HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
*_julie_*

I am stage3, her2 +++ and currently on neoadjuvant chemo with AC+ Taxol. My blood work this week shows an elevated phospatase level of 143. Normal is 20-125. I am worried that this may be an indication that there is problem with liver or bone. Anybody had any experience like this while on chemo.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
Barbara

Julie:

Are you also on Neulasta. During my chemo the alkaline phosphatase went up to 199 and both liver enzymes went up with the ALT reaching 121 when normal is 2-46. This was caused by the Neulasta and one month after chemo all were normal close to normal and two months all was great. There was a study where 29 patients experienced the same problem as I did. Yes, these elevations could have been mets and my oncologist ran a PET scan, liver and bone scans to rule out mets and that was the right thing to do not knowing what the cause at the time.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
al from canada

Dear Julie,
Your ALK Phos. levels are just an indicator or cellular damage but a very poor indicator of what cells. Any peripheral damage caused by chemo could elevate ALK Phos. levels. As well, 143 is very close to the 10% margin of error. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Take care,
Al
Old 12-22-2004, 06:17 PM   #4
Barbara

Julie:

I forgot to add that my CA 27-29 also went up following the elevation of the alkaline Phosphatase and liver enzymes. It also returned to normal a month or six weeks after the liver enzymes came down. My oncologist knew I was very worried and did the scans for my peace of mind as much as anything.

I hope all comes out well for you as well.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
al from canada

Julie,
Barbara has a point about Neulastia, it raises ALK Phos. We also had that happen except it was on Neupogen.
Al
Old 12-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
Lyn

Hi I have always had elevated Alkaline Phospate Levels, it always shows up in red letters, 160 at one stage and this was years before cancer, I am talking around 16 years, I have been abnormal, it seems that I have always had a connective tissue disorder which causes inflammation in the joints and a million other symptoms, now diagnosed as Sjrogens, I have never seen mine in the normal section but it has never had anything to do with cancer or treatment with me. It never hurts to be certain though so if you can have scans and tests done do it, because the stress of not knowing can make everything go out of whack.

Love & Hugs Lyn