HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
'lizbeth

Smile Walter Reed Vaccine trial

Hello all,

I am headed out to San Antonio January 6 to 11th to participate in the vaccine trial.

I'd love to do lunch or a dinner if you are a San Antonio local.

Warm regards,

'lizbeth

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Yorkiegirl

Re: Walter Reed Vaccine trial

Lizbeth I thought Walter Reed was in DC???
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Adriana Mangus

Hi from Adriana

Hi Lizbeth;

I also live in the San Diego area. Good to know there is someone near who belongs to this group. Great news....
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
'lizbeth

Walter Reed is in DC, but the vaccine trial is at other Army locations. The closest one to San Diego is San Antonio.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Jackie07

'lizbeth,

I would love to take this opportunity to meet you at San Antonio - been there three times (in the 20th Century and loved it. But I'm afraid I won't be recovering well enough from my surgery (a week from now on the 10th) to make the 6-hour 'round' trip. Alas...

Do think of us while you are on the Riverwalk...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 12-02-2009 at 09:59 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
schoolteacher

'lizbeth,

I am excited about your participation in this trial. Please let us know how things go. How many vaccines will you have to have? What is the name of the vaccine?

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
'lizbeth

Amelia,

I have a 50/50 chance of receiving a second generation vaccine. Since I am HLA-A2+ it would likely be the GP2 peptide vaccine. Or I might be randomized to the Leukine arm which has also shown benefits with cancer.

Either way I hope to reduce my chance of recurrence and hopefully in the future give others an opportunity for treatment other than chemotherapy.

Officially I won't find out what I receive until disease progressions, a medical problem or the end of the 5 year study.

I'll let you know how it goes.

'lizbeth

Additional treatments:

Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Joan M

Lizbeth,

Do you have specific information about this trial? Which one is it? Do you have a link? I tried searching on this site and came up with E75 vaccine, but when I looked at clinicaltrails.com with that search term, it was unclear.

Also, is this trial for advanced or early stage bc. I'm not sure what "disease progression" means in this context. It seems like you might be early stage, but I'm not sure.

Good luck with the trial and keep us posted.

Thanks much.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!

Last edited by Joan M; 12-03-2009 at 12:33 PM..
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
'lizbeth

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...cine%22&rank=1

Additional treatments:

Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Sandra in GA

'lizbeth,
Do you have to be HLA-A2+ to participate in this trial?
Thanks,
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
'lizbeth

There are 2 arms in the Walter Reed vaccine trial. One for the GP2 peptide/GM-CSF and one for AE37 peptide/GM-CSF vaccine.

The GP2 is for HLA-A2positive, the AE37 is for HLA-A2 negative.

The control is GM-CSF which we would have a 50% chance of receiving. The GM-CSF is Leukine which is currently being used in the treatment of leukemia.

These are 2nd generation vaccines.

Additional treatments:

Old 12-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
'lizbeth

Joan, E75 is the first generation vaccine. There have only been a few small Phase I trials with the GP2 and AE37.

Additional treatments:

Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 AM   #13
Sandra in GA

Thank you so much Elizabeth. I am hoping to get into a trial, but I have not been tested yet. It will be after February 19 before they can test me. I am glad to see that this trial offers arms for people both positive and negative. You should feel lucky. I have heard that only about 45% of the population is positive and those benefit most from vaccines.
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
'lizbeth

Sandra,

I thought being tested was part of the trial. I just happened to get tested before. That brings up a good question, why have the AE37 vaccine for those who are negative? There must be some evidence that it is effective or companies would not spend millions of dollars pursuing results in a clinical trial?

I feel very lucky to be part of this trial. I am hoping that Balboa NMC in San Diego is approved soon so that I don't have to make too many trips out to San Antonio.

Elizabeth

Additional treatments:

Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
Sandra in GA

You are right. I am a patient at Mayo in Jacksonville and have been trying to get into their trial. Since I took my last Tykerbs on Nov. 17th, they won't test me until after Feb. 17th. Their trial only includes the positive folks. They are not offering anything for the negative folks. They are not offering the EA37 vaccine, so that would explain why they had told me the vaccine they have would not be effective for neg participants.

Since I live in south Georgia, Jacksonville is less that three hours away by car. However, if necessary, I can get to North Carolina for the vaccine.

Thank you so much for your answer. I am like you. I just want to beat this disease in the head. I have been in a trial for early HER2+ breast cancer patients that combined Tykerb (lapatinib) and Herceptin along with all the regular chemo and radiation. I do hope the vaccine will help me but I also hope I can help others not have to go through all I have. My children are grown, but they have already lost their father to brain cancer and I do so want to be here for my grandchildren. The youngest is only two. My only granddaughter will be four in Jan. and my visualiation is being at her wedding!

Thanks a million~
Sandra
Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
krisvell

'Lizabeth;
How did you go about deciding which Clinical Trial was right for you? I contacted Walter Reed as I am interested in the BC Vaccine Trials. They sent me the information but said I need to wait until all my treatments are done (end of June '10). It would be a real hike for me to go do DC but I am willing to make the sacrifice to stay NED. Any advice would be appreciated.
10/07/09 - Finished Chemo
10/27/09 - Mastectomy RB
Path Report: RB No residual tumor pCR,
2 of 15 pos - .5mm largest micromets
12/18/09 - Radiation started (28)
02/05/10 - Finished Radiation
01/11/10 - Started Femara
06/22/10 - Finished Herceptin.. My son's 22nd BD. Hope it's a sign! Hoping for the best.
11/15/10 - Started Walter Reed BC Vaccine trial at
1/04/11 - Sibley Mem. Had to withdraw due to met
01/23/11 - Stage IV - Brain Met 1.6cm 1.7cm
02/03/11 - Gamma Knife (2 fracts to minmize necrosis)
03/01/11 - Gamma Knife
6/11 - Necrosis
7/11 - Necrosis stopped & Tumor progression
8/11 = Now think it's really necrosis
9/11 - Avastin every two weeks -- It's working!! Necrosis is shrinking.
12/11 - Necrosis gone AVASTIN worked.
12/11 - Bone &CT found

Oct '10 - Ran Hartford 1/2 Marathon to Thank Dr. Slamon for Herceptin!
krisvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
'lizbeth

Krisvell,

I only found 2 vaccine trials that I qualified for (there might have been more, but I didn't find them).

I didn't read the Mayo clinic information closely enough to see I had to be enrolled within 3 months after primary treatment.

The Walter Reed was within 6 months after primary treatment. One of the principle investigators for the trial works at Balboa NMCSD where I am a patient. They tried to obtain approval for the trial at my location, but didn't go through IRB in time and I had to fly to another location to participate.

Mayo clinic is offering a vaccine that works with something other than HER2. The Walter Reed trial is a phase II for GP2(HLA-A2+) and AE37(HLA-A2-). I am the human lab rat that will show whether or not the vaccines are effective, lol.

I asked my oncologist to have my blood tested to see if I was HLA-A2+. From the posts on this website I had gotten the impression that if I was HLA-A2- that a HER2 vaccine wasn't available for me.

My advice is to find all the trials that you might qualify for and obtain as much information as you can. Call folks up who are responsible for the enrollment and start asking questions now.

I drug my feet and almost missed being enrolled.

Additional treatments:

Old 02-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Becky

I think one of the reasons that you need to be close to when treatment ended is that there can be reminants of cancer or dead cancer remaining for the dendrites to find (dendrites are what "finds" the "invader") so they can rush to the lymph nodes and get the immune response started.

For the record, this is why I took Leukine as my white blood cell booster over Neulasta during chemo (87 doses to be exact). One criteria for that is that there were lymph nodes remaining on the cancer side (I had 10 removed so there were plenty left). My rationale was that by taking the Leukine, I was, in effect, hopefully self vaccinating.

I am still here over 5 years out so who knows. I did Leukine because at the time, Herceptin wasn't available in the adjuvant setting and I was node positive and I thought it would give me the best shot considering there was no Herceptin yet.

Oddly, right after chemo ended, Herceptin was available so I did take that solo (without chemo).

In the end, one never really knows what part of treatment works - was it just the surgery alone, chemo, rads, Herceptin, Leukine?

Just wanted to share that I've had my share of Leukine too. If you have any questions on it, I do know all about it - how it works and the side effects.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
'lizbeth

Becky,

I'm going to start posting on my on thread insteading hijacking Elle's.

I get the worst headaches and muscle & joint aches from Leukine. Did you get those too?

My blood pressure also increases when I get the injections, but drops after an hour.

The funny thing is before the "vaccine" I was having an extemely difficult time cognitively. I don't know if it is the GP2 or the Leukine that is working but I am doing significantly better physically, and as a result of good health, emotionally.

I look at the previous studies and I see a benefit to the HLA-A2+ from the first generation vaccine E75. A2+ cancers are larger, more aggressive. If the vaccine lowered the recurrence rate and the mortality rate as shown in the publishings on E75, then the medical industry needs to reexamine their objectives.

My study will show if the second generation vaccine for A2+ is effective. And as a bonus there is an arm for the A2- with the AE37 vaccine. Blindly randomized.

I'll let you know if I get an autoimmune disease or a heart attack and then you can tell me you told me so, lol. I'm so excited to be the vaccine trial. It will be great when it is finished so we can all see the effectiveness.

I have the results of the Phase I results of my trial which is dogearred from reading. It just was published in Cancer, and has probably already been posted to this board, somewhere.

Additional treatments:

Old 02-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #20
Becky

I was a Leukine side effect poster child. The drug does rapidly lower blood pressure after about one hour. I was extremely weak on the Leukine (got a shot everyday for 10 days in a row during every chemo cycle). I got hives at the injection site (they moved the site everytime) starting on the 7th injection and thereafter. This is supposed to be a GREAT thing as it is showing an immune response. However, I had to be extremely careful about coming in contact with anything I was allergic to. One time, we went out to dinner and I ate food I always eat but there must have been something that I am on the edge with and my lips swelled (gigantic) and I took lots of benadryl but it took 24 hrs to subside. I was a wreck then. The first days of every cycle I had tremendous bone pain. All side effects were worse in the beginning than they were ongoing. However, the lip swell thing was the cycle after my first Taxol (I did 4 AC then 4 taxol dense dose). So I think the allergic thing was in full gear as I had big problems with hives all over my body with Taxol so the Leukine didn't help me much there as this was intensified. Bad enough to have to get an epi-pen. But I persisted to stay on as I really believed in Leukine and I also felt the immune response assisted as I refused decadron as that also negatively affects the immune response. I depended solely on benadryl which is a drug that does not affect the hoped for action of Leukine (and the dendritic effect).

I was exhausted but felt like I was winning the war. Going to the cancer center all the time was no joy either.

I remember when I went back to start Herceptin and I asked what kind of side effects and was told "allergic reactions". All I did was laugh out loud. I'm sure they thought I was nuts but it was not anything like my reactions to Taxol when I was on Leukine!!

Keep on trucking.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote