spotting after being in chemopause 1.5 years. Ultra sound detected 6cm ovary mass & very thick lining. YIKES! Taken off Tamoxifen
9/6/12 - Full abdominal hysterectomy. Pathology report came back clean... thank you baby Jesus!!
9/28/12 - Started Anastrozole
Kellennea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
caya

I was never a heavy drinker - a few beers in the college years, more wine though - but never more than a couple of glasses/week. Once or twice I did imbibe a bit more than that -
After I got married, I would only have the occasional glass of wine at a wedding, Bar Mitzvah, dinner out with friends. I'm talking maybe 2-4 glasses/month - if that. I did not drink at all during chemo/Herceptin. I still occasionally will have a glass of red wine - if it's one glass/month, that would be it.

I was in the best shape of my adult life before diagnosis - I had lost about 20 lbs. going to a Curves-type ladies only circuit gym 4-5x/week, was eating well etc. Low blood pressure, cholesterol etc. When I got diagnosed, my GP just shook her head and said - "You're as healthy as a horse, except for the breast cancer..." My husband had a brain aneurysm 9 months before my diagnosis (we were very lucky, he is okay). I'm sure the stress of his surgery, recovery, and me taking over our business completely may have contributed to it. I think it's a bit of a crapshoot, and a bit of what we do. I tell my girls to watch the booze, because they are now at double the risk.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote