HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
jener8er

Dizziness anyone?

Does any else here feel dizzy a large part of the time? When I try to focus on something in the distance then move my head, I get very dizzy. I, of course, am thinking brain stuff, but thought that was more headaches than dizziness. The only thing I'm on right now is Herceptin - could it be a side effect? Thanks for any insight...
4/20+ Lymph nodes
Stage 3a
Age 38, CA
jener8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
athena453

I sometimes feel a little more dizzy also. It is as you describe, more of a spatial orientation dizziness, occurs occasionally. I do think it is Herceptin related.
R prophylactic mast. 3/3/06
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
juanita

I noticed it too, and also noticed that the farther into my year of herceptin I get the more frequent I get this feeling.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
SherriT

I just started Herceptin two days ago so cannot confirm that dizziness is caused from that. I did notice dizziness during my first four treatments (that were without the Herceptin). I am experiencing a touch of dizziness today but do not find it much different than before I started with the Herceptin.
SherriT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
Unregistered

Boy did your topic jump out and catch my attention! I am on my second full chemo...meaning the Herceptin, Taxotere & Carbpotin. The first time around I didn't notice being dizzy at all.

But this second time of my full chemo I was pretty dizzy/off balance the night of my chemo. I had went to bed and got up and had to be real carful as I felt I would almost fall. I didn't understand this since it did NOT happen the first time I did my chemo.

I had to go back to the infusion center the following day for my Neulasta shot so I asked my infusion nurse if being dizzy after this Herceptin or any chemo was normal? She said that she hasn't seen it herself. (I thought...oh great!)

Then the third day in a row I had a second opinion with another oncologist since I don't agree with my current one on some things. So I was still feeling dizzy the third day when I saw this new oncologist and I asked her if she knows of people getting dizzy after the herceptin or other chemo drugs. Again...just like my infusion nurse...she said no...that is NOT usual?

That really concerned me as you can imagine. Now I see YOUR post and now I know I am NOT the only one experiencing this. I had my chemo this last Monday and I do feel a LITTLE better today...but still have to be careful. But the first couple days it was very concerning to me as I did not want to fall. (Plus again...I didn't understand WHY it happened this time and NOT the first time?)

Now this is the sixth day since my chemo and it seems much better. Not as off balance and feel safer walking around. But its hard to explain...I still don't feel quite right balance wise. I am not sure if I could call it a TRUE dizzy as of today...but it was the first couple days.

Anyway...not sure if this helps...but your post helps me because I thought I was the ONLY one after my NEW oncologist and my infusion nurse BOTH told me they had not heard of this before.

I am really sorry to hear you are experiences this...as I know how it feels. But I am so glad you posted about it. I have had problems after herceptin with a crusty, and sometimes bloody nose when I blow it. But this dizzy thing was new to me.

But that being said...I had some serious problems with my first oncologist. Long story. Now he just up and switched me to chemo every three weeks verses the way we were doing it. Which was the Herceptin, Taxotere, & Carbpotin one week...the three weeks of JUST herceptin alone. Now he did this higher loading dose which I am NOT happy about. I was NOT complaining of coming in weekly...and I know its better to do the weekly herceptin. So why he changed me I don't know. So I THOUGHT since he has me coming back this time in three weeks...it was the larger dose of herceptin he gave me? I had no clue.

Are you guys getting weekly herceptin...or every three weeks? When I did the weekly the first time...I did not notice this problem.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Unregistered

I am on xeloda and herceptin. Two months ago, I felt very dizzy and suspected I caught some kind of a bug. I told my onc about it and he said to go off the xeloda for that week. Then, the following month, I had the exact same kind of experience with the dizziness, shakiness and headache. I took tylenol and it went away. This time when I told the onc, I said that tylenol worked and he then said that I should stay on the xeloda. I thought it was from the xeloda, but it may be the herceptin. Also, one of these drugs (or maybe the combination of the two) makes me think that I could have a stroke at any time. My head just feels a lot weirder when I'm on the drugs. God Bless- Cathy
Old 03-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
Sheila

I am having a brain MRI Monday for that very reason...I thought mine was the aftermath from a cold, or possibly a hypoglycemic problem...but it happens out of the blue for no reason, I can be sitting doing nothing or walking..it just hits. I just started getting it and I have been on Herceptin 2 1/2 years now...anyway, I opted for the brain MRI just to be on the safe side...guess I will know after Monday if it is the brain.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Sandy H

Nice picture Sheila! I think I should get a new one myself. Will think about it a little more. Good luck on Monday will be praying for you. Hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
SherriT

Well, day three after the Herceptin/Carboplatin/Taxotere combination and I've still got the "dizzies" happening. It would be much better if it would just go away. It's a very strange feeling--feeling almost 'normal' and yet having the 'dizzy' feeling to go along with it. Quite odd. At least with the new combination of chemo I'm not feeling as nauseated. I guess I should stop complaining about the dizziness then, lol!
SherriT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
jener8er

Thank you all for your responses - I feel better already just knowing I'm not the only one. Good luck Sheila, with your brain MRI - be sure to post your results! I mentioned this to my onc before and he thought it was from a cold I'd had and said if it continues he'd send me to an ENT for inner ear checks... I guess if it keeps happening I'll try again for the brain MRI, although he's already said I don't need one as I'm not metastatic... Trying not to dwell on it too much, just like all of you.

Thanks again
4/20+ Lymph nodes
Stage 3a
Age 38, CA
jener8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
lexigirl

Jen,
I laos get the dizziness now and again, I did get them prior to bc, but now everything is nerve racking. I did have a brain mri and things looked ok.

Sheila, I hope your test goes fine. Keep us posted. Your picture looks great!

Love,
lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote