HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #21
harrie

Chelee,
Actually, it was my OB/GYN that had me do the DEXA and he was the one who told me I should go on Fosomax to prevent further bone loss. I was having the DEXA done every 2 yrs. My last DEXA on 10/07 said my bone density is sig lower in the femoral neck then the lumbar spine comparted to 2002. It is just below the normal limits and still defined as osteopenia and not osteoporosis. But now that I am on AI, my oncologist wants me to do the DEXA annually.
The most common side effect that some people get is like a burning sensation in the esophagus. I never got ANY side effects like that.
I take mine once per wk and I have never experienced a side effect yet.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #22
Gerri

Chelee,

Yes, my knee has been a problem off and on through the last several years. However, it was a lot more painful after my Zometa infusion. I had the bright idea that I was going to start walking at work during lunch the Wednesday after my infusion, even though my knee was hurting quite a bit. I limped around the inside of my building for about 20 minutes and then stopped. After that my knee just kept getting worse and worse, by Sunday night it had swollen so much that I could not walk. Monday my husband took me to the orthopedic surgeon and I had my knee drained and got a cortisone shot. It felt much better the next day and continued improving.

I just got home from the rheumatologist - very interesting appointment. I was really happy to hear that I don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis or Gout - Lupus was already ruled out before this. I do have osteoarthritis in the joints of my fingers but it is not severe. He ran several blood tests at my first appointment and had the results. He said my SED RATE was high - 46 (normal range is 0 - 20) and he also checked my CRP which was also high - 8.11 (normal 0 - 5). These tests both indicate inflamation in my system which could be caused by many things. Since RA and Gout were ruled out, he thinks Zometa may have caused me to have 'Psuedo Gout', possibly an increase in inflamation due to the drug, but he said it should decrease over time - until I get Zometa again. The really interesting thing he said (without me asking) was that I should continue to get Zometa because it has been shown to prevent bone mets and see if I get the same side effects, if so we can deal with them. He said it was definitely worth it to continue.

He also checked my Vit D levels. NO ONE has checked these before and found that I am on the very low side of normal - 41.4 (normal 40 - 100) even though I take almost 3,000 units per day. He told me to increase by 1,000 units and he will check the levels again when I see him in February, after my next Zometa. This guy was great!

Chelee, this should give you the push you need to insist on getting Zometa. Go to the doctor most likely to give in, hopefully insurance won't be a problem. I am so lucky to have a PPO - never have to get a referal, or authorization for treatment.

I hope this info helps you decide what to do. You obviously need to act now so your bones don't get any weaker. Don't wait to get the blessings of your doctors, insist on it and you will feel so much better!

Take care,
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault

Last edited by Gerri; 09-26-2008 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: reworded
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #23
Lien

Bisphosphonates haven't been around very long, so the long term effects are anybody's guess. But one known side effect is osteonecrosis of the jaw. Which means your jawbone can have some really serious problems. As I'm having dental problems already - allergic to fillings because allergist forgot to mention some of my allergies to my dentist - I'm not willing to take that risk.

One way to stop the loss of bonemass is exercise, plenty of Vit D and Calcium and there are some other meds you can take. But it is a tough call.

Lien
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote