HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
*_Julie_*

I am having a difficult time now a days regretting and thinking too much for not getting the most aggressive treatment,especially after the Herceptin clinical trial news.

I am 37 with two small children. As you all know I was diagnosed in Sep 04, 4.8cm tumor,4 auxillary nodes positive and also some supraclavicular node involvment. Stage3b.

I got neoadjuvant dosedence AC and Taxol. At that time I requested my onc to give me Hercptin along with Taxol but he said he can't give it immedialty after AC because of Cardiac toxicity.

After the Surgery the tumor is allgone except DCIS of 4.8cm and some residual cancer in lymph nodes and extensive angiolymphatic invasion. My onc decided to give me Xeloda and Herceptin after surgery.

I just accepted it feeling happy that atleast he was giving Herceptin.
Now after the clinical trials I am so repenting that I should have really pushed my onc to give atleast the more synergetic chemo with Herceptin instead of Xeloda, becuase I am hearing that xeloda is not so popular with Herceptin. I finished my xeloda two weeks ago and continuing Hercptin for a year.

I am thinking may be I should go for a 2nd opinion to ask if they can give some more chemo with Navelbine or taxol along with Herceptin.

Thaks for any input.
Julie
Old 05-25-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
joy

Hi Julie, in 2002 I did xeloda, taxotere and herceptin all together for a year. It proved to be a good combo for kicking the tumors and i managed okay on all of it. I've continued the herceptin ever since and side-effect-wise-no problems. Remember regrets take a lot of energy away from your healing needs. Good luck with all of this.
Love, Joy
Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
jojo

Hi Julie,

I am not there yet, but my onc has been talking about possibly putting me on Xeloda AND Herceptin soon.

(However, she did say she would want for me to quit hormonal therpy, if on Xeloda & Herceptin. I am currently on Aromasin. According to my onc's clinc, studies have indicated there was poor synergy between hormonals and chemo. I have heard that in the past others took hormonals & chemo simultaneously. I am just as clueless as you are! And very confused.)

I think your treatment sounds pretty aggressive. But as Joy said, regrets DO drain your energy as well as spirits! What has done HAS done... Do not obsess over your past. Focus on what you CAN do in the future!!

This is really TOUGH business, I know. Probably the most crappiest deal ever! :-(

Sending BEST wishes your way! :-)
Old 05-26-2005, 05:46 AM   #4

JoJo and Julie
I am on Herceptin alone right now but if the lymph nodes in my neck reappear, which is probable, my onc. said she would use Xeloda and Herceptin...she feels the work well together.
Hugs
Sheila