HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #21
Sherryg683

Koolmom, if your nodules didn't show up on the PET, I wouldn't worry too much about them, I would definately follow up on them but don't jump to conclusions yet. I have had lung nodules come and go on my scans in the last few years that were not and have never amounted to anything. I have learned that it is normal to have such nodules, they can be due to environmental factors, respiratory infections, etc...not all are cancer. I think mine were work related, from breathing paint fumes for years. I have had 3 that have been there all along and have never changed. My normal radiologist that reads my scans knows this and doesn't make a big deal of it. Today I got my scans back and it was a different guy who read my scans, he noted the nodules and stated that "although they were not PET avid, they may be too small and could be metastatic, watch closely". When I questioned my oncologist about this, he told me that theses were the same nodules that I've had for 3 years that were nothing and that this was just the report of a radiologist making sure he was covering his butt from a lawsuit. If there is any doubt or any suspicions, they have to note that it may be metastatic...that's a big MAY. The two nodules that I had that did light up for cancer when I was diagnosed were very very small, they weren't much if any bigger than yours. PETS are very sensitive and can detect very small cancers. They also have a very high false positive rate and can light up for other reasons. I am still hoping that that is what happened on my original diagnosis. My mets were too small to biopsy, so we just treated them as cancer. So there is always that doubt in my mind about whether, they were actually cancer or not. Since my original diagosis, I have had 3 incidences of the PET lighting up and it being false positive, ..twice in my breast and once in my ovary. It's very scary but I have come to the conclusion that before I get back on any form of chemotherapy, I will make sure I have a biopsy, that's the only way to be absolutely sure. If you could post your history that would help, are you just beginning chemo or do you have a history of other mets....sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #22
DonnaD

Koolmom,
Wishing you well with Herceptin. I have not taken CoQ10 but heard it works. Also exerise, but don't exercise a day before your muga.

I had a similar experience last year at this time. I had a CT done because of a fractured rib. It showed to small spots like yours in the lungs. After reviewing all results my onc, and rad. onc felt it was from radiation since they were in the radiated area. The CT was repeated 3 month later with nothing new. 9 months later and all is the same. I am now relaxing and feel it is from radiaiton.

Keep us informed of your progress and news about the trial you are beginning. Do you know if it is being offered anywhere else.

Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote