HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Jean

Okay I need to vent here it goes....

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/126019.php

I am really angry that many of my sisters were not given hercetpin because they were early stage or not in a time line after chemo. (By 2004, 2005 especially)
dr. were aware of Her2 and how aggressive it was. I remember clearly the day I met with my surgeon after my surgery to discuss my pathology report. He told me how well my surgery went, clear margins, that I was estrogen positive pr negative, BUT I had to ask him
about HER2...yes he told I was positive , but not to worry since I had was node neg. and caught my cancer early with a small tumor.

I was very annoyed at him, and started to ask him about herceptin. He just said I doubt you will need chemo/
let alone herceptin. But you can talk to the onc.

Okay - This was in 2005 and I knew from the moment I read my pathology report and being Her2 I needed hercetpin.
Tell me, why when Dr. Slamon was telling
other onc. that all women who are Her2 should be treated with herceptin were not given the drug off label? Why ....it is a shame.

I had to fight and battle, see 4 different top dr. in New York and at this point one onc. was telling my husband I should seek some help since I was not accepting my dx.

I should just lay day and accept I could not have herceptin. I am really annoyed that dr. who are the top in the field told me and I am certain thousands of other women the same bad information.

I finally went out to see Dr. Slamon whose exact words were "the Dr. in NY missed the boat" yea, they did and
at my exspense to my health and many other sisters.
I did get hercetpin 11 months later and only because
I refused to listen.

Did I appear to be a bit crazy to freinds and family, I am sure I did when day after day I pushed for treatment.
I had to endure listening to a best friend (who is not longer) what is wrong with you, you caught your cancer early you are fine. Family who thought I was way too intense!

Well, when I came back home from Calif. after seeing Dr. Slamon and started treatment, know what? Many felt so bad for what they did and said they could not feel comfortable and face me.

I sit and wonder how many other of my sisters had this pain and frustration. I have never allowed myself to feel the anger until today when I read the above article.

Also after seeing the Lifetime movie of Dr. Slamon I really don't know how he puts up with the road blocks and frustration.
So forgive me ...but I needed to voice this.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006