HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Lani

Lightbulb must read article --should her2+ breast cancer be divided into ER+ vs ER- subtypes

they quote different patterns of spread, patterns of recurrence etc

I have advocated this for over eight years and expect, as usual, there will turn out to be subtypes of subtypes

http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/content/24/2/283.full
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Ellie F

Re: must read article --should her2+ breast cancer be divided into ER+ vs ER- subtype

Thanks Lani
I guess it's the not knowing that makes oncologists cautious about predicting how individual breast cancers will behave. Set aside with individual immune responses the puzzle is very complex indeed!
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
roz123

Re: must read article --should her2+ breast cancer be divided into ER+ vs ER- subtype

hmmm...interesting, and scary
im triple positive so it looks like the "5yr" magic mark doesn't apply to me
and my pcr was giving me some comfort but again, as a triple positive seems its not as big a prognostic indicator which would mean those pesky cancer cells driven by hormones are the culprit I guess (over the her2) ?
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
europa

Yup....this article scared the crap out of me. I thought I was lucky to be triple positive as I had one more thing I could throw at this crap.
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Laurel

Europa,

I think you are still in the clear. Only recently I read that an ER of 10% or less does not have much if any response to anti-hormonals and in fact behave as triple negatives or in your case as ER -, PR-, Her2+.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
roz123

im 95% er and pr positive -
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
IrvineFriend

Now I'm more confused by my pathology report (just when it was making sense). I was told I have two different cancers and will be treated for both.

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
caya

Yikes - major +++ here - but going on 7 years out. I figure I gave it my all - mastectomy, chemo, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Femara - and Reclast for my osteoporosis and the double whammy of (hopefully) protecting me from a recurrence. Trying to watch my diet, exercise more and fully intending to drop the weight I gained from the anti-hormonals, now that I finished my 5 year sentence. Also switched all my makeup, body lotions, soaps etc. to Paraben free. Buying organic meat, yes it's expensive, but worth it, IMHO. As of Jan. 1, 2013 I am totally off all refined sugars - I have more energy, really don't crave it. Eat fruit for natural sugar, whole grain, lots of veggies, olive oil, etc. Trying hard...

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!

Last edited by caya; 02-04-2013 at 07:27 PM..
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
sarah

Thanks Lani for posting this very interesting article and of course upsetting to those of us who are ER+. I hope that oncologists will be aware of this and I also wonder what is suggested to lessen the probability of recurrence - they have said to stay on Tamoxifen longer than 5 years and again will people run into protocol problems??? Just when you think it's safe to go in the water again!!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Cathya

Hi; two thing come to mind on reading this article....well three actually. Firstly I think that some form of bone treatment like actonel might help reduce our bone risk. Secondly, Lani recommendation for a bone biopsy is sounding very worthwhile. And thirdly, in the latest John Hopkins issue of Artemis there is a report of a study which identifies a DNA marker which apparently predicts cancer recurrence risk. Here's the link.

http://www.hopkinsbreastcenter.org/a...201302/21.html

I'm going to see if they are expanding this study.

Thanks Lani.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
bejuce

I agree with Karen. I just read the article and it seemed to confirm what I had heard before: ER+ tends to recur more to the bones, ER- tends to recur more to soft tissues, ER+ can recur several years out and ER- tends to recur within 3-5 years.

I think what is clear is that breast cancer is a highly heterogeneous disease with many different genetic characteristics that vary from person to person. Even those of us who are ER+/HER-2+ have different percentages of ER+ that may influence the tumor biology.

What is great about this article is that the medical community is moving towards a greater degree of individualized approaches based on each tumor genetic characteristics. I can't wait to see the day when treatment becomes highly personalized for each one, the day we'll be able to detect cancer from a simple blood test, and the day we'll be able to characterize the genetic signature of each tumor and do a pattern matching to available drugs to determine which ones will be most effective. Some of my wishes seem very close to be granted, others may take many years (but I sure hope they are granted fast!)

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
NEDenise

And, please God...
Could all of Bejuce's wishes come true before anymore of our sisters die.
Please.
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Hopeful

Here is a link to a paper by the same lead author which discusses patterns of recurrence in Her2+ patients based on hormone status: http://breast-cancer-research.com/content/14/5/R129

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #14
Ellie F

Hi everyone
Just want to restate what my onc ALWAYS says to me 'each breast cancer is individual in its make up and equally every immune system is individual in its response'
We just don't yet know why some apparently small tumours recur and some huge ones don't! I find it incredibly frustrating that the research is so slow and at present often all we have is generality.
There is an emerging body of thought that seems to suggest the 'cure' will come from tackling the underlying mechanisms of cancer rather than trying to find a cure for the two hundred or so different solid cancers.
Ellie
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
karen z

Ellie,
Your onc seems wise!
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Ellie F

Thanks Karen I think he is and very passionate about research!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Hopeful

This must be a VERY popular topic for research right now - here is another paper than is analyzing response to Herceptin. The study was twofold, looking for response to Herceptin based on a protien (mRNA) for Her2+ and a subset analysis based on ER positivity:

HER2 and ESR1 mRNA expression levels and response to neoadjuvant trastuzumab plus chemotherapy in patients with primary breast cancer

http://breast-cancer-research.com/co...df/bcr3384.pdf

Of interest, beginning at page 10:

Our investigation shows that in hormone receptor-positive tumors the response to neoadjuvant treatment with trastuzumab plus anthracyline-taxane chemotherapy is driven by the degree of HER2 mRNA expression. This phenomenon could not be observed in the hormone receptor negative subset. Interestingly, Soon Paik’s group has described a similar finding in the adjuvant setting. While their full paper is not published yet, a summary of their results has been included in the recent St. Gallen recommendations: "An interesting STEPP analysis from the adjuvant trastuzumab NSABP B-31 trial examined the degree of HER2 mRNA expression and corresponding trastuzumab benefit separately for patients with estrogen receptor-positive and estrogen receptor-negative disease. The striking finding was that among patients with estrogen receptor-positive disease, trastuzumab benefit in terms of 8-year disease-free survival was entirely confined to those with the higher levels of HER2 mRNA expression."

Similar to these findings in the adjuvant setting, there is a considerable difference in our neoadjuvant study between ESR1pos/HER2pos and ESR1neg/HER2pos tumors. For ESR1neg/HER2pos tumors the amount of HER2 mRNA is not further relevant for response once a tumor is in the HER2-positive group. mRNA levels of HER2 have a dichotomous distribution and HER2can be used as a categorical parameter in this group.

For ESR1pos/HER2pos tumors the situation is different: HER2 mRNA has a more continuous distribution and the response to neoadjuvant trastuzumab/chemotherapy rises continuously with the amount of HER2 mRNA within the HER2-positive tumor group. This suggests that those luminal tumors with a higher activity of the HER2 pathway (measured as increased mRNA levels) are more dependent on this pathway and thus more responsive to trastuzumab targeted therapy. This finding is supported by the STEPP analysis and we observe the same effect with the classical approach of logistic regression, which also shows a significant effect of HER2 mRNA levels (measured as a continuous variable) on pCR only in the ESR1pos/HER2pos group. The traditional method of HER2 SISH ratio or copy number was not able to provide a similar result by STEPP or logistic regression, similar to the finding in the adjuvant HERA trial.

The relevance of a crosstalk between the estrogen receptor pathway and the HER2 pathway has been described in several in vitro cell culture and animal models, AIB-1 as well as PAX2 have been identified as relevant mediators of this crosstalk.The hypothesis derived from those investigations and our results would be that two important growth factor pathways significantly influence ESR1pos/HER2pos tumors and either HER2 or ER may be the driver of cell proliferation and survival. With sustained HER2 inhibition ER could function as a key escape or survival pathway, which may result in resistance to trastuzumab. However when HER2 mRNA expression is very high the primary driver of proliferation may still be the HER2 pathway even in the presence of the activated ER pathway. These findings are consistent with two neoadjuvant trials where a significantly lower pCR rates were observed in ERpos/HERpos tumors compared to ERneg/HER2pos disease. However in a recently reported neoadjuvant trial response rates to anti-HER2 treatment with lapatinib and trastuzumab (without chemotherapy) were fairly high (pCR 21%) when combined with endocrine treatment if hormone receptors were present. As in the adjuvant setting trastuzumab or lapatinib therapy (in contrast to the neoadjuvant approach) is usually combined with endocrine therapy in the HR-positive group, the combined inhibition of both pathways is already clinical practice. It would be interesting to further evaluate the contribution of the endocrine therapy to outcome in ESR1pos/Her2pos tumors.

Hopeful

Last edited by Hopeful; 02-07-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
CarolineC

Almost three years ago when I was to start Tamoxifen I had alot of questions-I had been reading about the cross-talk between the receptors,that Tamoxifen could possibly fuel the Her2 part back up, how some patients couldn't metabolize it, and I asked to be tested to see if I could metabolize it. I was told this was the protocol for pre-menopausal women and that the test was unproven. I started it with alot of reservations and hoped for the best.

After finishing my protocol in Nov of 2010 for early stage and dropping the Herceptin, I noticed within months some symptoms like dizziness, swelling on the mastectomy side, itching where the original tumour had been,my seatbelt would bother me, and my bra was feeling uncomfortable. I didn't have baseline TM's done as soon as the Herceptin was finished, but about 4 months later in March, when I believe things were stirring up. A few months later my CEA had doubled and I questioned my onc about it, who said he wasn't worried about it and that TM's are not diagnostic. I said I knew that they weren't diagnostic, but could be a helpful monitoring tool, and that "if you're not worried, I'm not worried". In April of that year I even saw a clinical trial doctor because I was interested in the Neratinib trial and he said I had a 10% chance of recurrence.

At the end of August my brother-in-law hugged me at a family function and it felt like I had been crushed and I was in alot of pain. An X-ray in Sept didn't show anything, but I kept persisting, especially after I talked to my onc's nurse at the larger centre where I also have been treated. She suggested a bone scan which my local onc wouldn't order because he thought I had costochondritis, an inflammation of the chest, but my gp ordered it. And it revealed a 3cm sternal lesion, and I was taken off Tamoxifen right away (that made me think someone somewhere knows something) and put on Letrozole. (when I had asked about my hormone levels a few months earlier and whether I was post-menopausal the local onc said that my numbers were still pre-menopausal) It was a farce, a comedy of errors, a nightmare, I felt like there were clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right and when I saw the larger centre onc (because I underwent rads AGAIN) I said I was mad that I was another statistic of recurrence on Tamoxifen. My CEA at that time went up to 25 (normal 0-5) and the 15-3 was 40 (normal up to 30). NOW we were looking at the TM's.

After having rads, being on Letrozole for 3 months and 6 MORE chemo rounds this time of Docetaxel and Herceptin (complete with a 3 day hospital stay after the first round with all the time to myself as I was put on reverse isolation) my TM's were CEA 2 and 15-3 of 6. The oncs said not to have the anti-hormonal but to save it for later. Against my better judgment, again, I held off on the Letrozole until my CEA went up to 5 in Nov. Then it went to 6, and now 7. I had also been having headaches, pelvic cramps, and backaches, like I was either going fully into or coming out of menopause and my estrogen levels which had been below normal for two years, were registering a number, even though it was still low. These might not sound like high numbers but for me it can show something is up. I am hoping the Letrozole will take effect soon, but it's only been a few months, and the first time I was riding the wave of having been on Tamoxifen, which was probably effective when I was also having the Herceptin-each medicine was keeping its receptors in check.

I am also looking into something my naturopath said about my lacking an enzyme to help me metabolize hormones in a benign liver condition called Gilbert's Syndrome, which I was diagnosed with in my mid 20's-the doctors initially thought I had hepatitis. I found an abstract on a study done last year -and thank you so much Lani for sending me the full article!- and found that researchers are hypothesizing on whether Gilbert's Syndrome is a new risk factor for breast cancer because patients lack an enzyme that helps to metabolize 4OH estrogen.....then I found, after searching and just googling "Tamoxifen and Gilbert's Syndrome" in a liver cancer book, that patients should use extra caution when having Tamoxifen therapy.....

I am trying to be a patient patient but it is hard, and I am having a hard time trusting doctors' opinions, although some of my medical team does listen. I so envy those of you who have a team who works with and looks out for you! I also don't want to freak anyone out, if I haven't already. Be informed, listen to your body. Possibly have yourself tested by the company that rhondalea has suggested.

I know the research will start to show that ER+, Her2+ patients should be on a dual blockade of medicine so they can each do their job effectively, or that ovarian suppression by oophrectomy or chemicals will also be effective. I know someone who was diagnosed with Stage IV liver mets from the beginning. She was put on Tamoxifen and Herceptin (she also takes supplements) and 5 years later they cannot find the mets. Based on these studies I don't understand how it went to her liver because she was ER+- maybe she had less of a positivity for ER and I had 90%, alot, and it did go to my bones. I believe the positivity will have a factor as well.

Anyway, thanks for reading my take on this situation. I only hope to help anyone else who may be having the same dilemma, and maybe those people won't have to go through the nightmare that I (and my family) have been going through.
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
europa

Thank you for this article. I have been wondering if I should even be on Tamoxifen since I only had 10% ER+ in my tumor. My Onc keeps telling me that it can prevent a recurrence but from what I keep reading it sounds like it can give HER2+ cells fuel. I'm 38 and ma pre menopausal. How does one test to see if they are metabolizing Tamoxifen or not?
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
CarolineC

Europa,

Rhondalea posted on Feb 1 about a test to see if you're a poor, intermediate, or extensive metabolizer and had information on a website-maybe she can add more info. Discuss with your onc the results, if any, on the Suppression of Ovarion Function Trial (SOFT) and if he/she is open to the test for CYP2D6. That is the test I asked to have, but was told it isn't proven, however it is now in a clinical trial at the BC Cancer Agency.

Before you get too far into the Tamoxifen treatment, since you have just finished Herceptin, ask to have your hormone levels checked as a baseline, and have them checked every 3 months. I think Becky suggested that in one of her posts. See if your onc is also open to you having your TM's checked.
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote