HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
SusanV

Question Surgery Tomorrow

Back from my Ultrasound this morning at Magee Womens Hosp/Pittsburgh to look at a second "suspect area" on my left breast. Doc said it is a cluster of systs...nothing to worry about at this time. Surgery tomorrow to remove the two tumors from right breast tomorrow. I am anxious to get it in and over with.

I have a thought that I wanted to share with my support friends. I have only had 2 weeks to digest my DX, handle my new very fragile emotional status etc, but I can't help feeling that .......I will have the surgery(segmental mastectomy) tomorrow, find out by the end of the week if nodes are involved, but even if they are or their not, this HER 2 cancer will return in my body, its just a matter of where & when. I am 37 with two young children, just can't help feeling that with HER 2.. the odds of beating it are similar to the odds of winning the Power Ball lottery. Help me out...do you all feel this way?

Feeling pretty depressed

Susan in Pittsburgh, PA
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Becky

Dear Susan

I felt that way 2 years ago when I was where you are now. Especially that I was Her2 and had a node involved. But not everyone recurs and thats a fact. You will probably have chemo and radiation and that in itself does a great job in eliminating recurrences. But now, you have Herceptin (and can get it combined with the chemo (I had to take it separately because it only became available after my chemo was done)) and Herceptin reduces the risk of recurrence by over 50% over chemo alone. Yahoo!!!

You will start feeling better tomorrow because you will have done the first thing to begin to cure yourself, the surgery. Then you will move onto other treatments to finish the beast in your breast out of your body forever.

We are all here rooting for you Susan. You will be in my thoughts all week.

A big hug to you

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Someone has to win!

I do feel that way sometimes, but I mostly believe that "someone has to win" and it might as well be us! I try very hard to look at this as a "challenge" that together God and I can win! I know that the odds may seem against us, but the people working hard and fast to find something to beat this crumby disease are many and committed.

I know it feels awful that you have to take all this in so quickly with the surgery and everything, but for me that was best. I didn't have time to out think everything, I was just doing what needing doing!

As your family sees you fight, they'll join in the fight and give you the encouragement you need. When I feel down, my boys seem to lift me up. And it takes only one small smile from 1 of my little grandkids to show me again why I fight to win.

Most importantly . . . never, never, never give up!

Love and prayers,
ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
sarah

Dear Susan,
We've all been where you are now - afraid and confused but I know you'll feel better after your surgery and when you start your other treatments and realize that there is no reason, since you're cancer was caught early, that you can't live a normal life.
Herceptin is a miraculous drug for those of us HER2 people and more and better drugs are happening all the time.
Now that you've joined this cancer club, it's good to remain vigilant and informed but you're cancer was caught early and the surgery may remove it completely. Stay positive and strong. You're going to live a long happy life with those kids.
Good luck.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
koolbreeze

Susan, I understand what you are feeling and have felt the same myself. And I am sure many others on this site have as well. While being HER2+ indicates a person could have a higher rate of metastisis, there is the good news of Herceptin. Herceptin is the drug that helps combat it. The results and reports on this drug seem to be very positive thus far.

As you go along and learn more and more about your cancer and talk with your doctors, folks on this site and others with similar experiences, you will find that no one is the same. Every situation is different and there are a variety drugs and treatments available to combat this elusive enemy.

While there is no certain 100% cure, there are definitely options and treatments that will help your personal prognosis in this battle. You are already on the right path with asking questions on this site. Balance these things with what your Doctors advise and you will be ahead of the situation already.

I wish you all the best. May your surgery be smooth and recovery quick. Take care. Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
SusanV

Thank you

So much thanks to all of you...being afraid is much better when you can tell people who have been there. Big tears falling now...makes typing tough.. Love & warm thoughts to all of you and all of your families.... May we all beat the odds, just like winning the powerball !

Love all of you

Susan

Last edited by SusanV; 08-14-2006 at 10:46 AM..
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
chrisy

Susan,
It's completely natural to be scared at this point. Once you have more information, after the surgery, your path will be clearer. Do not assume that you will definitely have a recurrence. now that Her2 pos women can get Herceptin, this reduces the risk of recurrence by 50%. Add that to successful surgery and possibly other chemo and you have a great chance of never having to deal with cancer again! I hope this is true and wish you well tommorrow.
Take care
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
lexigirl

Susan,

Will be thinking about you tomorrow as you have your surgery. You will be getting the cancer OUT! The chemo will kill any cancer cells that may be circulating in your body. The herceptin will attach itself to the nasty her2 pros. and squash them! Like Becky said, the use of herceptin has shown to decrease recurrence by 50%. That's pretty good! The her2 is more aggresive, but the herceptin targets that. There are new drugs on the horizon.

Take good care of yourself and try not to overdo it after your surgery. I think you will be surprised at good you may feel. Get lots of rest and let your family and friends help you. We all care and pray for fast healing.

Love and Prayers,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote