HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
*_Kim in CA_*

Hi All,

Just wanted to report that all went smoothly with my Gamma Knife procedure on Friday. The MRI they did the day of treatment showed only the one lesion still, but that it had grown another 3mm since July 12th. Still I consider myself so very lucky to have found it while it was so small(11mm) and easily treated.

Now I just have to distract myself for the next 3 months while I wait for the follow up MRI!

My best to you all,

Kim
Old 08-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Sandy H.

I am so happy to hear it went well. Time will go fast and I am sure you will have a good report on your next MRI. You are lucky to have found it early. Hugs, Sandy
Old 08-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #3
triciak

I am so happy for you, Kim! I agree with Sandy that the time will go quickly before the next MRI. Think positive thoughts and always expect a miracle ! Best wishes, Tricia
Old 08-14-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
Lisa

Excellent news! Nice weather for "distracting" yourself!

Love and light,'

Lisa
Old 08-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
Lolly

Kim, thanks for the report, and I'm so glad to hear everything went well. Think of the next three months as a vacation of sorts, your job is to eat well, rest well and live well!

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Kristin

Great news. I'm so glad to hear things went so easily. My mom may need to have this done soon also, she has a new 1cm spot on her brain. She is so nervous though from them putting the screws in her head. Any descriptions of the proceedure would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kristin
Old 08-15-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
StephN

Kim -
Great news that you sailed through your Gamma Knife! The procedure was also the easier part for me - the Decadron being the worst part!

You will do well, I am sure. There are some studies you could look up that show that most mets that go to the brain are successfully treated with Gamma Knife. The thing we all tend to worry about to varying degrees is the idea that MORE will appear. I have had 2 clear followup scans, so am getting pretty comfortable with them. I have my next one the end of Sept.

The farther away from the procedure you get, the better you will feel. Other things in life just push this worry to the background. Try to concentrate on TODAY and what you are trying to accomplish right now. This also helps to take away the nervous feeling about the brain mets.

Kristen -
I posted some very detailed accounts of what my Gamma Knife was like in mid - Jan. With photos as well. You should be able to pull them up by using my screen name and Gamma Knife.
Your Mom has a small met and this should be just fine after treatment.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
*_Kim in CA_*

To Steph and all the my other "Cyber Sisters",

Thanks for all the encouragement and support. As I have said many times, this board has been my main source of information and support during my BC battle. It is the only place I know where I can ask anything, anytime, and get the best information anywhere! There is such an enormous amount of strenght I get from all of you, just knowing you are there!

Steph, you are so right. Just focus on today. Something I need to remind myself of now and then! Life is good!

Love, Kim
Old 08-17-2005, 10:28 AM   #9
*_Kim in CA_*

Dear Kristin,

Tell your Mom not to fret too much about the attachment of the head frame, if she has Gamma Knife. I was very anxious too, but it was not so bad. I couldn't really feel the screws go in, just felt pressure. They gave me an injection of a numbing agent where each screw would go, and the injection, to me was the most painful part. I have to say though, that it didn't hurt me as much as the first vaccination I got at the University of WA vaccine trial! I never have liked needles much though!

Kim