HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Caregivers Corner
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Caregivers Corner Dedicated to those who support their loved ones.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Kellennea

What do we do now?

Hi - Ive never posted on this particular board but I am looking for advice and thought this would be the best place to find it.

My AMAZING husband was my primary caregiver while I was going through surgery, treatment and everything that goes along with it. He gave up a lot to go through everything with me. He never missed any appointments, chemo days or surgeries.

I am 2 years out and seem to be doing well (I just graduated to 4 month check-ins with my oncologist ) I want our life to go back to how it was before (and I know that isnt 100% possible because this has turned us into 2 different people) but trying to get some kind of normalcy back is important to me. I feel like I owe that to him. The problem is that we seem to have grown apart in some small way. I asked him about it and he said " Things are different, you want to bounce back to the life we had before and I am standing here thinking, what just happened? I can't just turn off the fear and anxiety".

Whoa. I guess shame on me, because I didnt take into consideration ALL the feelings he would be feeling. Now I feel like crap and maybe a little selfish to want to move on and try and put this behind us.

Any caregivers advice? Please?

Some history: we were married in 2009, we miscarried in 2010 and then I was diagnosed 2 months later, 9 days before our first year anniversary... and for the rest of our marriage we've been fighting cancer. Not your storybook newlywed story. Now that I am better, I really want to give him those years back but I feel like he doesnt want them and he is perfectly comfortable where we are right now.
11/3/10 -2.5cm tumor removed via lumpectomy, clear margins. sentinal node biopsy - nodes clear!
12/2/10 - port placement
12/2/10 to 3/17/11 - 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin every 3rd week.
04/20/11 - 6/6/11 - 33 rounds of radiation
4/6/11 to 11/2/11 - 11 additional rounds of herceptin every 3rd week
7/15/11 - port removal
7/5/11 started my 5 year journey on Tamoxifen
9/4/11 -1 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
9/5/12 -2 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
8/29/12 - Started spotting after being in chemopause 1.5 years. Ultra sound detected 6cm ovary mass & very thick lining. YIKES! Taken off Tamoxifen
9/6/12 - Full abdominal hysterectomy. Pathology report came back clean... thank you baby Jesus!!
9/28/12 - Started Anastrozole
Kellennea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
lasarles

Re: What do we do now?

Unfortunately, we can not change what has already happened. It is part of our story now. Our experiences make us who we are, for better or worse. We do forget that our husbands/loved ones are going through their own fears. Things will never be the same as they were, but why can't they be better? Make this a new chapter with new memories. We cannot let fear rob us! We live about 50 miles from the city and I was struggling with the idea of the drive for my 30 radiation treatments. Trying to be realistic, I said to my husband "I could go through all of this and still die a year from now". He replied "you could be killed in a car accident tomorrow". He is so right. Chances are I will die from something other than cancer. My point is, none of us are promised tomorrow, but we cannot live in fear. Make the most of today and let us all remember the saying " It is better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.
3/13/12 44th Birthday, Mammogram, Ultrasound.
3/15/12 Needle Biopsy on Lump and Suspicious Node.
3/20/12 Dreadful "C" Word.
ER90% PR90% Her2+
1 cm, IDC, Stage 1, Grade 2
4/19/12 Portecath, Lumpectomy & Sentinel Node Removal. 0/4 Node Involvement...Yea!!
Margins Clear......Yea!!
5/17/12 Chemo Begins. TCH x 4.
Herceptin Weekly x 4, every 3 wks thereafter for 1 yr. Muga Scans every 3 mos.
8/13/12 Rads x 30
9/24/12 Start Tamoxifen
10/22/12 CT/Whole Body Bone Scan. No Cancer Detected......Yea!
1/31/13 Annual Mammogram and Ultrasound....NED....:)
5/23/13 Final Herceptin Appt
6/25/13 Port Removal
5/2017 Stop Tamoxifen Start Arimadex
lasarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Becky

I think we do forget about those who care for and support us.

You have been given some good advice. I think you both need to realize that your whole married life was one struggle (the miscarriage) after another - having such a sorrow and not be able to get thru that fully only for you to be diagnosed with cancer.

Your husband lost his child and then struggled (and struggles) that he will lose his wife too. He is afraid to be happy because his happiness ended so abruptly.

I am sure you can also understand his pain.

Start slowly with new memories. And I hate to sound like Ann Landers, but perhaps a few couples therapy sessions will help too. You will get thru this bump. He just needs proof that his happiness will stay and it will!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
chekmark

I sent you a pm but not sure it sent properly, it gave me a stupid message after I wrote this huge novel for you. Geez. Let me know. I am here for you. I recently struggled with the same issues but it was me that said it was different. We sat down and discussed alot of things and he opened my eyes to what he was feeling as well, we are not getting reaquainted and starting over again and finding that each day is getting back to normal. I said all of this in my message so I hope you got. Just another hurdle.
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Kellennea

Good advice all around.

Lasarles - my oncologist said the same thing to me about getting in a car accident, totally put things into perspective!

Becky - I have suggested therapy, and he isnt interested. I decided that I could always start with me, so I am in the process of finding a good therapist.

Darlene - I didnt get your message Maybe I am in a little bit of denial about things being different, because I want them to be "normal" so bad. Grrrrrrr. I need to keep my ears open and pay better attention!
11/3/10 -2.5cm tumor removed via lumpectomy, clear margins. sentinal node biopsy - nodes clear!
12/2/10 - port placement
12/2/10 to 3/17/11 - 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin every 3rd week.
7/15/11 - port removal
8/29/12 - Started spotting after being in chemopause 1.5 years. Ultra sound detected 6cm ovary mass & very thick lining. YIKES! Taken off Tamoxifen
9/6/12 - Full abdominal hysterectomy. Pathology report came back clean... thank you baby Jesus!!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
jacqueline1102

When I was diagnosed I felt incredible guilt and shame. I was used to being the "go to" person and being in the "sick" role was difficult and still is. I had only been married 3 months when I was diagnosed with Stage IV Inflammatory breast cancer. Our lives are not the same and never will be. It is what it is. My husband and I talk about it even if it makes him sad and uncomfortable. The trauma of the disease and the losses that you have had are indeed difficult for you and him. If he will not accompany you to counseling, you could read some books together if he would be open to it. Oftentimes, the person diagnosed with the disease barrels through the treatment, whereas the family members are still left reeling. If your husband is still in the thought process of losing you, connecting intimately physically or emotionally will be challenging for him. There is a ton of material on the subject of cancer and marriage. The trauma of losing your child is yet another trauma. In the field of mental health there is such a term as complicated grief. This may be coming up now that you are both in place of physical strength which can allow the difficult but necessary work of emotionally healing.

Take care,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
evergreen

Everyone handles these issues so differently.... in my situation, my husband is able to move forward, and I awake very morning with a sense of dread, which gets better once I get busy.
I agree given your past circumstances, that counsellig nwould be helpful. He sounds like a peach, and deserves to enjoy his time with you....
Eating foods thought to fight cancer, exercising every other day,using my garden as my mecca of peace, and loving my supportive husband more than ever.
evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Razzleberry

Hi ... I wanted to respond to your post because we have a lot in common. We got married in December 28th, 2012 and less than three months later I was diagnosed. We were wanted to get pregnant and had gone to the doctor for a checkup because we are in our 40's. I was 44. For our whole marriage we have been fighting this cancer. My husband was also really supportive and made it to every appointment, chemo, radiation, and Herceptin treatment.

I don't think we have grown apart but your post is a reminder to me to try and stay close. Just one week before my last Herceptin treatment, my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer. Her cancer is Stage 3. She lives with us and we are about to go through chemo again with her (she will be going through chemo).

It sounds like you are married to a really good man. You have been through so much with the miscarriage that maybe you did not even have time to grieve before your cancer diagnosis.

I do not know that I have any advice other than to say it is really sad you (and we) can not get back the time we lost while dealing with this cancer. It is also sad that so far you (and we) have not had the traditionally newlywed life. We spent our first anniversary in the hospital at a Herceptin appointment.

BUT, the whole future is ahead so seize every day. Maybe go on a couples weekend retreat, Valentine's is coming up ... working out together is always nice and enjoying the outdoors, doing projects around the house ... sipping tea in coffee shops ... waffles on Sunday mornings (we are doing this) ...

Hang in there, believe, and love ...

Rose
Razzleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
MJsHusband

Kellennea,
Some good advice has been given here. I'm still trying to figure out how to get back to "normal", the way we were before the diagnosis. I'm not sure that's possible, as this experience changes everyone involved. I have the same fear and anxiety your husband experiences. I don't let it show because I feel guilty for feeling that way when I'm not the one with bc and shouldn't complain. I will take some of this advice and try to apply it to our life as well. Rose's previous comment about couples weekend retreats and actively trying to do things as a couple is something we definitely need to start doing (now I'm craving waffles, lol). We both work full time and have 4 kids from previous marriages living with us (ages 10-17) so getting that time alone can be a challenge, but needs to be done.

08/10 ~ Dx IBC, Her2+++ ER-/PR- Stage 4, mets to liver. Age 43.
08/10 ~ Began 12 weeks of Taxetere/Carboplatin/Herceptin tx
[10/10 ~ Scans show liver lesions are gone. NED!
11/10 ~ Ended chemo. Herceptin-only tx
01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation
07/11 ~ Reconstructive surgery
10/11 ~ PET/CT shows NED :)
01/12 ~ Malignant tumors found in uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and lymph nodes. Dx as endometrial cancer. Stage III2c
02/12 ~Hysterectomy(all tumors removed). Back to NED.
02/12 ~ Final Herceptin treatment.
03/12 ~ Began Cisplatin/Adriamycin tx for endometrial cancer.
03/12 ~ Tumors dx her2 metastisis, not entdometrial cancer. Back to BC tx.
03/12 ~ CT scan shows NED. :)
04/12/~ Began Tykerb/Xeloda.
06/12 ~ Ended Xeloda. Continuing Tykerb. Still NED.
09/12 ~ PET/CT scans show NED. : )
04/13 ~ Rash on original breast biopsied as cancer.
05/13 ~ Surgery to remove skin and tissue around rash. Continue Tykerb.
06/13 ~ PET/CT scans show NED : )
11/13 ~ Jaundice eyes and skin. CT scan show mets to liver as well as peritoneal carcinomatosis with malignant ascites. Began Abraxane/Herceptin tx.
02/14 ~ CT scan shows NED. :)

MJsHusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Razzleberry

By the way, I just realized I posted our wrong wedding date! It was December 28th, 2010 (not 2012) .....

04/15/2011: Diagnosis
05/18/2011: Lumpectomy
06/08/2011: Sentinal Node Biopsy, lost two nodes
08/15/2011: IVF 2 Embryos through Fertile Hope (LIVESTRONG)
08/24/2011: Port install
08/29/2011: Started Chemo
11/01/2011: Finished Chemo
11/13/11-01/13/12: Radiation
11/22/11-11/22/12: Herceptin
Razzleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
Jackie07

Kelleanea,

How are things going with you?

Somehow missed this thread when it was posted.

Your husband might have been depressed. In between me and my husband we've had six surgeries in a 20 years span. After his mother passed away from Alzheimer's and my 2nd bout of breast cancer, he finally told his family doctor and received a referral to a psychiatrist who prescribed some counseling sessions.

When that wasn't enough, he began to take very low dose anti-depressant. Turned out his family (from his Father's side of Scandivanian roots) has the depression tendency. Maybe people didn't get enough sunlight in that region. With regular exercise and the low dose antidepressant, he's been doing much better.

If your husband wouldn't go to counseling, it might be worthwhile to go by yourself. A professional counselor could help you sort things out and give you some good tips.

Communication is a two way street. Sometimes we just have to be patient and tactful...

I often laugh that even though I was the one going through multiple cancer treatments, family members around me are the ones that were falling apart. (My 2nd Sister literally went 'nuts' when she came from overseas to help take care of me in 2007. Fortunately her husband wanted her to go home when she was planning to stay longer...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-18-2013 at 05:09 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
Dylanemmalexbenj

Cool Re: What do we do now?

Hi Kelleanea.

You guys are going to be OK. We're coming from different angles, but I can tell there's alot going for you guys.

-First of all, 2 years free is AWESOME!!!

My wife and I are just starting out on this journey really - we've been together for about 15 years, but the cancer has only been since the first "Hmm, what's that lump?" in November 2012. Double mastectomy, reconstruction on the right, tissue expander on the left. Her first dose of chemo (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin, then neulasta) is tomorrow. We're both doctors, so we know that side of the conversation - the reality of medical literature, data, studies - all of which are good, but only help so much when your own fears and anxieties feel more real then the things you know. I lost my dad in December to cancer after 5 years of hell, so it was really on the brain when we found out.

We have 4 young kids, and they help stabilize our home through collective insanity and love. We've got family close, and others if not close, near an airport. But we don't have what you guys have.

Just each other.

Don't try to go back to the way things were before. Move on to the way you and he want things to be now. Travel. Explore the world. Take dance lessions together. Go to concerts every weekend. Whatever - do it together, and concentrate on the future you have together. Use the solid rock of a foundation you have already achieved through this experience, and build on it. When you and he are concentrating on the good things of your life now, it will help let go of the fear about what may lie around the next corner.

I may be going out on a limb, but I'll say this. It may be because for the past 7 years we've had kids all over the place day and night, but here's my advice. Have good sex! Often! Your body is the way you see it and feel it, not the surgeries. It may not be exactly the same as you remember, but inside you're still you, he's still him, and you guys have still got some honeymooning to do! It's about that love and attraction that got you two hooked up in the first place. Remember how to be close to each other, and then just take it from there.

Don't think about giving years back, look at the time you've got now. Counseling can definitely help, and there is a time and place for medicine.

How are you? post back. there has been alot of good advice posted up here, and you've got LOTS of sisters and brothers out there that care.
Dylanemmalexbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Kellennea

Such wonderful replies. Thank you. Ive been "away" for a while because things became gradually worse.

On 12/21 my husband told me he wanted a divorce. I spent the holidays without him, we went about our family visits alone. His family as well as mine was devistated with the news. On 2/14 he filed papers and only one week later on 2/22 our divorce was final.

I spent 2 months reminding him of everything that we have been through together, of the promises that we made to one another, of how he told me, when I lost our child and then was Dx'd with BC that he would rather have me to grow old with then to have a child that he would have to explain everything to and raise alone... but none of it mattered and his mind wasnt changed.

My heart is heavy and instead of "things getting better with time" I am finding that it hurts more and more every day. I am devistated by this. I feel like I've been punched in the stomach. My protecter and biggest supporter is gone, leaving me feeling sorry and apologizing for getting sick and ruining everything for us. I am so embarassed and humiliated that I havent even told anyone, except for close friends and family and my HR department because I also lose my medical and have to apply with my employer.

I may not have lost my life to cancer, but I have lost my "life" to cancer.
12/2/10 - port placement
7/15/11 - port removal
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
chekmark

I am so sorry for what you are going thru and have gone thru but first and foremost you should not feel embarrassed or humiliated. U did not choose to have cancer. I know I cannot say anything to take away your pain but maybe this is a new beginning not an ending. Maybe there was something going on with your husband that he never told you about. Really, a divorce final in a week? Time heals although is doesn't seem like it right now. You have had 3 years from hell, try to focus on positive things. Hang out with positive people and try to have fun. Your knight and shining armor is out there. Please do not blame yourself. It takes two to make a marriage work. My heart is heavy for you cuz I know how much you love him. Take care and we are all here for you. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
NEDenise

Kelly,
I'm so sorry you're hurting. But please don't even for a second think this has anything to do with you getting sick. If that was the deal breaker for him...he wasn't the man you thought you married, and certainly isn't worthy of your love.

You have so much to offer, and so much to live for. I'm hoping and praying that joy and love return to your everyday life quicker than that damn divorce became final!

With love,
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
roz123

I am so sorry to read this...I have always identified with you because we are so close in age and our diagnosis is almost identical

he said he cant just turn off the fear and anxiety yet he expects you too? the person who just went through all the hellish treatments? that fear about the future, anxiety about what just happened needs to be worked out together. Neither person in the relationship will ever be the same - but you are certainly not at fault, you have just been through a LIFE THREATENING illness and yes our relationships suffer and it takes time. Two years is not that long -especially when you were in treatment for half of it.
I agree with Denise - if that was reasoning then he wasn't the man you thought you married
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
pibikay

Exclamation Re: What do we do now?

I think except for my first post I have not made any posting in this section. What do we care givers do when we are tired mentally and physically.
I am 72 and I am finding it a bit tough on my system to give the amount of attention I want to give Hema.I find the mental stress when she is having dioreeah to decide whether to give immodium or not al also pain killers when she is in pain. My tension is that if I rush it may weaken her system. She had her Herceptin and navelbin with zole trust on Thursday .She passed a bit of loose motion. I gave her immodium last night and for the last 24 hrs she has not had any bowel movementsb.Now I am tensed up.
So we must learn to give up our tension .How do I go about it.
All the best
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #18
pibikay

I am sorry I goofed up without fully reading the posts in the thread
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #19
Becky

Oh, I am so sorry this happened to you. There are women on this board who also experienced this. Some their husband left during treatment. They may not respond because many women don't continue to come on the board after treatment is over.

You will survive and thrive. You do have to get over this terrible blow. But you did nothing wrong. One day, your husband will realize what a chump he was. Any other woman in his future will realize he is only there in the good times, not bad and in health and not in sickness. And you weren't even sick anymore but on the way to recovery. You are also almost at the point where the anxiousness starts to go away too.

Give up the bad feelings about yourself. Start being angry and sorry for your ex-husband. You got over cancer and you will get over this too. Time is our friend.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #20
JennyB

I am devastated for you too - what a complete idiot! You know it really does sound like you will be better without him - though I am sure that is hard to digest at the moment.
Be strong, enjoy family time and keep looking forward - just like always for all of us here!
I can't believe how quick the divorce came through - that does not give you any time to process what is happening - how can that be?
Take good care of yourself
Jen x
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote