HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2004, 12:38 PM   #1
smith

I'm having a terrible time with my nails. Is anyone else? I've never had great nails, but this is getting awful.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
smith

I'm having a terrible time with my nails. Is anyone else? I've never had great nails, but this is getting awful.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
jojo

I wouldn't say it was from herceptin. Are you taking Taxol? Nails could be affected by Taxol. Take care!
Old 01-24-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
Sheila

WOW...I am havin the same problem and I have attributed it to living in Illinois in the cold winter...maybe it is the Herceptin...I have had 5 treatments!
Sheila
Old 01-25-2004, 08:35 AM   #5
Kathie in NJ

No, I think it is the Navelbine also. I have been on Herceptin over three years and didn't have this problem until the Navelbine was added to the cocktail. They are like paper thin and I can't use them for anything. Maybe we should add something to our diet to counteract this.

Kathie
Old 01-26-2004, 12:25 AM   #6
eleanor

Hey, this is just a thought, but does anyone remember the commercials (we would have been kids) about gelatin (not jello) and how it would strengthen nails???? Usually if nails are weak, it's an internal thing, not external. Maybe that would help. I don't remember the name of the product, just remember it was some type of gelatin. Also, believe it or not, vaseline (petroleum jelly) can be a help. I used it in dry winter months. Just slab it on your hands and nails and then cover with gloves or white (has to be white) sox. It made my nails really strong. I don't know if it would work now, but it's worth a try.
el
Old 01-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #7
Amy

My mom uses something called Horses Hoof (sp), it helps strengthen her nails, since she recently was on a years worth of Herceptin and Taxol.Plus most recently 6 months of Faslodex shots. Another thing that Mayo Clinic recommended recently for her hands is Udder Balm Salve. I can find out the correct name of this.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:00 PM   #8
Lyn

Hi, I know everyone is different, I have been on Herceptin for nearly 2 years and Navelbine for about 12 months. I did not have a problem with my nails. In about October last year my nails kept breaking and splitting it turned out that I had a thyroid problem, now that it is under control my nails are growing healthy again.

Hugs Lyn
Old 01-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #9
Karen

I'm herceptin only, 1 year 5 months. I've had this problem for over a year, started about 4 months after starting Herceptin - maddening!

My splits lead to finger cracks - very, very painful, so many nerves in our fingertips - and I can use up a box of 60 bandaids in a few days, easy. I've been taking Gelatin caps, 10gr, 10-12 a day, for months with a small improvement (am thinking of increasing that). You can get great deals on this at Puritan's pride - they're having a buy 2, get 3 free sale (if I broke a rule naming a company, please excuse me). I mix bag balm and cream antiobiotic as a salve to put under the bandaids.

Also found, after years of searching, Shea Butter hand lotion, helps better than anything I've ever, ever tried. Given to me as a gift, but someone told me it's sold on QVC. Thanks also for the thyroid hint, I'm going to ask for a thyroid test.