HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
RobinP

Adjuvant Pertuzumab and Trastuzumab in Early HER2-Positive Breast Cancer

Hi old freinds here and new,
Have not posted in a long time but saw this in the New England Journal of Medicine regarding Pertuzumab and Herceptin

Adjuvant Pertuzumab and Trastuzumab in Early HER2-Positive Breast Cancer

Gunter von Minckwitz, M.D., Marion Procter, Ph.D., Evandro de Azambuja, M.D., Dimitrios Zardavas, M.D., Mark Benyunes, M.D., Giuseppe Viale, M.D., Thomas Suter, M.D., Amal Arahmani, Ph.D., Nathalie Rouchet, M.Sc., Emma Clark, M.Sc., Adam Knott, Ph.D., Istvan Lang, M.D., Christelle Levy, M.D., Denise A. Yardley, M.D., Jose Bines, M.D., Richard D. Gelber, Ph.D., Martine Piccart, M.D., and Jose Baselga, M.D., for the APHINITY Steering Committee and Investigators*
N Engl J Med 2017; 377:122-131July 13, 2017DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1703643

BACKGROUND
Pertuzumab increases the rate of pathological complete response in the preoperative context and increases overall survival among patients with metastatic disease when it is added to trastuzumab and chemotherapy for the treatment of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)–positive breast cancer. In this trial, we investigated whether pertuzumab, when added to adjuvant trastuzumab and chemotherapy, improves outcomes among patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer.
METHODS
We randomly assigned patients with node-positive or high-risk node-negative HER2-positive, operable breast cancer to receive either pertuzumab or placebo added to standard adjuvant chemotherapy plus 1 year of treatment with trastuzumab. We assumed a 3-year invasive-disease–free survival rate of 91.8% with pertuzumab and 89.2% with placebo.
RESULTS
In the trial population, 63% of the patients who were randomly assigned to receive pertuzumab (2400 patients) or placebo (2405 patients) had node-positive disease and 36% had hormone-receptor–negative disease. Disease recurrence occurred in 171 patients (7.1%) in the pertuzumab group and 210 patients (8.7%) in the placebo group (hazard ratio, 0.81; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.66 to 1.00; P=0.045). The estimates of the 3-year rates of invasive-disease–free survival were 94.1% in the pertuzumab group and 93.2% in the placebo group. In the cohort of patients with node-positive disease, the 3-year rate of invasive-disease–free survival was 92.0% in the pertuzumab group, as compared with 90.2% in the placebo group (hazard ratio for an invasive-disease event, 0.77; 95% CI, 0.62 to 0.96; P=0.02). In the cohort of patients with node-negative disease, the 3-year rate of invasive-disease–free survival was 97.5% in the pertuzumab group and 98.4% in the placebo group (hazard ratio for an invasive-disease event, 1.13; 95% CI, 0.68 to 1.86; P=0.64). Heart failure, cardiac death, and cardiac dysfunction were infrequent in both treatment groups. Diarrhea of grade 3 or higher occurred almost exclusively during chemotherapy and was more frequent with pertuzumab than with placebo (9.8% vs. 3.7%).
CONCLUSIONS
Pertuzumab significantly improved the rates of invasive-disease–free survival among patients with HER2-positive, operable breast cancer when it was added to trastuzumab and chemotherapy. Diarrhea was more common with pertuzumab than with placebo. (Funded by F. Hoffmann–La Roche/Genentech; APHINITY ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01358877.)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
StephN

Wink Re: Adjuvant Pertuzumab and Trastuzumab in Early HER2-Positive Breast Cancer

Thanks, Robin.
Nice to see you here.

I trust all is well with you.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote