HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #21
Sandra in GA

Re: Side Effects of Ending Herceptin

I am almost finished with my year-long treatment of Herceptin and Tykerb. I will get my last Herceptin dose Nov. 11th and then take the Tykerb one more week and finish everything Nov. 18th. I had not thought about side effects of coming off these drugs until I read your responses to this thread. I am glad this is here. Now, I understand better what to expect. I am still excited and looking forward to having my port removed and my reconstruction completed.

My onc is checking to see if there are any more openings in the vaccine trial that is evaluating the dosage of the vaccine down here at Mayo in Jacksonville, FL. While I am disease free, I want to do everything I can to stay that way. This is one tough battle and I have met the strongest women in the world in this battle through this discusion board. Every time I read here, I am amazed at the knowledge that all of you have about this disease, the doctors, and the treatments. Thank you so much for sharing and caring.
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
ninicruce

Sandra, You are right, it does help so much to hear from other women who are/have been going thru this tough road.
I am glad to see you are a fighter because that is what it takes. What type of vaccine trial are you talking about?
I will start coming off in Nov., we will just see what effects happen. But hearing from others has me prepared and has given me options.
God bless,
nini
ninicruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #23
Sandra in GA

I'm not sure exactly which vaccine he is talking about. He did say they are involved in two studies. One using a placebo against the vaccine and the other which he said he preferred for me using different dosages and additional agents added to increase the effectiveness. He said that you had to finished with the initial treatments and be disease free to qualify. He wasn't sure if the study was full or not. I will see him again on the 20th of this month and will learn more. I will be sure to share the info.
Thanks for you reply.
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Old 10-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #24
Sandra in GA

Nini,
I forgot to ask. What did you take? How long did you get injections? Did you have any problems?
Thank you SO much.
Sandra