HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
schoolteacher

Smile Update

I haven't posted on what has been happening with me lately, so I thought today would be a good day to let everyone know what has been happening.

In August, my oncologist found that I had four tumors in my lungs and an enlarged lymph node.

I called a member of this board who is very wise about our type of cancer. We discussed Navelbine and Herceptin. She recommended I ask about the T-DM1 trial.

I did. My doctor was very excited about me participating in the trial. I told him my luck had not been too good during the last week.

Well, I was accepted into the trial, but I did not get the arm of the trial I wanted. I was placed on the Tykerb and Xeloda arm.

I have completed two cycles of the drugs. I had to stop two days before the first cycle was complete due to the reaction in my body. I did finish the second cycle without any problems. My dosage was reduced by 25% during the second cycle.

I had scans on Monday and got the results yesterday. One tumor is gone in my lung and the other four have shrank by over 50%.

I started my third cycle yesterday. I have noticed that some of the woman on the board are not taking as high of a dosage as I have been given. It will be interesting to see if they have to reduce my dosage.

I hope by me participating in this trial that the T-DM1 medicine will be approved soon. I went to a nutrition workshop offered by Genetech last night, and an oncologist that works with Genetch was there, and I asked her when she thought the drug would be released. She said, "2012." I told her the women on the HER2 board were very upset about the delay by the FDA.

I am worried about not getting Herceptin and taking my Tamoxifen. I do not know my estrogen level. I should know that next week.

My HER2 level was at 52 in August. It is now at 39. It will be interesting to see if it goes back into normal range now that I am not blocking my estrogen.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
StephN

Re: Update

Dear Amelia -
Thanks for the thorough explanation of your recent "travels with mets." The news is great - the shrinkage is significant.

Perhaps the dosages of Tykerb/Xeloda are higher for this trial? The numbers may have been set by the FDA.

Keep up the good work. When did they take you off Tamoxifen?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
tricia keegan

Amelia,

Thnaks for updating us, it sounds like this is working well for you and I'm so glad to read that.

Thanks to you and all the other ladies in this trial paving the way to help those tomorrow that may recurr

My good wishes this continues to work for you as well as it has so far!

Tricia x
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Jackie07

Amelia,

Glad to hear the good news. Tykerb and xeloda have been a standard treatment for a while. I'm sure the treatment will keep the cancer at bay until TDM-1 becomes availalbe.

Thanks for sharing the valuable information. Take good care of yourself and keep us posted.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Laurel

Amelia,

I am so sorry you are having to battle the giant again, but it does sound promising that you had such a wonderful response. Thank you for participating in the TDM-1 trial. Looks like this arm, although not what you wanted, is effective! I am so glad. Sending prayers and warm thoughts. You are a special lady, Amelia.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
Ellie F

Hi Amelia
So glad you let us know what's been happening. I am really sorry you are back in the fight but glad your news is good. Hope fully T-DM1 WILL be available real soon. These ppl don't seem to understand that we can't wait
Hugs from across the pond.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Delaney

Amelia,
What dosage of tyverb/xeloda are you on? I am on 1250 mg tyverb and 3300 mg xeloda daily. I am not on a trial but its shrinking my lung mets too.
Lung mets shrinking.
Back on Herceptin with T/X. Partial response.
Skin mets progressing. Radiation scheduled mid february 2011.
Spot found on hip - radiation to hip beginning mid February 2011.
Now trying Gemzar/Tyverb/Herceptin and Zometa.
CT scan Feb 2011 - lung clear!
Brain mets (specks) - radiation mid Feb.
Brain Scan June'11 - Clear
CT Scan June'11 - Good - skin met active - watch and wait.
Surgery to remove skin met. Surgery to back 2012, four titanium rods inserted. Skin mets reappear. On Navelbine, not working. 4 week washout, start Myocet for skin and lung mets August 2012. Brain scan clear despte intermittent blurry vision (something hiding? Am suspicious but hopeful. )On we go, glad to be here.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
schoolteacher

I want to thank all you for your encouragement.

Delaney, I am taking 1200 mg of xeloda twice a day. I could not take the 3300 mg a day. I weigh 128 pounds. I will have to check the tykerb. I take 5 pills a day. I guess it is 1250 mg.

When did you find your mets? How many cycles have you had? Are you able to work? How many mets did you have?

Do you have any suggestions on what to eat? Have you had any problems with your hands and feet? My mouth cracked open during the first cycle.

I wish the trial would let me take Herceptin with the other medicine.

Amelia
Old 10-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
Delaney

Red face Re: Update

Hi Amelia,
I dont know my weight in pounds but I am 59 kilos. I did a clinical trial of tyverb only for one year, when I was considered 'early stage'. Had no side effects then. A few weeks after been taken off tyverb I noticed a 'spot' on my chest, this was biopsied, positive for cancer. CT scan then found more in lymph nodes and lungs. Am on my 4th cycle of tyverb/xeloda now. My hands and feet are cracked and sore, I wear latex gloves for housework and cotton gloves in bed. I find that compeed blister packs are good for my feet, its like getting a second skin and I can walk and exercise. Yesterday I got melt on the tongue immodium because I was so fed up of running to the bathroom. It worked. I eat bagels and bananas and pancakes, seem to tolerate them well. Am afraid to eat too much fruit and vegetables but plums seem to be ok. I dont work, was job hunting when diagnosed. Some days I feel really well and 'normal', other days I wonder why I should get out of bed. The xeloda has given me a red rash on my nose but aveeno cream and foundation cover it up. Hope you are doing well. Best wishes. I hope we will both be NED soon.
Lung mets shrinking.
Back on Herceptin with T/X. Partial response.
Skin mets progressing. Radiation scheduled mid february 2011.
Spot found on hip - radiation to hip beginning mid February 2011.
Now trying Gemzar/Tyverb/Herceptin and Zometa.
CT scan Feb 2011 - lung clear!
Brain mets (specks) - radiation mid Feb.
Brain Scan June'11 - Clear
CT Scan June'11 - Good - skin met active - watch and wait.
Surgery to remove skin met. Surgery to back 2012, four titanium rods inserted. Skin mets reappear. On Navelbine, not working. 4 week washout, start Myocet for skin and lung mets August 2012. Brain scan clear despte intermittent blurry vision (something hiding? Am suspicious but hopeful. )On we go, glad to be here.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Lani

about your worry about not getting your herceptin and getting your tamoxifen

Does that mean you were taking tamoxifen before or not taking it now?

Tykerb works on the her2 receptor from the inside, whereas herceptin works on it from the outside. Herceptin may have other effects that have to do with the immune system (ADCC). Herceptin plus tykerb have even more ADCC effects than herceptin alone.

Treatment with tykerb alone in preclinical studies can lead to increase their numbers of estrogen receptors.

Were any of your mets biopsyable? It would be useful to know whether your primary and/or mets were ER+

If either were, Dr. Slamon feels Faslodex is a better drug for her2+ patients than AIs or tamoxifen, but it is usually only given if you have failed other antihormonal treatments.

Sounds like being on a trial they are not going to give you much leeway for other treatments (ruins the statistics)

The good news is that you are responding. The other good news is that you are gathering information in case you stop doing so so you can act quickly.

Hope some of this helped!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
harrie

Amelia, it was good to hear from you. I am so happy to hear of the good results you are getting!
Take care and I wish you well.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
schoolteacher

Delaney, thanks for the update.

Lani, my estradiol level is currently 11.3, and it was 12.2 in August. They will not let me take the Herceptin with the Tykerb. I am hoping that my HER2 level will go down, now that the estrogen is not being blocked. He would not biopsy the places. My SUV level was high in August when he checked me. I wonder if my cancer is still estrogen driven? It still has to be HER2 driven because of my level being so high. I wonder if the vaccine is making my HER2 level high? No one at the University of Washington could answer this question for me. They still have not analyzed my blood work.

Glad to hear from you MaryAnne. Hope you have been doing well.

Amelia
Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Trish

Amelia
When I first started on Tykerb/Xeloda I was on these doses you are on but I became so sick with mucositis (severe mouth ulcers and severe diarrhea and vomiting) that I became dehydrated and was hosptalised twice. Tumour markers plumetted though. Dropped Xeloda to 3 tabs daily (I think) and Tykerb to 4 daily (1000mg). I found that managable. I was about 64kg when I started and weight dropped to 55kg a few months later owing to poor appetite and diarrhea. I gave up work soon after starting the Tykerb/Xeloda regime and admire those who can keep going.
I'm struggling to understand the interaction between hormones and the HER2 protein so really appreciate you raising it and the response from Lani.
Glad Tykerb/ Xeloda is working. Bring on the TDM-1 as well. So glad people are agitating about it.
Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
Lani

I assume you mean that the vaccine itself being made with part of an extracellular domain of her2 would cause the serum her2 test level to appear artificially elevated or are you thinking there is some cause and effect that increasing estrogen levels in the blood would somehow downregulate her2 in the tumor. Am unsure of the former, but doubt the latter, but maybe I don't understand your question...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #15
schoolteacher

Lani,

Thank you for your response. I meant the vaccine itself increasing my HER2 levels. I am glad that my estrogen is still low.

I wonder how long it will take for it to start rising? I have been off the Tamoxifen almost two months.

Trish, if you have any suggestions about taking this medicine I would been interesting in hearing them. I am having to take at least one nausea pill a day.

Amelia
Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
Lani

I think you are confusing tamoxifen's effects with AI's effects.

AIs decrease the amount of estrogen made, whereas tamoxifen acts like an imposter, sitting on the estrogen receptor and keeping estrogen from getting to it to activate it.

If your estrogen level is low on a blood test, it is may be the long term effect of the chemotherapy you took (I didn't read your signature so I don't know what else you got eg Gonado releasing hormone inhibitors etc)

Maybe I still don't understand...
Old 10-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
Ceesun

Just wishing you luck Amelia! Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #18
schoolteacher

Thank you Cessun. I do not believe that I am going to be able to take this medicine at this high of a doseage.

Amelia
Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #19
Trish

Amelia
I hope you are feeling better. I used anti nausea and anti diarrhea medication. After dehydration I had more complex electrolyte replacement but hopefully you won't get to that. I have been thinking of you and hoping things are easier.
Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote