HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
sarah

MD Anderson's charges

I was saddened to read about this. I thought MD Anderson was a non-profit hospital but.....

http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/2...ticle-mostpop1
1. Routine Care, Unforgettable Bills
When Sean Recchi, a 42-year-old from Lancaster, Ohio, was told last March that he had non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, his wife Stephanie knew she had to get him to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Stephanie’s father had been treated there 10 years earlier, and she and her family credited the doctors and nurses at MD Anderson with extending his life by at least eight years.
Because Stephanie and her husband had recently started their own small technology business, they were unable to buy comprehensive health insurance. For $469 a month, or about 20% of their income, they had been able to get only a policy that covered just $2,000 per day of any hospital costs. “We don’t take that kind of discount insurance,” said the woman at MD Anderson when Stephanie called to make an appointment for Sean.
Stephanie was then told by a billing clerk that the estimated cost of Sean’s visit — just to be examined for six days so a treatment plan could be devised — would be $48,900, due in advance. Stephanie got her mother to write her a check. “You do anything you can in a situation like that,” she says. The Recchis flew to Houston, leaving Stephanie’s mother to care for their two teenage children.
About a week later, Stephanie had to ask her mother for $35,000 more so Sean could begin the treatment the doctors had decided was urgent. His condition had worsened rapidly since he had arrived in Houston. He was “sweating and shaking with chills and pains,” Stephanie recalls. “He had a large mass in his chest that was … growing. He was panicked.”
Nonetheless, Sean was held for about 90 minutes in a reception area, she says, because the hospital could not confirm that the check had cleared. Sean was allowed to see the doctor only after he advanced MD Anderson $7,500 from his credit card. The hospital says there was nothing unusual about how Sean was kept waiting. According to MD Anderson communications manager Julie Penne, “Asking for advance payment for services is a common, if unfortunate, situation that confronts hospitals all over the United States.”

Claudia Susana for TIME
Sean Recchi
Diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma at age 42. Total cost, in advance, for Sean’s treatment plan and initial doses of chemotherapy: $83,900. Charges for blood and lab tests amounted to more than $15,000; with Medicare, they would have cost a few hundred dollars

The total cost, in advance, for Sean to get his treatment plan and initial doses of chemotherapy was $83,900.
Why?
The first of the 344 lines printed out across eight pages of his hospital bill — filled with indecipherable numerical codes and acronyms — seemed innocuous. But it set the tone for all that followed. It read, “1 ACETAMINOPHE TABS 325 MG.” The charge was only $1.50, but it was for a generic version of a Tylenol pill. You can buy 100 of them on Amazon for $1.49 even without a hospital’s purchasing power.
(In-Depth Video: The Exorbitant Prices of Health Care)
Dozens of midpriced items were embedded with similarly aggressive markups, like $283.00 for a “CHEST, PA AND LAT 71020.” That’s a simple chest X-ray, for which MD Anderson is routinely paid $20.44 when it treats a patient on Medicare, the government health care program for the elderly.
Every time a nurse drew blood, a “ROUTINE VENIPUNCTURE” charge of $36.00 appeared, accompanied by charges of $23 to $78 for each of a dozen or more lab analyses performed on the blood sample. In all, the charges for blood and other lab tests done on Recchi amounted to more than $15,000. Had Recchi been old enough for Medicare, MD Anderson would have been paid a few hundred dollars for all those tests. By law, Medicare’s payments approximate a hospital’s cost of providing a service, including overhead, equipment and salaries.
On the second page of the bill, the markups got bolder. Recchi was charged $13,702 for “1 RITUXIMAB INJ 660 MG.” That’s an injection of 660 mg of a cancer wonder drug called Rituxan. The average price paid by all hospitals for this dose is about $4,000, but MD Anderson probably gets a volume discount that would make its cost $3,000 to $3,500. That means the nonprofit cancer center’s paid-in-advance markup on Recchi’s lifesaving shot would be about 400%.
When I asked MD Anderson to comment on the charges on Recchi’s bill, the cancer center released a written statement that said in part, “The issues related to health care finance are complex for patients, health care providers, payers and government entities alike … MD Anderson’s clinical billing and collection practices are similar to those of other major hospitals and academic medical centers.”
The hospital’s hard-nosed approach pays off. Although it is officially a nonprofit unit of the University of Texas, MD Anderson has revenue that exceeds the cost of the world-class care it provides by so much that its operating profit for the fiscal year 2010, the most recent annual report it filed with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, was $531 million. That’s a profit margin of 26% on revenue of $2.05 billion, an astounding result for such a service-intensive enterprise.1
The president of MD Anderson is paid like someone running a prosperous business. Ronald DePinho’s total compensation last year was $1,845,000. That does not count outside earnings derived from a much publicized waiver he received from the university that, according to the Houston Chronicle, allows him to maintain unspecified “financial ties with his three principal pharmaceutical companies.”
(SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS: Are Medical Bills Too High? Tell Us Here)
DePinho’s salary is nearly two and a half times the $750,000 paid to Francisco Cigarroa, the chancellor of entire University of Texas system, of which MD Anderson is a part. This pay structure is emblematic of American medical economics and is reflected on campuses across the U.S., where the president of a hospital or hospital system associated with a university — whether it’s Texas, Stanford, Duke or Yale — is invariably paid much more than the person in charge of the university.
I got the idea for this article when I was visiting Rice University last year. As I was leaving the campus, which is just outside the central business district of Houston, I noticed a group of glass skyscrapers about a mile away lighting up the evening sky. The scene looked like Dubai. I was looking at the Texas Medical Center, a nearly 1,300-acre, 280-building complex of hospitals and related medical facilities, of which MD Anderson is the lead brand name. Medicine had obviously become a huge business. In fact, of Houston’s top 10 employers, five are hospitals, including MD Anderson with 19,000 employees; three, led by ExxonMobil with 14,000 employees, are energy companies. How did that happen, I wondered. Where’s all that money coming from? And where is it going? I have spent the past seven months trying to find out by analyzing a variety of bills from hospitals like MD Anderson, doctors, drug companies and every other player in the American health care ecosystem.
When you look behind the bills that Sean Recchi and other patients receive, you see nothing rational — no rhyme or reason — about the costs they faced in a marketplace they enter through no choice of their own. The only constant is the sticker shock for the patients who are asked to pay.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
CoolBreeze

Re: MD Anderson's charges

Tens of thousands of cancer patients are successfully treated at places other than MD Anderson.

Nobody has to go there, and they have a right to make money, I think. This doesn't bother me.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
jaykay

This was part of an in-depth piece on healthcare in the U.S. in Time magazine. It's not just MD Anderson, it's many other hospitals.

I do agree they have the right to make a profit but if you have the opportunity to read the entire article, the charges for things like generic Tylenol, blood draws, etc. are jaw-dropping especially when you consider what gets paid under contract from insurance companies and Medicaid/Medicare.

I am lucky to have wonderful healthcare coverage from work, but it is scary to think what I would do without it.

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
'lizbeth

I am bothered by this, ouch. It puts cutting edge treatment beyond the reach of many patients. I feel that family's pain and distress.

What kind of society are we - if the cost of health care is so exorbitant? If the attitude is: well go elsewhere. Is the best treatment just for the wealthiest? The entitled? The lucky?

Personally I'm in the lucky category. My care has been stellar. I have amazing doctors and they've been indulgent about treatments, tests, etc. I got upset over an invoice and the hospital stopped sending them, just covered everything. But I remember receiving a $20,000 statement and the insurance rep told me I was going to be responsible for the entire amount. I sobbed for days. I felt responsible for the financial ruin of my family because I had cancer. It was devastating.

My sister-in-laws chemo was $600,000 and they had to pay 25%. Refinanced the house, then almost lost it. These stories are repeated over and over in millions of families in the US.

Ann, I'm disagreeing with you and I hope you can take a second look. I don't agree with the go elsewhere. It meant a lot to the wife to be at MD Anderson. Those costs of treatment are just exorbitant, and the way the payment was handled makes me cringe. The cost of care is spiraling upward, out of control. To me it is indicative of the entire medical system. When do the providers step back and say we need to scale back on the costs, that we have been affected by greed, and grandiosity? That we have lost sight of our purpose - which is to keep people healthy and well. Should the average family be financially devastated?

Ann, I hope you don't feel I'm picking on you. But I've managed too many companies and in this case profit seems to be affecting values. When a person's life is at stake - and they are truly vulnerable, we, society needs to protect the weak. Extracting healthy profits from the desperate, the dying. How does this speak of us?

I'm not saying to give the care away. But in the US we should be able to have a more compassionate, affordable system that gives equal opportunity to each patient for care.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
jaykay

this is the url to the entire article:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/2...d=hl-main-belt
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Lauriesh

I agree with Ann. This family chose to go there, knowing that they did not take their insurance. I am sure there are several good clinics in ohio that they could have went to. Saying " that it meant a lot for the wife to go there" because her dad went there is not a really compelling reason to go there.

I am in mn, and I m sure there are some people who would love to go to Mayo for treatment, but can't because of ins/ expenses etc. If someone chooses to go there knowing they don't take thier ins, they can't be upset when they get astronomical bills.

Laurie
12 taxol/Herceptin
Year of Herceptin
liver mets- July-2010
7 taxotere/Herceptin
RFA- Feb.2011
NED
U of Wa vaccine trial-oct 2011-Feb 2012
Herceptin/tykerb
Ned - 2 1/2 years
Herceptin & perjeta
Ned 3 years
Herceptin- reducing treatments , due to s/e, to 5-6 a year
NED- 3 1/2 years
Ned - 4 years
2/15- stopped herceptin - on no treatment
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Rolepaul

I was lucky to have good healthcare insurance, a fair amount of financial reserves, and the knowledge that only the best healthcare would save my life. MD Anderson did just that. Nina is alive and has no evidence of disease because MD Anderson was there. We had $600,000 in treatment in 2012 and paid $7500 plus travel expenses. Nina was not given 90 days and now we are looking at another 25 years of life. How much is that worth? That is something each person must ask of themselves. Nina would have been dead at Christmas 2009 without the care that happened then. What is the right amount to pay, for me it was everything, but others would second guess me.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
'lizbeth

You are very fortunate Rolepaul. If you had not been well insured with financial reserves, how tragic it would have been with only 90 days with your Nina. So happy for you for the extended years.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 03-07-2013 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: typo
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Lauriesh

I guess I don't expect sympathy from others. I am stage 4, and while I would love to go to md Anderson or sloan, I can't because my ins wouldn't cover it. I also would like to to go to the Block center in Chicago or to a naturopath , but can't because we can't afford it.
I would never ask my family to go into debt in order for me to do this either.

I go to a local onc clinic that is in network for my ins because that is what we can afford to do.

While it would be wonderful if every cancer patient could go to the top cancer treatment facility in the country, that is not realistic. I am more concerned about women who have no ins. and can't get basic coverage than those who can't go where they want because of restrictions on their ins.

Laurie
12 taxol/Herceptin
Year of Herceptin
liver mets- July-2010
7 taxotere/Herceptin
RFA- Feb.2011
NED
U of Wa vaccine trial-oct 2011-Feb 2012
Herceptin/tykerb
Ned - 2 1/2 years
Herceptin & perjeta
Ned 3 years
Herceptin- reducing treatments , due to s/e, to 5-6 a year
NED- 3 1/2 years
Ned - 4 years
2/15- stopped herceptin - on no treatment
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
jacqueline1102

Hello all,

I have an interesting story to tell. The cancer care center, where I receive treatment, recently went through a rather extensive accreditation process to have MD Anderson added to the name. Check out the website: MD Anderson Community Cancer Care, Indianapolis, Indiana. Here is the interesting piece. My treatment will not change one bit. My physicians will not change one bit. The cancer care center may now have the MD Anderson label but nothing really changes. Because I work in health care I have some understanding of what this really means. Cancer care is big business and the cancer care centers are all in competition. I was told that I would have access to clinical trials perhaps more quickly but that nothing really changes.

The nurses told me that because MD Anderson is now attached to the name, patients are coming in droves within the state and in the midwest. Which is good for them. What this means for me is that my infusion times went from what used to be 3 hours max turned into 6 hours last night. I am not complaining because I am happy to have insurance through my work. And herceptin and perjeta are doing the job so far. I was just finding this a fascinating conversation.

Oh, one more thing. There are some awesome commercials and billboards now throughout the city praising the merger. I wonder how much that cost?

Hope that makes sense,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
sarah

Interesting discussion. I just thought that a university affiliated hospital would be less expensive.
Did you notice that the health insurance companies pay 5 times what arms dealers pay in lobbying. Why?
I just hope everyone finds a way to get the care they need to stay alive; healthcare shouldn't be a luxury. I say that as a doctor's daughter. Why does the US pay more for drugs than Canada, the UK and Europe pays? and why did the Congress make it a law that Medicare can't negotiate the prices!!! a law! Think how much Medicare could save if it could negotiate the price it pays like everywhere else in the world.
Those who lose their jobs at 55 yrs have trouble finding new jobs and keeping up with their insurance.
Maybe those of you who know of great low cost or free clinics for cancer treatment could make a list of them, that way if there are members with financial problems, they would have a solution at hand, what do you think?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Jackie07

More than fifteen years ago, the mother of two sisters (and their families) in our church was told by our local hospital (a big general hospital with over 500 beds) I've used for over 20 years that she'd only had six months to live due to stage 4 lung cancer. Her children took her to MD Anderson (for a consult?) and then received treatment in the local hospital following the advice they'd received from MD Anderson.

She lived more than 4 years past the original 'expiration' day given by the oncologist in our local hospital.

With Internet and other telecommunication devices, it seems that all cancer patients can receive good treatment locally (except expensive equitment such as Gamma-knife which my hospital had a contract with a GKRS center less than 150 miles away when I had my GKRS in 2001)

Being a world leader in cancer treatment, MD Anderson has to put in certain policy/prodedure to deal with the hundreds/thousands of requests/referrals they're receiving everyday.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 03-08-2013 at 09:47 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
evergreen

I am so relieved to live in Canada. With our health insurance paid for by everyone's taxes, no-one need worry about being denied care because of financial issues. Of course we pay for it with our taxes, but just like house insurance, everyone shares the cost so that those who need support, will get it. Whether you are employed or not. No matter your age, address, economic status, marital status, or medical history. Sure, we have some waits for some non-urgent surgeries. But that means operating rooms are available to give timely service to folks such as myself, with an aggressive cancer. I urge you to support the U.S. move to what you call "Obamacare".
Eating foods thought to fight cancer, exercising every other day,using my garden as my mecca of peace, and loving my supportive husband more than ever.
evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
sassy

Here is a link to our resources page that lists some possible sources of financial assistance.

http://her2support.org/resources/financial-legal
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #15
sarah

Great Sassy. I hope this is also a special page people can find easily.
Like Evergreen, I'm glad I live where cost doesn't enter the picture (France). We pay a social tax that covers everyone, even visitors who fall ill while in the country. The French are extremely proud of their system and having had to test it out personally for cancer and heart problems, it seems great to me.
MD Anderson certainly seems to do a great job and is at the forefront of health. I hope they do open their doors also to some of those who can't avoid them.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #16
sassy

Just click on tHe link,
Or copy and paste the line into your address bar,
Or go to our home page and you will find the listing for Resources across the top listings on the page. Select the drop down to see financial resources.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
sarah

Thanks Sassy. great to know. Obviously I don't need it where I live but I know it could be useful to people in the States so thanks for this.
stay well
sarah