HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Breast Cancer Meeting Highlights
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Breast Cancer Meeting Highlights News fro recent ASCO and San Antonio Meetings

Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Hopeful

Cognitive Effects of Endocrine Therapy in Patients with Breast Cancer

Abstract:

http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs1...u=SABCS10L_310

Poster:

http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs1...hp?nu=P5-11-16

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
imdavidson

Re: Cognitive Effects of Endocrine Therapy in Patients with Breast Cancer

Hopeful, this is very interesting. Several studies have looked at how estrogen protects brain cells. Even in the womb, estrogen is vital to developing a healthy brain.

So if estrogen is good for the brain, the question is, what happens when people go on anti-hormonal drugs that deplete their bodies of estrogen. This is a topic of study as well for my co-author (Dr. Silverman at UCLA). He was one of the first researchers to use brain imaging to study how chemotherapy with and without tamoxifen affected memory. He found that breast cancer survivors who had been on both chemo plus tamoxifen were more impaired in certain areas than others who had been on chemo alone.

It makes sense that the aromatase-inhibitor group in this study you posted would perform worse on cognitive tests than the tamoxifen group (specifically looking at attention) because AIs tend to be more potent than tamoxifen in blocking estrogen (tamoxifen works by blocking the uptake of estrogen into cancer cells but AIs stop the body from producing estrogen in the first place).

Thanks so much for the link. I've printed out this study and will save it.
Co-author (with Dr. Dan Silverman at UCLA) of "Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus" (Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2009). Amazon. www.YourBrainAfterChemo.com.

ER/PR negative/HER-2 positive
imdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Jackie07

Idelle has sent the following information to subscribers of 'Your brain after chemo':

Were you recently treated for breast cancer? Do you feel that you have problems with memory and concentration since your breast cancer treatments?

Purpose of study:

In this research study, the aim is to evaluate the effectiveness of a rehabilitation group intervention program for breast cancer survivors who are complaining of memory loss and concentration associated with cancer treatments.

What does the study involve?

Visits to UCLA -- if you choose to take part in the research study, we will ask you to come to UCLA for an initial baseline visit, then once a week for a 5-week group intervention. We will then ask you to return for 2 more follow-up visits: a week or two after the group intervention has ended, then 2 months later. The first visit will take about three hours, the group intervention visits are 2 hours each, and the follow-up visits will take approximately 2.5 hours each. You will be mailed a survey questionnaire to complete at your home before your baseline and follow-up visits.

Taking part in a procedure called quantitative electroencephalography (QEEG). An EEG is a test that measures the electrical activity of the brain. The purpose of QEEG is to determine whether or not we can detect EEG patterns associated with cognitive complaints after breast cancer. This procedure will be conducted at 3 time points in the study.

In this study, half of the women will be assigned by chance to participate immediately in the rehabilitation group intervention program and half will be assigned to a wait-list control group. This type of randomized study is necessary to scientifically prove that something is effective. The wait-list control group will also be able to participate in the group intervention, but not until after all the visits have been completed.

Project highlights

About 60 women will take part in the study
All visits will be held at UCLA and are free to study participants
Funding has been provided by the Breast Cancer Research Foundation

Who is conducting the study?

- Patricia Ganz, M.D., UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Linda Ercoli, Ph.D., UCLA Semel Institute
- Steven Castellon, Ph.D., UCLA Semel Institute
- Andrew Leuchter, M.D., UCLA Semel Institute

For more information: (310) 825-2520

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
imdavidson

Jackie,

Thanks so much for posting this notice. Yes, they need 60 participants so I hope people will consider enrolling if they live in the L.A. area and have post-treatment memory or other cognitive issues.
Co-author (with Dr. Dan Silverman at UCLA) of "Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus" (Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2009). Amazon. www.YourBrainAfterChemo.com.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Jackie07

Attention LA residents...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Old 07-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Jackie07

Thought the following book description and reviews are interesting (and might be related to the topic):

http://www.amazon.com/How-Changes-Yo...ref=pd_sim_b_1

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Old 11-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
embur102

Just one more reason why I wish I lived in Southern Cal.

My brain is going to be mush after chemo AND AIs. lol
embur102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
imdavidson

Jackie, that book, "How God Changes Your Brain," sounds so interesting! I suspect it's more about the positive effects of being spiritual rather than religious and the authors are right about meditation. Studies really do show a positive correlation between meditating and a clearer mind. Glad to know about it, thanks!