HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
phil

FDA Blocks Life-Saving Cancer Drug Rally

Feeding off our Petition, " FDA Blocks Life-Saving Drug " ( Google it and please sign ! ), we at " Our Her2 Cancer Struggle " ( FB) are having a Rally. Tuesday, December 6th. 11:30 A.M. At the Flagpoles in front of Boston City Hall. Survivor Speakers are all lined up , and supporters.
Any Her2 + Survivors and Supporters are welcome . We will invite the Press. We will present a printed copy of the Petition to the local Federal HHS officilas immediately after the Rally. They are waare, and cordial. They are not the Target. This FDA and Genentech are. We will ask for a face to face mtg. in DC with Dr. Sebelius.
We encorage Avastin Survivors to Rally , and send thier own message to DR. Sebelius : This FDA is Blocking Life -saving Drugs from thousands of Her2 +, and TNBC Survivors . A pattern of obstructing the Accelerated Approval program , since 2009. Women, and men are DYING !! Speak Up !!
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
ElaineM

Wink Re: FDA Blocks Life-Saving Cancer Drug Rally

Good luck at the rally. I signed the petition and sent the link to some other people a long time ago.
I can't be a the rally. I am 5000 miles away.
Take care.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
hutchibk

Re: FDA Blocks Life-Saving Cancer Drug Rally

Dr. Sebellius is an obvious target, but I am curious, why Genentech? They are as unhappy about this as we are. I promise.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
phil

While its true that Gen. wanted the drug approved , it was w/ mixed motives. $$ is always afactor in their top CEOS decision-making. Some in the co. wanted to close Expanded Access right after the FDA declined approval. But were persuaded not to. Also did not extend access to much of the country , after FDA denial. No return on their investment. Now they have closed access. And they are keeping my wife from Boston, w/ low platelets shes an investment risk.
So FDA is the main problem here, but we need an FDA that works for us, and keeps an eye on how Big Business sells medicines. While they make wonderful dugs, and want to save lives, they also will make BILLIONS per year on this drug . Dont be fooled. The top execs at Gen. are as far removed from the chemo rooms as Dr. Pazdur over at the FDA. The Systemis crooked. Witness how this FDA handles so-called compassionate use, they tell pts, " Dont contact us, have your doc call the Co. IF THE CO. SAYS OK , we'll review it. Many co's wont give single pt or so -called comp. use, becuas eits an INVESTMENT RISK ! What if you have an un-related health crisis on thier drug. If youre Gen. , w/ this antagonistic FDA, you are screwed, so Speak up ! This FDA Oncology Review Div. needs an overhaul, and some real compassion for Stage IV pts.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
phil

As far as I know, Genentech has not granted ANY single pt. access for T DM-1. And many pts in dire straits have asked. So much for compassionate business.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
hutchibk

I am a pt in compassionate use of T-DM1. I fly a distance to get it... The FDA has prevented them from granting access just because a patient wants it... the FDA requires ALL data to be collated into their approval processes. The real argument is with the FDA.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Lani

Edited away to the point of deletion
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Soccermom

Signed and Facebooked!
Thank you!
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
phil

Expanded Access is NOT comp. use ! Single pt access is . " Comp. Use " is a name given by Congress to that part of the Acc. Approval Program, wher apt's Dr. asks the co for single pt. access. Co's are reluctant to give it, as I stated above, risk of un-related health probs. Gen. does NOT give any compassionate use for this drug. We are very happy that you got into the T DM-1 EAP. Gen. was going to close it last Oct 31, until we had our Sen. Kerry's office and Congr. Stephen Lynchs' office call. Plus an old friend of Ted Kennedy. Thanks to them , Expanded Access was kept open , until Sept. 6th, 2011.
We wouldnt be having to have this discussion except for This FDA. But everything happens for a reason, and it brought to light how Big Business Selling Medicine needs regulation. Past experiences w/ the original herceptin Lottery, denying Stage Iv pts single pt. access, even current med . shortages ( because theres no $ in generics ) , all point to the need for some regulation.
We are not anti-business , or anti- govt, but pro-patient !
Old 12-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
ElaineM

Wink Re: FDA Blocks Life-Saving Cancer Drug Rally

Have you read the book "The Making of Herceptin" or watched the movie "Living Proof" about what it took to get Herceptin approved? It took many years of struggles to get Herceptin approved. It might be a good idea to read the book or see the movie for background information since Herceptin is part of T DM1.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
schoonder

On subject of T-DM1, I find it hard to believe that insufficient interim data has been collected so far from two phase II trials and three phase III trials for FDA to make a provisional approval decision, while subject trials continue to provide input into final approval package.
Of course letters from Breast Cancer Action group that imply Genentech is looking for a quick out, circumvent approval process by use a so called expanded access trial in lieu of proper phase III testing and BCA's insistance that conduct of mandatory phase III trials are all incluse and have last touches put upon before final decision is made, surely don't help this issue.
http://archive.bcaction.org/index.ph...-fast-tracking
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
KDR

Go, Phil! And thank you! You know I am behind you and Lorraine all the way! Go, Phil!
The members I know and conversate with here think you are amazing--and I told you that during our own conversation this weekend...we all sincerely thank you for what you've done for this cause.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
annmask

I agree that the lack of support from advocacy groups for us stage 4 folks is really upsetting. Their explanation refers to the problem of women in the late 90's being given radical stem cell transplant therapy due to early trial results. As we know now, those poor souls suffered horribly with no benefit regarding survival. The quality of life issue is the opposite here with new targeted therapies that take so long to reach patients. I get so depressed when I read about new exciting research that end with "we hope to get this to patients in 5-10 years." We do not have 5-10 years, and we are not throw always! We matter!
annmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Jackie07

Received a reply today from the Congressman of our district:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) drug approval and oversight responsibilities. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments.

While I understand your concerns, Congress does not have primary jurisdiction over drug approval or revocation. Consequently, you may wish to contact the FDA directly. The Commissioner may be reached at (888) 463-6332 or at the following address:

United States Food and Drug Administration
10903 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, Maryland 20993-0002
http://www.fda.gov

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

United States Senator

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
schoonder

It looks to me Congressman's gracious response wasn't all that helpful, actually it was short on substance. Recommendation to contact FDA directly, the organization responsible for making that inexcusable decision not to review T-DM1 phase II data because not all BC treatments, regardless of her2+ status were accounted for, in hope to see decision overturned, borders on nonsensical.
A much better response would've been if Congressman had asked the FDA Oversight Subcommittee to have a look at this far reaching ruling, which may well have its roots in regulations that haven't been revised to account for state-of-the-art, targeted drugs, high in efficacy, low in toxic side effects.
://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Oversight_Subcommittee_on_Heal th_Care,_District_of_Columbia,_Census_and_the_Nati onal_Archives
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
phil

jackie : sounds like a" bureaucratic brush-off " from your Congressman/woman. Condescending in that obviously we know they dont have " operational " control. Their HELP Committee has over-sight, and has known about this problem for a yr., and done NOTHING !
I would call the no., ( or e-mail her at margaret.hamburg@fda.hhs.gov ). Ask her if shes seen Lorraine on the youtube video. We would be happy to meet with her in person, anytime.
We meet with our Regional HHS Director next week. Hope to get a meeting in DC with Sec. Sebelius, the FDAs' boss.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
fullofbeans

Go Phil!

With the increased speed of scientific discovery:it is time to change regulation for stage 4 patients indeed. There is no sense of emergency.

I also agree there is a complete disregard from the charities and perhaps this is due to the fact that things have been changing fast in the last decade and they have not yet caught on.

Her2 is the most studied target, all scientists agree about the need to combine it for greater effect..yet..years are passing.. the thing is that many oncologists/medical profession are also getting frustrated at this.

A targeted organised campaign is in order worldwide.

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
fullofbeans

Phil,

What regulations would like to campaign for exactly?

PS: petition signed.

35 y/o
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..

Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
fullofbeans

Being the devil's advocat: Another example that may be used although I do think that Tdm1 has much more proof..

..should there be new regulation for people that have exhausted standard therapy..or say third line therapy..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemtuzumab_ozogamicin

Gemtuzumab ozogamicin (marketed by Wyeth as Mylotarg) is a drug-linked monoclonal antibody that was used to treat acute myelogenous leukemia from 2000-2010. It was withdrawn from market in June 2010 when a clinical trial showed the drug increased patient death and added no benefit over conventional cancer therapies.

Gemtuzumab is a monoclonal antibody to CD33 linked to a cytotoxic agent from the class of calicheamicins. CD33 is expressed in most leukemic blast cells but also in normal hematopoietic cells, the intensity diminishing with maturation of stem cells. In the United States, it was approved under an accelerated-approval process by the FDA in 2000 for use in patients over the age of 60 with relapsed acute myelogenous leukemia (AML); or those who are not considered candidates for standard chemotherapy.[1]

35 y/o
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09

Last edited by fullofbeans; 02-09-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
phil

My primary focus roght now is to get t dm-1 approved. It would be " nice " if Genentechs top execs would give compassionate use to Stage IV Her2 pts in the meantime. They know what a powerful drug they have.
Then we can focus on changing The Crooked System. get rid of Dr. Pazdur and his top advisers. They are blind scientitists. So invested in being " scientiific " that they are " un-scientific ", so " rational " that they are " irrational ". T DM-1 will be their stumbling block. Science is known for its blunders as much as its successes.
I havent fully thought out systemic changes, but I would start w/ giving Stage IV pts Flexibility, expanded access at all Phase of testing , especialy Phase III , 14 day wash-outs to get in, flexible tx planning while your in the access program. , give extra time for counts to rebound, lower or raise doses , etc. Do your rigid trial testing with earler Stage pts., . Sign Informed Choice Consents. Take away some of This FDA's power to decide For Us " Benefits vs. Risks '. We Decide !
Then I would focus on this Racket called " Single Pt. Access, or so-called " compassionate use ". Right now its a Con, a Cop-out by This FDA. They wont talk w/ Pts, tell us " Have your doc contact the pharm. co, if the co. says ok, have them contact us ". Putting us at the mercy of Global For-Profit Companies ! And docs who are conservative by training, reluctant to take risks, relutant to challenge Big Pharma, or This FDA . They'll be black-listed from trials. Comp. use is a Fraud !
So, I say change the law, get an FDA that advocates for US, The People ! You will talk to us, and if we are Stage IV , you will approach the Global Mega Corporations for us !
As far as drugs like this G... whatever, I dont know what the pt. death rate was, I do know what the death rate for CML was not so many yrs ago, 100% or close to it ! many drugs have saved lives through accelerated approval, some have not worked. I go with what Lorraine said at the Rally " Give Us a Chance ", an informed chance !