HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
*_jeff_*

Hello all,

In the wake of the recent news about the ability of oleic acid (the main consitutent of olive oil) to suppress her2 overexpression, I've been reading and reading about essential fatty acids (omega 3 and 6) and omega 9 (like oleic acid) and learned a lot. The evidence on omega 6's (like GLA, CLA, etc.) is complicated and basically it seems that women with or at risk for bc should make sure to balance omega 3 and 6. In all the searching I couldn't find any supplement that did so, along with a good amount of oleic acid.

Until I came across this. They sell capsules of what they call "pharmaceutical grade" olive oil in a few different formulations. It looks good and I've just ordered some for Rachel...

http://www.oleomedamerica.com/

Best,
Jeff
Old 02-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
lolam

HOLY COW! How did you find that????????
That is sooooooo cool. That is just perfect for all of us!!!
Thanks, Lola
Old 02-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Audrey

Thanks, Jeff! I appreciate your research on this and enjoyed the cool website. I will be adding more olive oil to my diet immediately... Audrey
Old 02-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #4

How are these capsules different than just putting a TB on salad every day?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
*_jeff_*

That's a great question and I'd love to hear what other people say because I'm not sure I have a great answer.

But I will say a couple of things.

--When you buy olive oil there is no easy way to tell what concentration of oleic acid it will have. It helps some to buy a bottle that's labelled "Extra Virgin" because than it's supposed to be unfiltered, cold-pressed and all that. But make sure you also get it in a dark bottle, because otherwise it can degrade pretty quickly. From the website I posted it looks like this company has a pretty rigorous standardization process

--For some people it will be easier to just throw back a few capsules each day rather than figuring out how to add a tablespoon of olive oil to a meal.

But honestly, I don't know.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2005, 07:23 AM   #6
Cindi

Jeff,

Did you order the Pharmaceutical Grade Formula or the Antioxidant formula? I am unsure which to order.

Thanks for doing the research. This is awesome!

Cindi.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #7
*_jeff_*

There's a whole bunch of different "formulas" but I just ordered the straight up pharmaceutical grade because Rachel is getting those other supplements already...

Just watch out, if you're er+ because some of the other formulas lower down have things in them like Black Cohosh, that are known to be estrogenic...

Best,
Jeff