HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
Grace

HER2 and Evening Primrose Oil

I received this with my Google Alerts this morning, and went looking for the jar of Evening Primrose Oil that I dipped into a few times and then neglected.

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), a substance in evening primrose oil and several other plant oils used in herbal medicine, inhibits action of Her-2/neu, a cancer gene that is responsible for almost 30 percent of all breast cancers, Northwestern University researchers report.

“Breast cancer patients with Her-2/neu-positive tumors have an aggressive form of the disease and a poor prognosis,” said Ruth Lupu, director of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Breast Cancer Translational Research Program, who led the study, published in the Nov. 2 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

Lupu is professor of medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and a researcher at The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University.

Lupu and co-investigator Javier Menendez showed that treating cancer cells that overexpressed Her-2/neu with GLA not only suppressed protein levels of the oncogene, but also caused a 30- to 40-fold increased response in breast cancer cells to the drug Herpetin (trastuzumab), a monoclonal antibody that is used for the treatment of many women with breast cancer.

Menendez is research assistant professor of medicine at Feinberg and a scientist at Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute.

“In our tests, treating the cancer cell lines with both GLA and Herceptin led to a synergistic increase in apoptosis [cell death] and reduced cancer growth. Therefore, although further studies are necessary before GLA can enter clinical trials, these findings may reveal a previously unrecognized way of influencing the poor outcome of Her-2/neu-positive cancer patients,” Lupu said. “GLA’s inhibition of Her-2/neu works in a different manner from that of Herceptin,” Menendez said.

“While Herceptin attempts to neutralize thousands of Her-2/neu molecules commonly found in the surface of overexpressing cancer cells, GLA would be more efficient to reduce Her-2/neu levels by preventing the transcription of few Her-2/neu gene copies,” Menendez said. “Considering that activation and overexpression of the Her-2/neu oncogene are crucial events in the cause, progression and cell sensitivity to various treatments in breast cancer, results of the study showed reveal a valuable means by which an inexpensive herbal medicine might regulate might regulate breast cancer cell growth, metastasis formation and response to chemotherapies and endocrine therapies,” Lupu said.

GLA exerts selective toxic effects on cancer cells without affecting normal cells. Menendez’s earlier research showed that supplementation with GLA sensitizes breast cancer cells to some chemotherapeutic drugs, such as paclitaxel (Taxol), docetaxel (Taxotere) and vinorelbine (Navelbine). Lupu and Menendez recently demonstrated that GLA also enhances the efficacy of anti-estrogens, such as tamoxifen and Faslodex.

“Since overexpression of Her-2/neu generally confers resistance to chemo- and endocrine therapies, our current findings can explain why GLA increases the efficacy of breast cancer treatments,” Menendez said.
GLA is one of two essential fatty acids - fats that are necessary for maintaining normal functioning and growth of cells, nerves, muscles and organs. Besides evening primrose oil, other sources of GLAs include borage oil and black current seed oil.

Besides Menendez, other authors on the study were Luciano Vellon, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute; and Ramon Colomer, head of the medical oncology division at the Institut Catala d’Oncologia, Girona, Spain.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
primrose

hi grace, i am new to this board but have been posting a fair amt lately. also read about eveprimrose. I take this with a few others but alway wonder how much to take and will they cause problems when i start chemo. I take even primrose, tumeric, flax seed, grape seed, vit c&d, fish oil and a ton of green tea. Never have i taken so much stuff but feel what can i gain?
thanks for that notice
suzanne
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
RhondaH

Smile Here are some more posts on Evening Primrose Oil

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sea...earchid=160569

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
StephN

Wink Thanks Grace

Yes, Rhonda , we have had mentions of this effect of evening primrose oil on this site before.

Your link is not working for me.
Here is another:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sea...earchid=160643

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Senorina

Oh, my goodness. I had not heard of Evening Primrose Oil and Her2. This is wonderful. As it is, I've been taking Flax Seed Oil with high lignans to help with estrogen balance (instead of Tamoxifen). Thank You!!!!!!!!
Senorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Exciting To Hear...

So interesting. Neither of the above links worked for me. HOWEVER, because of my 23 yrs of hot flashing I have long been on Evening Primrose Oil. Always feeling a tad bit of fear but desperate. Now -- look at that. My supplements list is in my GAINING CONTROL thread below if you want to check it out. Never WAS a pill taker but met bc changed my life in lots of ways.

Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
hutchibk

Good info to know. What do you smarties know about whether it might have an interferring action with any chemos? I already take my tablespoons of olive oil everyday to inhibit the Her2. If I can take Evening Primrose, I will!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
Grace

Can't say about chemo interference, but I noticed that one of the researchers (from U. of Girona in Spain) is the same researcher that's been doing work on Olive Oil/Leaf and its benefit to those with HER2. I must get back to taking those supplements!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
hutchibk

Wow Grace, you are on top of this! Thanks for keeping us informed... yes, drink your EVOO!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
PinkGirl

questions

I think I understood what I read. GLA isn't the same thing as Evening Primrose, it is one of the things in it. The links also didn't work for me.
Does anyone know how much we are supposed to take? Is GLA a supplement by itself or do you have to get it in the Evening Primrose?

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
RhondaH

I don't know what happened...

if you go the the yellow "search" bar and type in Evening Primrose Oil, we have had other discussions (I miss those VERY thought provoking discussions w/ Lisa, Sandy, Gina (still around, just busy) and Al).

Rhonda

8/1/05 Finished 33 rads

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Mary Jo

I, too, would like to know how much evening primrose to take. And, ohhhhhhhhh, how I wish I could "drink" the EVOO but I just can't do it. I tried taking a Tablespoon of it one morning and thought I'd vomit. Ewwwwww.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
TSund

Hm...one of the Fish oil's Ruth and I are taking has 152 mg of GLA as well as the others. (ALA, DHA, EPA). I also think Udo's oil that we throw into protein shakes has some Evening Primrose Oil in it, but I can't check the bottle as we are out!

I wonder if taking the oils helped her chemo/Herceptin... I like to think so.

TRS
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 AM   #14
R.B.

Complicated as usual.

I posted a response to this and must have forgotten to hit the post button.

I went and found what I think was the trial. It was in the lab on cells and using pure GLA and not Borage or Evening Primrose etc.

Long chain fats you eat have to get through the gut into the lymphatic system, into the blood supply and past all the other processes that might want them.

So digestion is very important.

GLA is a child of the mother omega six LA linolenic acid. The body can make GLA from LA. That is assuming your conversion pathways are not blocked.

IF your conversion pathways are blocked you likely will not be making the other long chain fats either - that includes the omega threes EPA and DHA. Some do have severe conversion problems. Many have reduced conversion - Sugar, excess omega six etc., and some mineral deficiencies block conversion.

Also GLA comes with lots of omega six, some less than others -Borage and Blackcurrant have a better GLA to LA ratio than evening primrose - check the labels.

GLA works thorough gene expression and via DGLA and COX1 enzymes which produce less inflammatory chemicals than COX2. COX1 products are necessary to all sort of functions stomach maintenance etc.

GLA is converted into DGLA which is the basis of the COX1 pathways BUT DGLA is also converted into AA which is the basis of the COX2 pathway. (see Greek Diet post and COX2 posts).

So moderation and caution is required, and you need to consider your GLA supplement, and its omega six content as part of your intake in balancing the omega threes and sixes. GLA is made in normal circumstances from LA, but there may be benifits for those who cant make it / dont make enough.

There may well be other benefits from cold pressed oils as fats in plants come with antioxidants to protect them.

IF it were a choice between a GLA oil and fish oil I would go for fish oil every time - for me you should worry about your omega three six balance and ensuring a supple of the long chain omega threes as a priority, and then think about maybe adding a little GLA within your omega six intake.

As usual please mention dietary change and supplements to your medical advisor.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #15
Christine MH-UK

Starflower oil a more promising source

The difficulty with evening primrose oil is that it also has a fairly high amount of Linoleic Acid (which reduced herceptin sensitivity in test tube experiments on cells), so starflower oil (oil of the borage flowers), which contains alot more GLA and less LA, is probably a better bet.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #16
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
so brenda you actually drink one tblsp of evoo? and borage better than epr..in some cases...ok I'm on it
suzanne
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
Senorina

I've been taking Barlean's Organic Flax Seed Oil (Highest Lignan), which has all three Omegas (3, 6, and 9). I've been doing this to help supress/bind estrogen. Will this also do the trick for suppressing Her2 since it has all the Omegas?

Thank you so much for your help.
You can find it on www.barleans.com
Senorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #18
RhondaH

Smile Mimi...

I TOO drink a TBS of Olive Oil every day...once your used to it, it's fine.

Rhonda

8/1/05 Finished 33 rads

Old 11-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #19
PinkGirl

Question olive oil

Rhonda, does olive oil "go bad"? I keep some of my regular
cooking oils in the refrigerator, but someone told me that
olive oil gels if you refrigerate it. Do you keep it at room
temperature and for how long? Hmmm.. you probably use it up so
fast it doesn't matter.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
Grace

You don't want to keep olive oil in the refrigerator, and it can go rancid like any other oil when kept out for too long. It's best when kept in dark; after it loses its green color you should consider buying a new bottle. Generally, people who use lots of olive oil, which is great for you in so many ways, go through a bottle every two weeks, so it never gets a chance to go bad. My favorite recipe for olive oil (oil should be the best you can buy), is to toast bread, such as a peasant bread, rub with cut garlic clove (Spanish touch), pierce the bread with a fork, and spread olive oil on top and eat. This is served in many Italian restaurants as a appetizer and if the oil is particularly good, it may be one of the more expensive appetizers on the menu. Just thinking of it has me salivating.

Another wonderful way to use olive oil is to put a teaspoon or more on top of soup. And, of course, use it on salads. My husband only uses olive oil as a dressing, not even a touch of vinegar.