HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
MJo

Discovery Channel - Living With Cancer

Did anyone see the three-hour program last night (Sunday) on living with cancer. Lance Armstrong, Leroy Seivers and Elizabeth Armstrong were on the show. I was interested in the technique of cancer ablation that killed Sievers lung cancer tumors. Has anyone on this board ever discussed cancer ablation with their doctor?

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
KellyA

Hey there!

I did see the program last night. I was curious about that procedure also- haven't heard of it. What did you think about the show overall?

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Sheila

I watched it too. I like the point of going where the most technology is for your treatment....it hit home for me. Also the fact that the more money, the better opportunity for treatment...only in America .....that needs to be changed. But it is like that for everything in the medical industry.

It is supposed to be on again tonight at 8 central on the discovery channel/

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
lightsteve

i have seen discussion about RAF as applied to liver tumors that are mets from BC. this link discusses what RAF is, very briefly.

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/general/rfa/rita.html

i know there can be complications due to the location of the tumor that sometimes make RAF inappropriate, but for others have heard it is a pretty easy process.

steve
RT Mastectomy
4 cm lobular 1+node ER-/PR- Her2+
chemo 2004:
4 cycles AC
4 cycles Taxol
herceptin 2004-2005
june 06 stage IV: lung, bones
weekly taxol
1/3wk herceptin
Oct/November 06: new primary left breast
ductal 4cm+
mastectomy
lightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Lolly

Yes, great program! I couldn't quite stay awake for the whole thing, but recommend it.
BTW, it's Elizabeth Edwards as the third guest.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile I saw the program last nite

and just connected so much with what they were saying. Everything that they said just mirrored what I always think or say. I guess you have to be going through it yourself to truly understand what goes through a person's mind.

I have had Radio Frequency Abalation to my liver and was very curious about this doctor at John Hopkins. I was trying to find his name on site today but could not. I am interested in talking to them to see if it is possible to abalate the tumor that I have in my nodes. My surgeon at Moffitt told me it was not because it is now systemic and I am not really sure about the area where they are. I would like to speak to someone else to get their opinion.

If anyone can remember the name of that doctor, will you pass on to me. I did record the show, so maybe I can get more info once I watch again.

I was amazed at how Leroy is now stable and hopefully something else will come along for him.

If you did not see last nites show, I think it worthwhile catching it tonite.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
RobinP

Thanks, Irene, for recommending the show. I will tune in tonight.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
Joe
Webmaster

The following is an email exchange with a prominent RFA physician. I deleted his name but will supply it to those who request it.

RFA - Lung Tumors

Dear Dr.
I am the webmaster for the HER2 Support Group . Our organization is composed of breast cancer patients diagnosed with HER2 breast cancer. Several members have had RFA for metastasis to the liver with excellent success.

Tonight on a Discovery Channel program on Living With Cancer, I was surprised to see that RFA is being used to treat tumors on the lungs. Have you ever treated metastatic lung tumors? We have several members diagnosed with them and wish to advise if this is an effective alternative treatment.

Joe,
I have ablated breast cancer metastases before with some success. I believe there are a subset of breast cancer patients that have just a few spots of disease ( e,.g oligonodular mestastases) either in liver or lung or both that benefit from local therapy such as ablation or stereotactic radiotherapy. I have enclosed a paper on lung RFA from our institution. Lung RFA will be featured on a PBS series Healthy Mind Healthy Body in late June and early July. I will be prominently featured on the piece.
Best regards
Damian

Paper on Lung Tumors:

www.her2support.org/rfa.pdf

Warmest Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Chelee

Irene, I am not sure if I have the spelling right...but I think that doctors last name was; "Georgitis". Maybe you could google it and see if it comes up? I am not sure if that helps...but I tried.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
momdeeco

Does anyone know if the show will be aired again?
STAGE 1 HIGH RISK
1.1 CM/NODE NEG
ER-/PR- HER 2 +++ GRADE 3
12/05 PARTIAL MASTECTOMY
1/06 CHEMO AC DD X 6
5/06 RADS X 30
10/06 STARTED HERCEPTIN AFTER 3RD OPINION
3/07 GENETIC TESTING-GENE VARIANT FOR BRCA 1 AND 2
3/07 STOPPED HERCPTIN DUE TO LOW EF
BSO 8/08 (P53 SIGNATURE--PRECANCEROUS CELLS)
11/08---IN A STUDY/MRI EVERY 6 MONTHS/MAMMO EVERY YEAR
momdeeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
Karen Weixel

I think it is suppose to air again tonight.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
Mary Jo

Thank you Irene for recommending the show to us. Me and my husband watched it last evening. We DVR'd it. It was really good and if nothing else teaches us all something. And that is................cancer is so unpredictable............giving time tables to us shouldn't be.............one never knows. My gosh, I was flabbergasted at Leroy's story. Who ever would have thought his tumors would be gone. Amazing and show's that only one person is in control. God! He'll lead us down the road and what will be will be. A wonderful story and I think we cancer folks are some lucky individuals. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I do. Cancer has taught us so much - brought us together with some wonderful people and teaches us more about life than anything else. Don't get me wrong - would I have volunteered for this almost 2 years back. NO WAY!!!!!!!!! But it's the path I was put on and it has been a rewarding, teachable journey for me. I've been blessed in so many ways since cancer and enjoy life more than ever.

Love to all my her2 friends,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
AlaskaAngel

Reality.... pro and con...

I have been listening to Leroy's commentaries for quite a while, both on NPR in the mornings and on his blog, and I have gotten quite a bit out of it as he has such a marvelous straightforwrd way with words.

I don't identify at all with Lance's feelings much, but I do think it is possible that exercise, especially consistent exercise, keeps the toxins flushed out of the body so that circulating tumor cells don't get the chance to really attach and grow somewhere, and maybe that is why he stays so cancer-free.

I felt closer to the lovely woman with pancreatic cancer, maybe because she is not a celebrity but more like most of us, and I was very glad they included her in the program.

I was really looking forward to seeing the third hour where Elizabeth would speak... and that was when the power went out here. So... can anyone tell me what they got from the third hour?

It was unfortunate that the program showed only people who were not diagnosed early, and didn't show people who have chosen not to do chemotherapy at all. That implied that everyone with cancer does have chemo, as if there is no other sane choice. (Those interviewed were not people diagnosed in the early stages.) Hopefully they provided more balance in the last hour of the program? Did they ever interview anyone who was diagnosed in the early stage of cancer or who had never done chemo?

I also was left feeling that by not interviewing or showing people and families who are coping with the more difficult terminal stages of cancer, the program was sort of out of touch, even if it was more hopeful. I know this is being blunt but maybe they need to do a sequel called Dying With Cancer.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
MJo

Name of Doctor for Irene

Dr. Christos Georgiades is an Assistant Professor of Radiology & Surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Prior to following a career in medicine, Dr. Georgiades earned a Bachelor’s in Engineering from the University of Texas and also a Master’s and a Ph.D. degree in Radiological Sciences from the University of California. He earned his M.D. degree from Boston University in 1997. He then completed a year of Internal Medicine training at Beth Israel-Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard School of Medicine. He received his Diagnostic Radiology and Interventional Radiology training at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Dr. Georgiades practices in all areas of vascular & interventional radiology including vascular, oncologic and gynecologic interventions. His specific clinical and research interests include oncologic interventions, i.e. liver chemoembolization, radiofrequency ablation and the development of new delivery methods for anti-cancer drugs

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #15
Brian

Ablation

Just to let you know, my wife, Lisa, has had two ablation treatments to tumors in her liver. Both have been quite successful. The first was done in 2003 and her liver remained clean for 2.5 years when some of the spots that had been previously ablated cam to life again. She went through the procedure a second time in 2005 and her liver has been clean ever since.

We had the procedure done at the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital liver transplant unit in Pittsburgh. The procedure was performed by Dr. David Geller. He was a wonderful, capable and proficient surgeon. I would recommend this procedure to anyone, as the tumors are completely destroyed by the procedure.

Lisa also had a large lung tumor which initially disappeared with Herceptin treatments. The old scar tissue relit with cancer and the tumor was removed surgically. During that time we discussed ablation with Dr. James Luketich who did Lisa's lung surgery. Dr. Luketich does this procedure and I understand is a nationally known lung surgeon. He also uses the Cyber Knife on lung tumors, which is a procedure similar to the gamma knife, but only for soft tissue. Targets are planted in the tumor and the radiation is directed specifically to the tumor.

Hope this is helpful.
Good Luck and God Bless
Brian and Lisa
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
Alice

Question

I wasn't able to watch the broadcasts but would like to see them. If anyone knows if they will be on again please let us know. I was thinking they might be available on line?
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:08 AM   #17
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile To Mjo

Thank you so much for all of that info on Dr. Georgiadis (sp)

Although mine is not in the long, I thought I might check to see if it were possible for me.

Thanks again and have a great day.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote