HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
Paul

Dear Gray

Thank you for the kind words. By way of introduction I am an international finance attorney. My mother is a HER-2 breast cancer survivor. In addition I am a former Vice President and board member of the HER-2 Support Group and created the first HER-2 Support Group newsletter.

I am not a doctor nor do I have any medical background. But " I can read and I'm an information advocate as ""information is power."" By way of example" my proactive position papers have caused my mom's oncologists to change treatment strategy twice based upon findings set forth in various studies.

I found that most practicing oncologists are open to discussing new information and treatments as long as you come at the issue appropriately " and after having conducted considerable due diligence. This fact is especially relevant given the fact that there are very few oncologist who are dedicated solely to the treatment of breast cancer. The number of oncologists who are dedicated solely to the treatment of HER-2 positive breast cancer is even slimmer.

Such actions are the equivalent of ""doing your homework."" I believe that each patient (or caregiver(s))" to the extent possible " should create a treatment strategy position paper and provide it to their doctor for review and comment. This approach is known as ""Socratic Method"" -- that is" more minds directed at a problem create better solutions.

My posts are the result of a considerable amount of reading and research performed over a two year period with respect to HER-2 breast cancer. I've been approached to work on two separate HER-2 breast cancer projects and hope to make them publicly available in the near future.

Again thank you for your kind comments. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have further questions. I want to wish you great success with respect to your breast cancer treatment as you move forward.