HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
Lisa

Have any of you filed for Social Security Disability? I got all the files together months ago, but couldn't get return phone calls to answer questions. I DO know that with a Stage IV diagnosis, one can qualify quickly. But my question lies with Medicare. Does anyone know whether you are accepted for Medicare (which I DON'T want to be for insurance purposes) automatically if you file for and receive disability?

Anyone's experiences with this process would be appreciated.

Love and healing light,

Lisa
Old 03-14-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
Kathy

I checked with my doc--even though I was stage 4--I was stable and he did not think disability was appropriate and I have continued to work. I think it depends how sick you are not the stage.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:36 AM   #3
Sheila

Lisa
I was on disability from my company while going through reconstruction, when they found I had mets. My short term disability turned into long term and the ins. company made my apply for Social Security Benefits. They are still being reviewed, and whether or not I receive it will depend on my next scans. I continue to use my personal health ins. If you have any questions, email me. Applications can be done over the web, but you must have a certified birth certificate, wage statements etc to apply...if is a pain in the *@#!!!
Hugs
Sheila
Old 03-15-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
pattyD

I was dx with stage 4 Jan of 2003 -I went on Family Medical leave Act (by law you have 12 weeks of unpaid leave where your job is protected .During that time I applied for my employers long term disability .(I didnt know if I was going back to work at that point or not).
I was told I would have to also apply for Social Security. So my disabilty rep helped with that.
The application is about 10 pages -very detailed. You have to provide alot-also your Dr.But it is required you apply-mine processed pretty quickly- maybe a month- they co-ordinate with disabilty (if you are receiving any) .The wasy it works for me is that my employers disability decided how much I was entitled to (which was determined by my salary). They sent me that much each month. Then once Social security was approved-you will get a monthly check from them for whatever amount they determine you are eligible for (that is based on your overall employment history over the years).
Also, if you are receiving a disability check too, this may be reduced. Overall you will get the same amount of money each month but it will be split between disabilty and SS- I know that is confusing-but what happens is this: Example:
Disabilty awards you $1200 month- You start getting check each month from disabilty. Then your SS is approved say for $800 per month. They pass that on to your disabilty company who then reduces their benifit to you by $800 and start sending you a check for $400 each month. So you still get your $1200 each month - it just comes from 2 sources. I have my checks deposited automatically in my bank acct which is very helpful. I know this is a long posting but hopefully helpful. Feel free to e mail me if you have any questions. The initial application went well and another thing to keep in mind is that if you are on disability through your employer , their rep can put you in touch with an attorney if you have problems with the application getting approved. I never needed to use mine but it was nice to know they were in the wings. PattyD
Old 03-15-2004, 02:02 AM   #5
eleanor

Hi,
If I remember correctly - Medicaid is not automatic when applying for disability. There are certain requirements that have to be met. In my case, I was NOT eligible for Medicaid because I had private insurance. Even without that, because my husband is employed and has insurance, that automatically disqualified me. So, the criteria is that you have no insurance available, and even then (if I remember correctly) there is a waiting period. You can call the SS office and ask them any questions. That would be your best source of info.
xxxxxxx's
el
Old 03-15-2004, 03:33 AM   #6
Anonymous

Lisa,

My experience has been different from those who already posted. I applied for social security and was accepted without any difficulty. I am stage 4, 38 years old, but would not consider myself terribly "sick." My doctor let it be my decision whether I could continue working and raise two small children, not his. Once I decided, he just submitted the facts, a copy of my records. After receiving social security for 6 months you are automatically notified that you are eligible for medicare both part A and B. One is for health coverage, the other is for hospitalization. You then must NOTIFY THEM if you would like to deny this benefit. Your hospital coverage remains, but the other can be denied. I denied the coverage and have never had any difficulty. I continue to have coverage through my husbands work. They have continued full benefits without any question. I have had 2 periods of NED since on social security. One lasted 7 months the other is currently at 10 months. This has also not been a problem. My understanding is the coverage will continue unless I have 3 years of "clean scans." I was assigned a case worker when I first appied. She continues with my case as long as I receive benefits. Although I have only utilized her a few times she has always been extremely helpful, sympathetic and easy to get a hold of.

I hope this helps
Old 03-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Sandy

I drew out my short term disability at work and I did not take out the long term (there was premium for it I had to pay) because I knew it is state manatory that when you sign up for long term disability you have to apply for S.S.D. You have to be out of work for 6 months before you get a check. My short term took me that far. I had no problem getting it and was told with stage 3 or 4 its pretty much automatic-you will get it. Now, the big one is Medicare. You have a 2 year waiting period from the month you receive your first disability check. I was notified shortly after receiving disabilty that I would automaticly get Medicare Part A in 2 years and that was last month. Then, I would have the option to sign up for Part B. I am under my husband's insurance but now he is on S.S.D. so that will run out and Medicare will be next for me in Sept. as that is when his benefits at work will run out. I don't know anything about Medicaid as I will never be able to qualify for that. Part A of Medicare is free (hospital coverage only) and you pay around $60.00 a month for part B. Then, you don't have any drug or dentish coverage and Medicare only pays 80% after $100.00 deductible is met. Really stinks when you think how much our treatments cost. Its better then nothing. I don't know what happens when we go to get Medicare co-insurance to pick the 20% and co pays. I suppose they stick it to us for that. Don't mean to sound negative and I am very fortunate not to have insurance issues but I know lots of our sisters here do and friends of mine nearby that do. Hugs, Sandy
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
esherilynheathd

Re: Social Security disability anyone?

I write about stairlifts reviews at my blog.
esherilynheathd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
candlegranny

i work for the government and before i could file for my disability retirement i had to file for disability social security. first they try SSI but our household in come was too much for that. I applied for disabilithy social security like had to... and i was approved. I have stage 3C breast cancer. I took all my medical record copies with me and turned it in with my claim. I applied in February and got my first check yesterday. I do not have medicare. i have my blue cross and will keep that until i have to get medicare cause of my age.
2.7 cm 18/31 nodes
mets to just above collar bone ( 2 nodes showed in PET)
ER- PR - / Her2 +++ (IHC) Stage 111 C
ki-67 60% nottingham score 7
A/C chemo mar 22,2010 DD
herceptin & taxotere DD june 1,2010
finished taxotere july 12, 2010
finished herceptin 16 May 2011
PET Scan 9 Aug 10, cancer in neck is gone! NED
33 Rads completed 1 Oct 2010
PET/CT Scan 6 Jan 2011 NED
PET/CT Scan 3 Aug 2011
MUGA 59% 3/22/10 -63% 9/23/10 - 51% 1/4/11 - 55% 2/17/11 - 50% 8/3/11
26 Aug 2011 NED
20 Feb 2012 NED
5 Mar 2012 PORT OUT
12 July 2012 DIEP breast reconstruction
23 Aug 2012 NED
15 Nov 2012 new breast tweeked and natural breast uplifted and implant added
17 Feb 2013 NED
27 mar 2013 lipo suction to add fat cells to new breast in hopes for needed adjustment.

"Don't spend your time worrying about when or how you are going to die, spend your time figuring out how you are going to live today". ~Elizabeth Edwards.
candlegranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:38 AM   #10
Jackie07

CureToday has an article pertaining to disability application. It pretty much described the process I had followed to get my 'partial' disability approved (denied, get an attorney, denied again, court hearing, approved):

http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/f...rticle_id/1462

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
EB1203

If you are offered Medicare after you are accepted for Disability benefits PLEASE do research and ask questions. My mother-in-law did not have insurance and therefore accepted it immediately. My grandmother, who does not have breast cancer, got disability and did not accept Medicare since she at the time had private health insurance and now has to wait til she is 65 or pay a ridiculous penalty until then. Please ask questions and think of where you will be with your private health insurance in the future before you just deny it!!! Good Luck and God Bless!
EB1203 is offline   Reply With Quote