HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2006, 04:28 AM   #1
Lani

for those struggling with post-treatment weight gain--good news!

Large series with over 3200 patients participating:

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006 Mar 16; [Epub ahead of print] Links

Post-diagnosis weight gain and breast cancer recurrence in women with early stage breast cancer.

Caan BJ, Emond JA, Natarajan L, Castillo A, Gunderson EP, Habel L, Jones L, Newman VA, Rock CL, Slattery ML, Stefanick ML, Sternfeld B, Thomson CA, Pierce JP.

Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Medical Group, 2000 Broadway, 94612, Oakland, CA, USA, bjc@dor.kaiser.org.

PURPOSE: To examine whether weight gain after diagnosis of breast cancer affects the risk of breast cancer recurrence. PATIENT AND METHODS: Patients included 3215 women diagnosed with early stage breast cancer (Stage I >1 cm., II, and IIIA) who were enrolled either in an observational cohort of breast cancer survivors or were part of the comparison group of a dietary intervention trial to prevent breast cancer recurrence. We computed weight change from 1 year prior to diagnosis to study enrollment. Delayed entry Cox proportional hazards models were used to evaluate associations of categories of weight change with time to recurrence, controlling for known prognostic factors. RESULTS: Neither moderate (5-10%) nor large (> 10%) weight gain (HR 0.8, 95% CI, 0.6-1.1; HR 0.9, 95% CI, 0.7-1.2, respectively) after breast cancer diagnosis was associated with an increased risk of breast cancer recurrence in the early years post-diagnosis (median time of 73.7 months from diagnosis). CONCLUSION: Our research provides evidence that weight gain commonly seen in the first several years following a breast cancer diagnosis does not increase a woman's risk for breast cancer recurrence in the first 5-7 years post-diagnosis. However, this research does not address the effects of weight gain on overall survival or on the risk of other new cancers, other prognostic outcomes of concern to the breast cancer survivor.

PMID: 16541317 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Old 03-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Diane H

Thank you Lani, I am strugging with weight gain and the worry that comes with it. This is good news. I am not going to stop trying to lose the weight but the worry level will come down. Thanks again, Diane
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #3
Barbara

What about Weight Loss

Hi:

It would be interesting to see whether weight loss after diagnosis can lower the reoccurrence rate. The California study on low fat diet and a reduction in reoccurence in ER PR negative patients probably involved weight loss as any diet that reduces fat normally results in consumption of more vegtables and fruits and usually a weight loss.

Barbara
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
madubois63

I find this very interesting. I have always had a little extra "junk in my trunk," and have always dieted off and on. When I was first diagnosed, I had just lost 40 lbs at Weight Watchers and was walking 3 - 5 miles a day and feeling great. Since going on the Tamoxifen, I gained the weight back and now the steroids have not helped at all - yuck. I started seeing a nutritionist a few months back. I already know what to do, I just need to be responsible to someone other than me. I lost a dear friend to BC this past fall. She was thin to begin with, but she lost so much weight after her reoccurrence. In my mind, I have rationalized that I am afraid to loose weight. I feel like the extra weight has helped me through this. If I don't eat for a week, my body has stuff to use. Most days I eat very well low fat meals - but when everyone goes to sleep and I am left alone to think about all this BC crap - oh well...it's not very pretty. I know I need to loose the weight but right now it is my security blanket...any thoughts??? I know I'm nuts, so be nice...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
sassy

I had a friend who recently lost her mother to breast cancer and feels her weight played a hugh factor in her death. Her mom had always been very weight conscious and stayed very fashionable thin. When going thru treatment for breast cancer, she had a diffucult time with sickness, etc and finally quit taking treatments because of that. My friend feels that her Mom just didn't have enough body substance to sustain her thru the treatment. "If there had been more to her, I think she could have made it."

I'm not trying to advocate being overweight or to justify it at all. But I do feel that sometimes a little flesh on the bones may be helpful if one is maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle.

Sassy
________
Web shows

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:43 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
Sherryg683

When I was diagnosed in December I was totally fit and thin. I honestly was in the best physical shape in my life. I lost 5 lbs when I was diagnosed due to stress but then thanks to Taxotere and the steroids, I have put that 5 back on plus an extra 5. I am not fat but it all seems to have deposited around my waist and stomach. I feel like I am 4 months pregnant or something. I have started bringing my Oncologist cakes and pastries on Friday when I see him. I told him if he's going to make me fat, I'm not going to get fat alone..lol. I figure I'll have to get back to working out when I am done and get this weight off , it's just too uncomfortable. I also see gals in chemo who are so thin they look like skeletons, I worry more for them than if they had a few extra pounds on....sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
Sandy H

My oncology nurses are always telling me its better to have some extra in case we do get ill and not able to eat. I have extra and its all around the middle. If fact when I get slacks to fit at the waist then the legs are too big so I just take them in on the sides. I would like to be slim and trim but have never been so why try now. My friends and family think I look great and tell me that all the time. Guess, I should be happy with that. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
sherri

I also had lost 20 lbs just before dx with IBC. I've never been thin but always very fit, because I've been very active all my life. I started to gain weight all of the sudden and then I increased my activity and did a very low calorie diet. My husband thinks I got cancer because I lost the weight so fast, I'm not sure, when I was reading the IBC site, I did find many people who were doing a lot of exercise etc...

Do you think loosing weight and being fitness frick have anything to do with Cancer?
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
DeborahNC

This is an interesting thread.

My neighbor commented yesterday that he's always surprised to see so many cancer patients who are average, thin or fit prior to dx. Thinking of all the other patients at the clinic I can't recall seeing anyone who could be termed obese or more than slightly overweight.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
Unregistered

This is a HUGE and COMPLEX subject.

There are literally thousands of trials on all the weight relates factors, agent proteins genes etc.

At the begining of this journey into the world of fats I thought "they" undestood more or less how it works.

"They" don't. A crude understanding was a term I found yesterday. It is very evident how much is still unknown.

Fats are not just "lard". It is a complete emergency "long" storage system, and short term nutrient control system. The body does not just store fats but hormones etc.

The fats you have stored are what you have eaten and accuately reflect that.

I am convinced that maintaining a reasonable omeg three six balance is fundamanetal. An area that I have not seen much on, but is a question that has occured to me is can the release of fats upset the fat balances. E.g if you have stored high levels of omega six, could a wieght loss program exacerbate a poor omega three six balance. My suggestion on a preventative basis would to consider adding omega three sources particularly oily fish to any weight loss program to allow for release of high six in stored fat and assist with fat burn.

In addition weight loss I guess must equal hormone release, and what sort of shape are long stored fats in?

I thing there are a lot of unanswered questions.

My reading suggests good diet, fibre in pulses, balancing the omega threes and sixes, plently of greens, and fish or fish oil are good starting points.

As usual there are so many unknowns it is best to do some reading on the subject yourselves. There are lots of posts on omega three six etc. on this site as a starting point.

RB
Old 03-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Esther

Madubois, I'm standing right there next to you on this. I hadn't taken the time to really think about it yet. I've been the same weight for most of my life until diagnosed with BC. I gained weight during the initial diagnosis, lost it, and gained it all back while on chemo for mets in early 2004.

I'm still struggling off and on to lose weight, emotionally I really want to lose it but....it seems to be a security blanket for me too.

I hope that you find success with your nutritionist. I'm renewing my commitment to lose weight as well.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
madubois63

At this point, if I fit in to my "SKINNY JEANS" it will be not be a happy/good thing...For once I truly believe the extra weight is a good thing - JMO...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver