HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
SoCalGal

Cool X marks the spot...

After much research on clinical trials, a lot of worrying, stressing, networking, and dreying (Yiddish for driving yourself nuts) I've made a decision...

I am going to do radiation to my sternum mets. Third times a charm, right? I've had radiation twice but never to this particular area so I'm hopeful that it will do the trick.

My lungs are stable. NED in the head. My oncologist said my treatment is working in my body, except for the bone mets. She even feels that staying on Zometa is wise, since I've had no new bone mets and it is protective.

Since mets in the manubrium of the sternum is "all" that's going on, I do not qualify for the clinical trials that I would consider. Most of them want "measurable disease of at least 1 cm in an organ or soft tissue". WHATever.

I did my verification/dry run today. They used my microscopic "dot tattoo" from 1996 to locate me (here I am!) and today they added a big black "X" with a sharpie marker and they said to leave it until Monday. I wished for my big box of colored pens to help play connect the dots. They remember my down on the LL level of the Comprehensive Cancer Center, and said, "no gown" right? Right on! I said. I am still a stripper. Haha. I have avoided the hospital gown - proudly - for 13 years. It's mah thang. I don't do the gown unless I'm on the red carpet.

I'm trying really hard, to stay in a good frame of mind. And to keep my eye on the prize. And the fact that I still have some choices.

That's my weekend update. I love you all.

Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
WomanofSteel

I know you will win that prize Flori, because you are a great fighter. Now go get 'em girlfriend! I wanna hear those mets screamin' in NJ!
bcs 8/4/03
bcs 8/21/03 0/16 nodes
tx 4x ca 36 rad tam
postmenopausal 06 aromasin
sept 07 biopsy node in neck
muga/pet/cat/bone mets to lungs nodes and liver stage iv
tx hki-272
tx not working switched to taxol herceptin
Taxol not working switched to navelbine
navelbine is causing bad neuropathy
starting gemzar
gemzar quit on me now on Ixempra due to increasing number and size of liver mets
another progression starting tykerb/xeloda
WomanofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Lien

You go girl! Zap that met!

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Lani

are you treating it at Stanford?

Your post didn't say.

Best of luck,
Lani
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Joan M

Flori,

Your decision to decide on a local treatment sounds good in this case. With everything else under control a local treatment is a good option.

I'm praying that all goes well and the rads really zaps those pesky mets.

Hugs,

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Lien

Hi Flori

Would you have a recipe for gluten free matzos? I miss eating them. I bake my own buckwheat bread & muffins, but matzos I have yet to try.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Debbie L.

Laughing at matzos

Jacqueline, didn't you see the photo? I don't think that you want HER recipe.

Just kidding. Seriously, Flori I send you good and healing thoughts as you begin your radiation. Keep us posted.

Your comment about no gown has me thinking. What a GREAT idea. I bet that all patients would feel more empowered and less victimized if they took this simple step. I'm going to start suggesting it to people. Our county breast cancer committee bought lush terrycloth robes embroidered with a pretty flower, for patients to wear at the local radiation oncology facility. But now I'm thinking - we should have chosen something more lively. Hmmm ... suggestions for empowering and fun radiation-wear?

Love,
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
Lien

Yep, saw the photo. And thought: Flori is not the kind of person to give up. So I figured that by know she probably has THE perfect recipe for me....

Re. gowns: We don't do gowns in the Netherlands. We go into a cubicle to change, and when they are ready for us, we come out and get on the table. Nude from the waist up.

Jacqueline
Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
schoolteacher

Flori,

Hope you are feeling better. Glad you have decided on a treatment. How often do you take the Zometa?

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Ellie F

Flori

Glad you have made a decision about your treatment. I think about you often and how well you have done fighting this disease for so long, especially days when 18 months of fighting feels forever! You inspire many people.Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
caya

Mazel Tov dear Flori on your decision to zap those mets with rads - I do believe that the third time's the charm for sure.

Take it easy, keep the faith, enjoy your Pesach -

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
SoCalGal

the answers

Oh ladies, you make me laugh and feel so well- understood. Thank you all.

Lani - Cedars Sinai, in Los Angeles. I wish I could remember if I'm getting PHOTON or Proton and then Electron. I guess it's not really important - I just feel suddenly senile. Whatever it is I've decided to put clear nail polish over the "x" spot until Monday. It really looks like a weird tattoo now. Ha!

Gluten Free Matzah - good point Debbie - LOL. Thanks Jaqueline for having faith in me. While I'm not a quitter, I also know when to quit. The recipe was from the internet, and there were several that followed the same recipe. Oatmeal, grind it into a flour, mix with water and knead until it's pliable. Set aside some flour. Roll into small round blobs. Bake 11 minutes. The whole thing must be done within 18 minutes to be considered Kosher. Whatever. Did my fleeing Ancestors have Timex watches? Some of these laws are pretty funny. Really - it's a lot of work for crappy tasting matzah. My exciting fire aside, it really tasted horrible which is why I was trying to toast it up. I am going to serve the wheat-eaters real matzah and for Tony and I, we'll eat crackers. Favorite brand: Mary's Gone Crackers. They are YUMMMMMY. Kosher for Pesach? Highly and totally doubtful. I'll let you know if God notices.

Schoolteacher - I get Zometa every other chemo treatment, so every 6 weeks. The current protocol is every 4 but I don't have a port and I can't have chemo every 5 minutes. Too impatient. Too depressing. With the bone progression I "offered" to come in every 4 weeks if my onc thought it would be more effective. She told me that the protocol is going to change to more space between treatments - probably every 6 weeks anyhow. So there you have it.

Have a great rest of your weekends and hope everyone has many moments of feeling peace!
xxoo Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
9/09 MARKERS normal!
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.

Last edited by SoCalGal; 04-04-2009 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: hate happy faces
Old 04-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
SoCalGal

What to wear to radiation...

At Cedars-Sinai, they have these little closets surrounding the radiation waiting room. You are supposed to go into a closet and change into a gown. Then sit (with others-boys and girls) until you are called.

Here are my issues:
#1. sitting around in a blue gown with strangers
#2. the gowns suck - they are SCRATCHY
#3. leaving my clothes unattended, in public
#4. you have to open the whole stupid gown as soon as you get into the room anyhow.

The Flori method"
#1. Smile and say no thanks when they offer the gown.
If they don't back off, using direct eye contact, say, "I am a stripper and prefer to disrobe in the room". DO NOT LAUGH when you deliver this line.
#2. IMMEDIATELY upon entering the radiation room, start to take off your jacket, sweater, top shirt, etc., and strip down to the T-strap t-shirt.
#3. This is a dark room at Cedars, so they can see that I'm getting rid of my clothes, but they can't really "see" too much.
#4. At this point they hold up a sheet, like at the massage place, and I take the rest off.
#5. At the end of the zaptron - reverse process and go home! Saves time changing and they never mind me!

I like the fuzzy robe idea, I just don't like wearing strange clothes that I didn't personally wash.

xoxo

9/09 MARKERS normal!
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
Old 04-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
vickie h

Hi Flori,

Have missed you and just tonight saw your number (I think) on my caller ID yesterday...my cat jumped onto the phone and erased all messages for the past few weeks. I am happy to hear that you will be getting that radiation to stop those nasty bugs. I love your idea of stripping down in the room. When I had rads, I went into one of those little closets but didn't have to wait out with the "crowd' and went directly into the rad room. Since I am not inclined towards modesty, I just walked in half naked. they were embarassed..but didn't faze me at all.

I've been a bit down with the anemia and lack of neutriphils and they are deciding if they can continue this treatment shoujld my numbers not rise enough. At least i am back home and even went to a baseball game today (my littlest grandson in Santa Barbara, where I'll be staying for the next week).

I'm sending you good wishes and lots of love for your upcoming rads. Let's pray that takes care of everything. Mucho love to you, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
Becky

Dear Flori

Did you ever retest your mets for hormone status? Just asking because hormone positive bc loves the bones best. Your hormone status may have changed and an AI or tamoxifen may do you well. You might ask your onc to "chance it" even without a new pathology reading and put you on something anyway.

Zap those buggers out!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #16
Laurieanne

Hi Flori,
Ellie is right, you inspire us. I wish you good things
with your decision on radiation. Beau is absolutely beautiful.
My son is a shepherd guy and is pushing to bring
one home, but my lab would be devestated.
Love & prayers,
Laurie
Laurieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
chrisy

Well Flori, if those mets in the sternum aren't going to make themselves useful (for trial qualifiers) then I agree, the heck with them. Ya might as well be rid of the stupid buggers.

Good for you! Show them who's boss.

Much love
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #18
hutchibk

I love your plan, Twinkie!

I avoid gowns, too... separated at birth, we were.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 04-05-2009 at 07:42 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
Rich66

Ha! (silent chuckle)..Ha! Only you crazy gals could turn radiation into comedic relief
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #20
Shobha

Oh Flori! I just love reading your posts when you are in the zone! full of humor and spirit, cheering everyone here as well!

I am wishing and praying hard that this will do the trick and you will be NED again!!

love,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote