HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
*_IRENE FROM TAMPA_*

I was listening to an interview with Larry King and Tammy Faye Baker last night regarding her latest cancer recurrence. She mentioned that she is going to start taking a pill that will stop the blood supply to the cancer tumor? She did not know the name of it but said it is new and that our doctors should know about it if we ask.

Has anyone heard of such a pill?

Irene
Old 07-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
Tom

Hi Irene. I'm not sure if this is the one that tammy Faye talked about, but there is an orally administered angiogenesis inhibitor being used in Phase III clinical trials, that is made by Schering. It is known as PTK787/ZK 222584.
PTK787/ZK 222584 is a novel oral angiogenesis inhibitor that potently inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptor tyrosine kinases, important enzymes in the formation of new blood vessels that contribute to tumor growth and metastasis.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Tom

Hi Irene. I'm not sure if this is the one that Tammy Faye talked about, but there is an orally administered angiogenesis inhibitor being used in Phase III clinical trials, that is made by Schering. It is known as PTK787/ZK 222584.
PTK787/ZK 222584 is a novel oral angiogenesis inhibitor that potently inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptor tyrosine kinases, important enzymes in the formation of new blood vessels that contribute to tumor growth and metastasis.
I believe that this drug is very similar in action to Genentech's experimental drug lapatinib, that we all think is so promising, particularly for the treatment of refractory HER2/neu breast cancer. This is HER2/neu that has progressed after Herceptin therapy.

Tom
Old 07-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #4
monaame

I've been reading up on a new clinical trial using herceptin and Avastin. The effects you describe could be linked to Avastin. Hope this helps.