HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2005, 04:44 AM   #1
*_IRENE FROM TAMPA_*

I could use some feedback from my "sisters/brothers" today -

I have just rescanned and had tumor markers taken. My CEA rose from 1.2 last month to 4.2 this month and my 15-3 remained at 35. All within normal range but I am pretty sensitive to the CEA (which I think jumped quite a bit in one month.

My MRI of the abdomen was clean three weeks ago (and my liver has grown back entirely since my resection last July) This very good. My CT was clean but the PET I just had done on Friday lit up a very small area somewhere behind the Pancreas to the back wall of abdomen. (a lymph node I believe) My onc. thinks we should wait for at least another month to recheck markers/scans since there was not anything showing up on the other scans. I am uncomfortable since I usually know something is brewing when my markers start to edge up -

We are scheduled to go on a 7 day Caribbean cruise on May 22 (long awaited vacation since I have had surgeries every year for the last two years.

The doctor feels I should just wait until we return from our trip to do any other scans or markers. He feels the 6 weeks wait will not really change the outcome and I should just go on the cruise and enjoy myself.
I tend to agree but then I get nervous and think maybe I should at the least have my markers recheck in a couple of weeks to see what is happening . I have to decide which way to go since I do not want to go on this cruise once starting any chemo. I guess I am looking for clear answer to all of this and there really is none.

Do you all feel a six week wait is too long to wait? Either way, I am sure it will be on my mind.

Thanks all - Irene
Old 04-20-2005, 06:51 AM   #2
kk1

Hi Irene;

Sorry you have to face the anxiety again but you deserve a vacation! As your doctor said not much will happen either way in six weeks. Just thinking about the cruise will help distract you for the next month, and then you are going to have such a good time that you won't even be thinking about future scans or markers. You should give yourself a reward after the last two years. go for it!

ps. what ship and are you doing the eastern or western Carribean?

kk1
Old 04-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Lisa

Cruise, girlfriend, cruise.

If it IS a lymph node, that's not necessarily bad news. I've just been treated for lymph nodes in the same area. And I found out that lymph nodes "heal" through chemo much more readily than "solid" organs.

I can hear that ship's whistle now!

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 04-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #4

Cruise Cruise Cruise Cruise Cruise Cruise Cruise Cruise Cruise Cruise
Enviously yours,
Al
Old 04-20-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Lolly

I'm with the others, CRUISE! I have lymph nodes that enlarge and then settle down again, so I don't get too alarmed about them anymore, even when they show up on scans. Trust your onc's judgement, and go have a great vacation!!!

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
Sheila

Irene
Go on the cruise.....relax and enjoy yourself...you deserve it.....try not to worry and enjoy the warmth in the sun, the cool ocean breeze and the view....I am so envious!!!
Hugs
Sheila
Old 04-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
*_celina_*

Cruise...need I say more???
Old 04-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
Carolyn

I agree with everyone else. You deserve a vacation, go on the Cruise and enjoy every minute of it !
Your Onc sounds like a wise man.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #9
Cindy H.

Just returned from a week in Paris....my onc said he would scan me next week...no matter what the outcome my husband and I had a glorious week in Paris. He didn't want to scan me before our vacation because he wanted me to have a good time. He says make hay while you can...travel...LIVE!!!!