HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Lani

new immune therapy suggested to improve response to herceptin

Clin Cancer Res. 2011 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print]
TLR2 agonist PSK activates human NK cells and enhances the anti-tumor effect of HER2-targeted monoclonal antibody therapy.
Lu H, Yang Y, Gad E, Inatsuka C, Wenner CA, Disis ML, Standish LJ.
Source
Tumor Vaccine Group, University of Washington.
Abstract
PURPOSE:
The therapeutic effect of trastuzumab monoclonal antibody (mAb) therapy has been shown to be partially dependent on functional NK cells. Novel agents that enhance NK cell function could potentially improve the anti-tumor effect of trastuzumab. We recently identified polysaccharide krestin (PSK), a natural product extracted from medicinal mushroom Trametes Versicolor, as a potent TLR2 agonist. The current study was undertaken to evaluate the effect of PSK on human NK cells and the potential of using PSK to enhance HER2-targeted mAb therapy.

EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN:
Human PBMC were stimulated with PSK to evaluate the effect of PSK on NK cell activation, IFN-gamma production, cytotoxicity, and trastuzumab-mediated ADCC. Whether the effect of PSK on NK cells is direct or indirect was also investigated. Then in vivo experiment in neu transgenic mice was carried out to determine the potential of using PSK to augment the anti-tumor effect of HER2-targeted mAb therapy.

RESULTS:
PSK activated human NK cells to produce IFN-gamma and to lyse K562 target cells. PSK also enhanced trastuzumab-mediated ADCC against SKBR3 and MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells. Both direct and IL-12-dependent indirect effects seem to be involved in the effect of PSK on NK cells. Oral administration of PSK significantly potentiated the anti-tumor effect of anti-HER2/neu mAb therapy in neu-transgenic mice.

CONCLUSIONS:
These results demonstrated that PSK activates human NK cells and potentiates trastuzumab-mediated ADCC. Concurrent treatment of PSK and trastuzumab may be a novel way to augment the anti-tumor effect of trastuzumab.

PMID: 21918170
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: new immune therapy suggested to improve response to herceptin

You've just got to love them mushrooms!
On a serious note I wonder if it applies to other types of mushrooms? In the east mushrooms have long been believed to have value in cancer treatment. A friend of mine's sister is being treated for bc in Japan where she is encouraged to take mushrooms during chemo.

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: new immune therapy suggested to improve response to herceptin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysaccharide-K
The common English name of this mushroom is turkey tail. Supplements can be purchased at many health food stores.I don't know where fresh turkey tail mushrooms can be purchased.
Reishi and maitake are also believed to help the immune system during cancer treatment. Reading that it helps Herceptin is a plus.
Part of the reason I never needed shots for my white blood counts during treatment is because I took supplements containing turkey tail, maitake,reishi and shitake along with echinacea and astragalus. I cook with fresh, dried or frozen mushrooms whenever I can.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.

Last edited by ElaineM; 09-17-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: addition
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Ellie F

I forgot to say that this reseach is from the tumour vaccine group so makes it even more impressive given they are leaders in the field of immunity and bc!

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Unregistered

I have been taking turkey tail for quite some time. I didn't know it could be synergestic with herceptin! That's good news.

If drug companies see that they can make money off of turkey tail mushrooms then there might be more research on it. Money is the bottom line for those creeps.

Mushrooms stimulate the killer cells/immune system. Chemo just about kills them so it's important to get your immune system up and running ASAP.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
chrisy

I agree, various types of mushrooms have lots of data arround this topic, and I do eat and have taken various supplemental forms of mushroom extracts.

Sorry, I don't agree with the characterization of drug companies as "creeps". The cost of doing the type of research and trials needed to gain approval for a drug (multiple millions of $) is not insignificant.

Promising and likely effective natural approaches are caught between a rock and a hard place. Without "proof" the evidence is not always considered valid....yet the cost to do large trials is prohibitive. We as patients have to work harder to seek out and discern when the evidence is valid in the absence of gold standard "proof" of large clinical trials.

But that does not mak the drug companys creeps.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote