HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
Pray

Re: Breast Reconstruction: Bravia Procedure-looks way easier and less painful

It's' nice to hear frome you Mauren I do hope all is well for you and your kids. I look forward to your view on the procedure. Gods blessings to you and your children. Enjoy the trip! Peace my friend, Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #22
Paula O

Neato! I was glad you included that link as I hadn't seen it before, thx! From your research, if you have any other links that aren't above, it would be very helpful if you had the time to post them here. Thanks in advance if you have any other resources you can share for those considering the procedure.

I hope your appointment goes great, Maureen. I'm looking forward to hearing what you learn. If you find out, I am interested to know how much breast reconstruction in general and the Brava with fat transfer in particular increases the risk of lymphedema. Is it an issue? Will you go under general anesthesia for each liposuction? How many required for the large A cup/small B cup size?

I wish you the best!

Paula
P.S. I looked at your blog -- you have a beautiful family. I liked the quote you shared:

"The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human. But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful."
---Elizabeth Edwards

Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #23
candlegranny

wow great to read this about the fat cells. I have an awesome plastic surgeon in Louisville Ky He took my belly fat, removed my very damaged radiated skin from my left breast side and made me a new boob.. I call it my belly boob, It is called D.I.E.P. i was cut for hip to hip all the fat adn skin removed and blood vessels reattached. he made me a new belly button. awesome job. Even though this is man made and not God made it is acceptable. He just did a lift with small implant on my right breast (my reaal breast) and made the nipple and skin grafted the areola for my left "belly boob" well now the left breast he made is not as big as my real one so he has submitted the paper work to insurance company and he will do this procedure of lipo suction and reinserting the cells in my breast to enlarge it. he said to do an implant was too dangerous because of the blood vessel he fused together. dont want to chance it being damaged and lose the whole breast he made. Since he did not use my abdominal muscle, and cut nothing but fat, i left the hospital on no pain meds at all. my doctor's practice specializes in all types of cancer reconstruction. He is awesome. And right here in the midwest. i think Louisville ky is part of the midwest...... he told me they do this type of surgery alot. jsut wanted to comment on this post since it was somethign that is becoming very familiary to me. I had my masectomy jsut 3 yrs ago, didnt decide to do reconstruction till spring of last yr. still NED with scan coming up in February.
2.7 cm 18/31 nodes
mets to just above collar bone ( 2 nodes showed in PET)
ER- PR - / Her2 +++ (IHC) Stage 111 C
ki-67 60% nottingham score 7
A/C chemo mar 22,2010 DD
herceptin & taxotere DD june 1,2010
finished taxotere july 12, 2010
finished herceptin 16 May 2011
PET Scan 9 Aug 10, cancer in neck is gone! NED
33 Rads completed 1 Oct 2010
PET/CT Scan 6 Jan 2011 NED
PET/CT Scan 3 Aug 2011
MUGA 59% 3/22/10 -63% 9/23/10 - 51% 1/4/11 - 55% 2/17/11 - 50% 8/3/11
26 Aug 2011 NED
20 Feb 2012 NED
5 Mar 2012 PORT OUT
12 July 2012 DIEP breast reconstruction
23 Aug 2012 NED
15 Nov 2012 new breast tweeked and natural breast uplifted and implant added
17 Feb 2013 NED
27 mar 2013 lipo suction to add fat cells to new breast in hopes for needed adjustment.

"Don't spend your time worrying about when or how you are going to die, spend your time figuring out how you are going to live today". ~Elizabeth Edwards.
candlegranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
Paula O

Can you give us an update on your appt when you have time, Maureen? What did you think?

Paula
Old 04-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #25
Paula O

Maureen (or anyone else who has done this procedure),

Any input on your experience with this method of reconstruction? Hope things are going well for you.

Paula

P.S. If anyone reading this has moderater priviledges on this site, can you please fix mis-spelling in the title of this thread and change from Bravia to Brava? Thx in advance.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #26
mmoons

Well, I broke my promise. I am so sorry! I promised to get back to you all after I went to Miami. New job, vacation, and adult ADD......I am so sorry for the delay.

The BRAVA will not work for me. I flew there and met with them. I went through the consultation and decided to get fitted for the device. But they could not get suction....and never will with that device on my body. From arm pit to arm pit, I am tiny. The cones are big. There was about an inch hanging over on each side, instead of being flush against my chest where is could create a seal. Does that make sense?

I left there feeling so, so sad and disappointed....for about 30 minutes. And then I realized that it was just not supposed to be a journey for me to take. It would mean a ton of time aways from my kids. And it just wasn't for me.

I am happy to share anything else about my experience with any of you. Ask me anything! I can share what I thought about the offices, the people, the location, etc.

Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #27
Paula O

> I can share what I thought about the offices, the people, the location, etc.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,
Thanks for letting us know. That'd be great if you are willing to share as per your post above. Thx.

Paula
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #28
NEDenise

Maureen!
I just clicked on your "My Loves" link...and wow!

What a beautiful family! I wish I lived closer...I'd definitely get "shot by Bob!"
Just when I thought your son couldn't get more handsome, or look more like a budding judge or doctor...he popped on those glasses and yikes...what a charmer!
And that daughter of yours...her smile should be sold by the watt. LOVE the toothy smile...I know she probably has her beautiful, big girl teeth by now...but sooo cute!

Mom of course looks great! Especially the footbridge photos...and I had to say awww at the ones with you and your son walking away together, you and your daughter chatting on the bridge...and the one of the two kids running toward you.

Now...having commented on the really important stuff...about reconstruction. I'd like to go on record as saying that I think all of you were wise to wait...and decide on all of this when the terror of cancer has receded a little.
I...with the benefit of hindsight being 20/20...have some 'regrets' about how my recon was done...and has turned out.
You are all wise to do your research, and ask ALL your questions first. Sadly, do-overs aren't as easy as you might think. I only have first hand knowlege of lumpectomy, bmx, and DIEP flap recon, and the associated drains, scars and hassles...but if anyone has a question I can answer...I think you know by now...I'm not shy. Just ask. Here or PM...either way.

Best to all!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #29
Catia

Smile Re: Breast Reconstruction: Bravia Procedure-looks way easier and less painful

Just finished my breast reconstruction with the BRAVA device and fat graft!! If anyone has questions, please write me!
Catia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
'lizbeth

Catia,

How do you like the result?

Did you have any issues with necrosis? My Plastic surgeon thought the breast would be lumpy with fat grafting.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #31
Paula O

Hi Catia,

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with the procedure and what you think of the results.

Thanks for sharing,

Paula
Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #32
Catia

Yes, I am very pleased with the results! It took four grafting procedures and I am a 38C now (used to be 36C before). My breasts are soft and have moderate sensation. I had a couple of cysts which the Doc drained easily. No scars, no cuts! No skin transplant. This can even be done to breasts that have been radiated. Downside: Had to go to Miami every time as I wanted it done by Dr. Khouri who invented the BRAVA procedure. Because this external expander prepares your breast for the fat grafts, it does not die as it would otherwise. Side perk: Lipo wherever you want.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #33
Catia

Hi there,
had my procedures done in Miami with Dr. Khouri who invented the BRAVA device. It is an external expander (like a suction bra) that you wear at night, artificially creating swelling (edema) in the breast to graft the fat into during surgery. This increased vascular stimulation ensures that the fat will stay alive and not die after it is placed inside the scaffolds of your swollen tissue (does not hurt). After I used the BRAVA initially I looked like I had breast again because it swells up big time but does not last unless the fat is injected. I like my results very much and my breast look and feel natural. Had no lumpy breast but did have a couple of little cysts that the doctor drained manually in the office (also did not hurt). The lipo areas hurt a lot afterwards and there is just no way around that. However, it seems all worth it in the end as your body is getting in shape again. I wore a glue-on type soft cast afterwards to stabilize the fat in place for 3-4 weeks, which also did not hurt and made the injection sites heal flawless. I would say after the swelling is gone I retained about 90% of the fat that was put into my breast,...you do lose a bit as not all cells injected are viable. It took about ten month and three grafting procedures with the fourth just being the nipple recon and some minor adjustments.Had no infections and this doctor often uses fat grafting to shape deformities, rebuild entire breasts like in my case with the double mastectomy or adds fat to implants to even them out. Hope this helps.
April 13th, 2011 Double Mastectomy, no immediate reconstruction
May 2011 to Nov, 2011 chemo AC-TH plus
Herceptin until Sep 2012
11/2012 Began GP-2 vaccine at MD Anderson in Houston (monthly shots until April 2013), now receiving booster shots every six months

Began natural breast reconstruction with BRAVA procedure in Oct 2012
With Dr. Khouri at the Miami Breast Center.

Oct 2012 First fat graft
Jan 2013 Second fat graft
March 2013 Third fat graft
July 2013 Final touch-up with nipple reconstruction
November 2013: Vaccine Booster #1
January 2014 Nipple tatooing
April 2014: Vaccine Booster #2
October 2014: Vaccine Booster #3
April 2015: Vaccine Booster #4 (trial finished)
Dec 2015: Scar treatment with Kenalog and laser

Update: 2022 still in the clear and the GP-2 vaccine trial I participated in is moving to 3rd and final phase. None of the women that are in it have relapsed!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #34
Shirley

The University of Washington Alumni Magazine recently featured an article about the Brava procedure. It profiles one woman's experience with it, and is quite helpful if you are trying to figure out what this is about. At first it sounded kind of wacky to me (especially when you see the pictures of the cones you have to wear), but this is something that mainstream physicians are doing and evidently with success.

http://www.washington.edu/alumni/col...ne-2013/mapes/
  • Neoadjuvant TCH chemo started 5-15-13 (4 rounds, 3 weeks apart)
  • Unilateral Mx w/expander 8-22-13 (right side)
  • 5/5 nodes Neg
  • clear margins but close. Tumor at removal down to 2.2 cm.
  • Radiation 6 wks starting 10-17-13.
  • Herceptin every 3 weeks until 4-23-14
  • DIEP/Mastopexy 10-8-14, U of WA
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote