HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
SusanC

Question Standard Treatment?

Hi, this is my first message. I have been trying to get information about the type of treatment that most people have received. I am 44, stage 1, ER-/EP+, her2+. I have just finished (3) out of (4) of A/C. Yuck. I have one left and my Oncologist is suggesting 12 weekly treatments of Taxol and of course Herceptin. Does everyone do the Taxol as well? I am looking to see if it is worth doing the Taxol. Please let me know what treatment plan you had or are getting. Thank you!!
Susan C.
SusanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
RhondaH

Smile First of all...

treatment plans are ALWAYS changing (I received 6 doses of TEC...taxotere, epirubicin and cytoxan...wasn't supposed to get Herceptin as I TOO was Stage 1, ER/PR-, weakly HER2+3.16...but at my 1st 3 month check up, my onc recommended it). Yes, you should do the Taxol as there is a synergy w/ Herceptin (I will look up and add to my post previous discussions). I don't know as I did ALL together, but many say the taxanes are easier than a/c. What your doctor has proposed IS the current protocol. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...rtikelNr=55401

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by RhondaH; 09-08-2006 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: addition
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
tricia keegan

Hi Susan I also did 12 weekly Taxol/herceptin and found it so much easier to tolerate than a/c.I did'nt even need anti nausea meds and my hair began frowing back although I did lose my lashes and brows! Really it is a much easier regime for most people.Good luck

Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
SusanC

Rhonda,
Thank you for your reply. Your information is just what I was looking for. Thanks!
Susan
Old 09-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
SusanC

Tricia,
Thank you for your reply. I am glad to hear that you handled it better than A/C. Just the thought of more chemo makes me queasy.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Margerie

Susan,

I did the exact same protocol. I also found the taxol/herceptin much easier than AC. I was not nauseous, but I had to take more steroids and ended up having to take ativan to sleep. ALso taxol is VERY dehydrating. I would actually panic if I forgot to bring a water bottle when I left the house. Stool softeners, saline spray and vaseline (really dried out my nose) were also my friends. I would take that over nausea any day. Fatigue was not too bad either. Hair started growing, eyelashes and brows left after I was all done- go figure.

Hang in there. Each day is a day closer to ending chemo!

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
Tami

My experience was the same as Tricia's. I felt a lot less foggy and did not need the anti nausea meds. I continued to get more tired with each treatment but was totally doable. Hang in there. tami
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Bev

Ditto Margerie's reply. If you are also doing rads, taxol is suppose to sensitize those circulating cancer cells to succumb to radiation. Easier than AC, but you will gain weight with the premeds. They do give you premeds because some people have reactions to taxol. If you made it thru Ac, you'll make it thru T & H. Fatique will kick in towards the end. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Becky

AC followed by TH is the standard protocol. Some oncologists don't give taxol if you are Stage I. They would give 4 AC followed by Herceptin only. I do not recommend this. There is a very clear and strong survival advantage for Her2+ women in receiving taxol after AC.

Like some of the other responders, I felt yucky on AC but taxol was much, much easier to handle.

Go for it all.

Have a nice weekend

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #10
tousled1

Susan

I received 4 A/C followed by 4 Taxatore. Taxatore is in the same family as Taxol. Make sure you drink plenty of water or whatever your taste buds desire. The decardon pre-med was worse than the treatment itself.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:05 AM   #11
doh2pa
Deceased

Hi Susan

I was a stage II back in Feb 2004 with negative nodes. They wound up doing a mastectomy, because they were unable to acheive clean margins with a lumpectomy. I did 4 rounds of dose dense AC and skipped the taxol because with neg nodes it was not strongly indicated. 18 months later I advanced to stage IV with liver mets. I regret not going all out full tilt and doing the taxol. So please, please, please, take every chance to be CURED rather than have any regrets.

Donna
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #12
SusanC

Hi Donna,

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I am so sorry that you have to go through this now.
I was going to skip the taxol, but with the advice from everyone, I am going to go for it. Take care Donna,
Susan
Old 09-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #13
SusanC

Kate,
Thanks for your info. I have learned that I should do all the chemo that is recommended.
Susan
Old 09-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #14
jkmellem05

Question recurrece

Dont get down on yourseslf thinking that you may or may not have done something right. About 3 years agao I was stage IIb ER/PR negative HER 2 positive... I did a mastectomy, Adriamiacyn, cytoxen, and 5 -fu. I then had taxotere and 33 radiation treatments. last month I found a lump on the side that I had the mastectomy on. I sent in for surgery and the biopsy came back cancer. I am shocked, I didnt everything right...

Everything happens for a reason and Im not sure what the reason is yet... but I am getting ready to start more checmo, some special radiation and had a pet scan to check for mets. I will get the results Tuesday when I go to get my precise plan. I had my port put in Friday so I am ready to go!! hit me with your best shots!!!!!!!!!! Drrrrrrrrrrrr....lol...ever heard that song, hit me with your best shot? well that is what those DRs are going to do and with my faith and knowing the wonderful things God can do. We will beat this! MY "BigC"()Jesus Christ is gonna kick the "little cs"(cancer) but!

I have many questions about the side effects that anyone has had with herceptin... Please email me and tell me about them. jkmellem@aol,com

One more thing... has anyone a normal ca153 when they knew in fact that their cancer was back... mine was 12 and the cancer is definately back.. I guess the PET scan will show how advanced and I will know that on tuesday
Hugs

Jodie

Be blessed

Jodie
jkmellem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #15
tousled1

Jodie,

My CA at diagnosis was 15.3 which is within the normal limits and I was diagnosed as Stage III. Regarding side effects with Herceptin, here is a thread that was recently on the board.

Herceptin Side Effects

There are other threads that dealt with the side effects, so you may want to do a search. Hope this helps.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra

Last edited by tousled1; 09-11-2006 at 12:01 AM..
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote