HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
Sherryg683

Her2+ and Hereditary

I have a friend that is also Her2++. Like me she is also E/P- She said her oncologist said that this type of Cancer is not hereditary. Do you know if this is true. I thought all types could be passed down. I am very worried for my little girl..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
kristen

Sherry,

Her2 is not hereditary...as far as they know. We all carry the oncogene her 2 in our body and for some reason ours goes crazy and starts multiplying and gets cancer. This is at least what my genetics counselor told me. Now they can account for 74% of the DNA BRCA gene, but they don't know what is in the other 16%. It wouldn't surprise me at all in the years ahead if they find something in that gene that is a trigger for her2. But then again I am no geneticist. If you ever get a BRCA test done they can tell you if you are BRCA 1 or 2 or non-specific. You could have the test and if it still comes back non-specific you would be in a higher classification of risk, but they cannot identify "it". They had a pie chart, take it into 3 sections and BRCA 1 is a certain % and 2=% and non specific=16%.
AS far as cancer being hereditary, I think yes, if it runs in your family, they take down your family tree. The more cancer they see at a younger age the more likely you are at risk but not necessarily going to get it. As people age they are more likely to get cancer, but that is just a percentage that goes with age.
Google or go to Pub Med or go to www.facingourrisk.com and look up her2+ and BRCA+ and you would be surprised, not all, but I think the majority or them tested that are Her 2 + are BRCA -. I haven't been on that site in a long time, so it might have changed but I think I even recall a report I read about that somewhere.
As far as your little girl goes, you could talk with a genetics couselor and see what % of risk she would be at with your family history. You could have the test done and see if you carry the BRCA gene. If you do, your daugher has a 50% chance of carrying the gene since she gets 50 from you and 50 from her father, but that is the only gene they can test for breast cancer being hereditary and only 10% of the women are. Remember, being born a woman is the only common denominator for getting BC. One in 7 gets it? I too worry for my little girl.
The test is $3,000 and your daughter is going to be a slightly higher risk already because you had the disease. She will probably start getting checked earlier and I am sure you will tell her about SBE. How old is your daughter? They don't test children and say not to tell a child until later on in life if you carry the gene.
It's a very complicated question, one I am in no position to advise, if you are truely worried about it, I would seek out a genetics counselor and have them research you family tree and assess your cancer %. Myraid is the company who does the genetics test, you can visit there website also. Hope this helps.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote