HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
*_Kansasrose_*

Hello all. Long time no see. I am now 9 mos. past last herceptin treatment. Was stage 3, very advanced, her2positive, er negative, 15/17 nodes positve. Had left mastectomy. Have been treated for moderate lymphedema, so wear a sleever daily. But, one thing I've noticed is the puffiness in my face, and my ankles. It isn't all of the time. It subsides, if I prop up my feet. The swelling is there most of the time. I have really bad pain in both feet after sitting for a long time. But, once I get to moving around, I loosen up a bit. I wonder if it is time for a new scan? I also sleep with a cpap machine due to severe sleep apnea. I thought the swelling in my face was from the mask I wear, but I almost wonder if it is a by product of all of the treatment? I see a real difference in energy level. I have more energy, but, once I am 'done' I really am done. When I wear out, forget it. I'm a goner.

I am not sure what I am writing to you ladies about. I guess I am beginning to worry. Am I ok? I know my doctor would approve a scan, just for my sanity. But, I am afraid. What if it has returned? I am now a widow, having lost my husband a year ago.

Thanks for listening!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
michele u

Rose,
The aches and pains are very common after Taxol treatment. I take you had that also. It took me about 6 months after to get pain free. Now i'm having the pains in my feet and hands in the morning again after my vaccine trial. Once i get up and move around it gets better. This "syndrome" after Taxol can last up to a year. It does get better.
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
Lisa

Rose,

SO good to hear from you. Dear friend, after the hell you've been through, surely you wouldn't be scared of a little 'ole scan? How often is your onc scanning you now?

You're a fighter. You're a survivor. And chances are, you're clean. But if you aren't, just take a deep breath, and jump back into the fight.

A neighbor of mine lost her husband a year ago also, although under much different conditions. She is still having a very rough time, but her 13 year old daughter is coping pretty well. I think of you each time I talk to her and pray that you and your kids are doing O.K.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 09-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Rozebud

Dear Rose....how are you? How are your children?

Rose from KS #2
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
*_Cathy_*

Hi- I also wear a sleeve for lymphedema. Besides my arm, my neck, chest wall and back are a little swelled. I found a great physical therapist who massaged my neck, arm, etc. -first he massaged my right side to get it ready for the fluid that would be coming over from the left. He explained it like a traffic jam and that he had to make room for what would be coming from the other side. Well, it worked great. My neck is still a little swelled because of the heavy prosthesis I wear in my bra. He told me to get a more lightweight one. Hope you feel better. God Bless You- Cathy
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
al from canada

Dear KansasR,

Sometime certain drugs, especially steriods can cause facial and ankle swelling. Prednisone is notorious for that! Certain heart conditions can result in the same.

Regards,
Al
Also, are you on herceptin? If so, when was your last muga?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
*_Kansasrose_*

Hello. I'm doing ok. Thanks for asking, rose! My hear breaks for the people in LA and MS. I went ahead and made an appointment with my oncologist and will be honest about the fatigue and pain. I suspect it will be from weight gain, or, arthritus, or diabetes. I just don't look the same. I am not sure what that is all about, but, it's like my body has 'fallen' all at once, I look so droopy.

I had herceptin for one year, every week. I had this swelling, too, during herceptin. Don't know of it is just my body reacting to all of the stress in my life, or what. But, my late husband wouldn't recognize me.

I hope all of you are ok tonight. Thank god for medical care, food and shelter. I am so blessed to have all 3.