HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
*_Judy_*

Hi All,

How did you all find out about your cancer recurring? Was it through routine scans, tumor markers, or through symptoms?

My onc is only doing tumor markers and I am disappointed that we are not doing proactive scans.

Thanks

Judy
Old 04-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Shell

I think it would depend somewhat at what stage was w/ the original diagnosis. I am stage 3, and finished treatment in Jan 04. I was seen quarterly by either the surgeon or the oncologist. However, I felt a change in my lymph nodes on my own last fall, and saw the team then. It was a reoccurrence, and I had surgery, and am finishing up w/ taxotere and herceptin (and then I will just receive the herceptin).

I got a second opinion at the reoccurrence, and that doctor also told me it is often the patient who notices the change, oftentimes before any scheduled test would pick it up... It's a fine line for me to believe I'm cured, but to be vigilant about body changes...
Old 04-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
*_Peggy_*

My lung mets showed up on a routine x-ray I had done about 3 months after I finished my radiation.

It was a real shock for everybody.

Peggy in Florida
Old 04-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Lolly

I was Stage IIIB when dx, so had quarterly follow-ups with tumor markers done, and scans to be ordered as needed to address any concerns. My first recurrence started between appts, I noticed symptoms which I thought were complications from a cold and saw my Primary Care who alerted my onc who called me in and ordered scans...Lesson Learned: be alert to your symptoms and ask for additional scans if anything seems out of the ordinary, even if you feel you're being an alarmist!

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Sheila

Judy
I found my recurrence on my own...in the lymph nodes in my neck....you have to be your own best advocate, and if you are stage 2,3, or 4, I would demand the scans at least yearly.
Hugs
Sheila
Old 04-20-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
san

I found out I had a recurrence when I went in for a mammogram. We were planning for a mastectomy and reconstruction, so had a chest x-ray. Found out it had metastasized to my lung. I had no symptoms at all. I was in a state of shock. Sure wish I had had some scans earlier, but with no symptoms my onc never suggested it and I didn't know to ask.

Sandie
Old 04-21-2005, 05:51 AM   #7
Cindi

I found my recurrence to my ancillary lymph nodes 3 months after I had completed my year of Herceptin through clinical trial. I'd had ACT and rads before the Herceptin. My recurrence was just a "thickening" that I noticed under my arm near the scar line from my mastectomy. I was Stage 2A at dx.

I'd had a couple of Chest Xrays as precaution after finishing my Chemo, but other than that no other scans or tumor markers.

Cindi.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
al from canada

Linda's mets were found right at the beginning as spots on her liver but were dismissed as "spots" until she turned yellow 7 months later. Then it was "wake-up and smell the coffee", you have 2 weeks to live. Fortunately that was over a year ago. Life's a bitch but you gotta kep fighting.
Al
Old 04-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
Esther

My liver mets was found because of symptoms- I started to feel sick, and had pain in my abdomen. Blood tests showed increased liver enzymes, so that was followed by a ct scan, that showed the liver tumors.