HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
Donna H

Question scar tissue

I had a lumpectomy in early April. I have finished chemo and rads with only 5 more Herceptins to go. Here is my problem. I have significant scar tissue at lumpectomy site - the scar tissue lump is at least as large as what was removed and that was 5cm x 2.5cm. I am trying to decide if I should have the scar tissue removed. It is uncomfortable to lay on that side and sometimes it hurts. My GP thinks it should be removed. My onc doesn't seem to have an opinion. The positive side to having the scar tissue is that it is not as noticeable that I had part of my breast removed! The posts/threads on this site have been so helpful through this journey I thought who better to ask - what should I do? PS - if I remove scar tissue I will probably need (want) reconstruction and that is frightening.
Thanks
Donna
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: scar tissue

Donna, I had scar tissue too although had my breast surgeon check it first to be sure in case I needed a biopsy. I didn't feel any soreness though and in your situation I think I'd see a breast surgeon to see what can be done to make this more comfortable for you.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Debbie L.

Donna, I would include your rads onc in the loop, as he/she may have an opinion on whether it might be better to wait longer, for the rads damage to resolve as much as possible, before contemplating more surgery. I think everyone is different in how rads affects the tissue. But rads definitely does, to some degree, affect how the tissue will heal.

Do you know if you tend to form excess scar tissue (keloids) in general? If so, again -- get the most expert opinions that you can, so that you don't end up with an extra surgery, but (again) still more scar tissue.

There is no rush to make this decision. Can you gather opinions from both oncology surgeon(s), plastic surgeon()s, and rads onc(s)? If you're not entirely satisfied at any point, this would be an excellent time for a second opinion.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Shirley

Donna,

I had a DEIP recon last fall, followed by a revision surgery to smooth out the scars and even things up 3 weeks ago. The DIEP surgery was about 10 months after radiation. Depending on the plastic surgeon, they will have you wait 6-12 months for surgery following rads. I healed up fine after the DEIP, but this most recent revision has been a different story. My skin after the revision got really red and has started to peel (though not as bad as what happened during radiation--ugh), and my surgeon said it could take a month to heal and for the redness to improve due to the radiation. He put me on antibiotics for a week. But it was still worth it to me because he was able to dramatically reduce the scarring (both on the breast and on the tummy scar) so in the long run I think I’ll be happier with it.

I think there is an excellent chance that a plastic surgeon could do something about your scarring. Just know that it might take longer to heal than someone without radiated skin. I encourage you to check it out.

Shirley
  • Neoadjuvant TCH chemo started 5-15-13 (4 rounds, 3 weeks apart)
  • Unilateral Mx w/expander 8-22-13 (right side)
  • 5/5 nodes Neg
  • clear margins but close. Tumor at removal down to 2.2 cm.
  • Radiation 6 wks starting 10-17-13.
  • Herceptin every 3 weeks until 4-23-14
  • DIEP/Mastopexy 10-8-14, U of WA
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #5
europa

I had the same thing. I spoke to several plastic surgeons and my own grandmother who was a plastic surgeon.mthey all said the same thing....leave it alone. They said the body would re absorb the fluid that was built up in the scar. My scar was hard and huge for over a year. It's been three years since my surgery and I can still feel a grape size scar. You can try to massage the scar with a little coconut oil once a day to help break up the fluid but the body will eventually re absorb it
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
Shirley

Also, my PS recommended a scar reducing product called "Scar Fade" which Amazon sells. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to. I used an antioxidant facial cream on the original mastectomy scar and that scar looks great, but I can't say for sure it was due to the cream. The Scar Fade product is a silicone-based band aid sort of application.
  • 5/5 nodes Neg
Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
Donna H

Hi Shirley-
Thanks to all for responding. Question for Shirley - what is DEIP recon?
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Shirley

DIEP= Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforforators. It is a reconstruction method that transplants fat from the tummy to the breast, following mastectomy. It results in a natural looking breast using your own tissue. Not everyone is a candidate for this type of reconstruction--you have to have enough belly fat. My PS says he can do them even on skinny marathon runners, not sure how, but he works miracles.

You've had a lumpectomy so this wouldn't be for you. Maybe they could remove the scar you have and do some fat grafting....I'm not sure. Plastic surgeons can do so much these days for BC patients.

Shirley
  • 5/5 nodes Neg